Reading WoT

Ghanderflaffle

Huzzah!! Another has begun the noble quest of reading the long, long series of the Wheel of Time! One thing to note about the series, however, (and I'm only on book 10, but this is my experience thus far) is that all of the books kinda meld together into one giant mega-book. Like, the first chapter of the 2nd book could pretty easily go right after the last chapter of the first book. I find this kinda nice and annoying at the same time; I get really hooked on the story because of it, but at the same time, I can't really remember what happens in what book. Any who, it's a really good series, even the "boring parts" which really aren't that boring!! I hope you enjoy it:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is a great series. I remember being very frustrated in the middle of it, but by the end I was wishing for 5 more books. It's true, though, that it does all blur together. If you asked me what happened at the end of the 5th book, I'd have no idea. I don't even know if I could name the titles in order. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think there are spoilers here, other than writing names of characters in books that are later in the series.  If that is considered a spoiler, then I'm sorry.

I've re-read the first 7-8 books at least 9 times (well read twice, listened to seven times).  By the time I get to the Path of Daggers, things really slow down and I usually either stop at book 7, or do some heavy skipping on the rest of the books.  I think I re-read Brandon's contribution 3 times, and to be honest the story picks back up on Knife of Dreams.  If you were a new reader, I think you could skip Crossroads of Twilight altogether and not miss a whole lot (I think there is one chapter in there that I really liked, the one written in Tuon's voice, if that is even in Crossroads of Twilight, it might be in Knife of Dreams.)  

Every time I start a re-read I love the books.  I always pick up new things.  Brandon did as good of a job finishing it as anyone could have, but I still cringe at his writing of Mat and Perrin.  Although Perrin get better in A Memory of Light, Mat never recovers.  I think if you want to see Mat the way Jordan wanted Mat to be, you have to read Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams to see his peak.  By the end of Knife of Dreams, Tuon knows Matt to be a great general and there is no need for her to rediscover that in A Memory of Light.  Also, the General of the Deathwatch Guards basically disappears after Knife of Dreams.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Brandon's work, and the way he was able to tie the series off as well as he did is a great accomplishment and one I'll be forever thankful for, but in the Wheel of Time, he is not Robert Jordan.  I think he'd agree.

BTW, if you liked WoT, you should read The Warrior of the Altaii.  Jordan's widow released it late last year.  It was written prior to the WoT, but you can see some of the WoT in its early stages.  It is an entertaining read, if unpolished.

Edited by Broiler