Using Awakening to forget

Extesian

“That man saw and did terrible things,” Denth said. “I’ve tried, Vasher. I’ve tried going back. But the darkness … it’s inside. I can’t escape it. My laughter has an edge to it. I can’t forget.” “I can make you,” Vasher said. “I know the Commands.” Denth froze. “I promise,” Vasher said. “I will take it all from you, if you wish.”

I just have to go offtopic to remark how similar this situation is to dalinar.

and now i weep for what denth could have been

22 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I just have to go offtopic to remark how similar this situation is to dalinar.

and now i weep for what denth could have been

He really could've. It was a fascinating form of honor and telling of his original character that he simply didn't think he deserved it.

Now we only need Vasher to teach Ash, heal her guilt

Though does make me wonder why vasher, who killed his wife to stop knowledge of awakened sapient blades getting out only to (already or soon) find out Vivenna has one that isn't a Nightmare, doesn't remove his memory of killing her. Maybe because he would have to remove all memory of her and doesnt want to. 

Edited by Extesian

On 8/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, Extesian said:

An often forgotten use of Awakening is to forget. The Shardcast discussed this on the Five Scholars episode but the confusion inspired me to post my theory on this. 

The commonly assumed answer is a type of self awakening that creates a copied portion of the soul with Breath, that overlays on the real soul (like Forgery) and effectively excludes that memory. Well at least that was my previous theory and I think others. Go with it if you will. But as always I like the out-of-the-box ideas.

We know that Awakening is unusual in that it can be powered by any investiture. (Relevant part in italics)

We also know this from Vasher keeping his Divine Breath secured with Stormlight.

You may already see where I'm going. It will use any investiture, including your own soul.

So I propose that the Command to forget is simply a Command that makes the awakening draw on the investiture that makes up that part of the spiritweb that contains that memory, as fuel. What the Awakening achieves is irrelevant. What's relevant is that you no longer have that memory because the investiture that comprised it is eaten. 

Kind of like...you guessed it...hemalurgy.

Well 

And in case you wonder how memories could be investiture, a Keeper does just that, converts memories into investiture to put into a metalmind.

TLDR

Awakening can feed on any investiture so the command to awaken, like excising part of the spiritweb like hemalurgy does, is a command that fuels itself with the investiture that the part of the spiritweb that stores that memory is made from.

Footnote 

If memories are cognitive not spritual, my backup argument is that even if they're cognitive the cognitive aspect is for now made of investiture so it would be that instead of using the investiture in the spirit web as fuel you use the investiture that comprises that part of the cognitive aspect that forms the memory. Either way you're removing the memory by removing the investiture

I think that this is a great theory. It's reinforced by the fact that the Command required to excise a bit of someone's spiritweb in such a way must be incredibly complex. The quote with Denth implies that he himself doesn't know them, which would make sense if taken with this theory. In fact, I think it's quite possible that Vasher is either one of the best or the very best Awakener in the Cosmere, which could mean that he's the only one who knows the Commands. 

It also makes me wonder if that's similar to how Cultivation removed Dalinar's memories...but that's a bit of a stretch. Anyway, I love this idea!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic