Chapter narrator in book 3

darkmoods

Hello,

quick question that bothers me. I'm listening to the audiobooks and have not read the books themselves. Do the readers know who the narrator is in Book 3 or is the audiobook giving us more clues than we should have?

In the audiobook, it's obviously Sazed that is reading those tidbits at the start of the various chapters, which brings me to guess that he is going to become some sort of god, either Preservation itself or some sort of new entity that will absorb/imprison Ruin. I feel like I shouldn't be able to make this kind of guesses, am I right ? Are they anonymous in the physical book or are they signed Sazed or whatever name he has after his transformation from human to godhood ?

I'm at the point in the book where Vin got transferred to a cell under Yomen.

thanks

1 hour ago, darkmoods said:

quick question that bothers me. I'm listening to the audiobooks and have not read the books themselves. Do the readers know who the narrator is in Book 3 or is the audiobook giving us more clues than we should have?

Very good question.  It could be neither or both.

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

its been a while but I don't remember there being any indication that sazed wrote those chapter begginings. Course I never read those.

Mistborn spoilers!

16 minutes ago, darkmoods said:

but how is the text framed in the book? I'm guessing it's not like block of text then under it -Sazed. are those quotes signed ?

I believe they are epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter.  They are not signed and don't look at @Aluminum.

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

It's not supposed to be clear that it's Sazed. You're supposed to think it's Vin writing it. 

This is still Spoilers.  He has not finished the book yet.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is still Spoilers.  He has not finished the book yet.

As per the OP's post:

" I feel like I shouldn't be able to make this kind of guesses, am I right ?"

The OP is asking for confirmation. 

4 hours ago, darkmoods said:

Are they anonymous in the physical book

The answer is yes.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

As per the OP's post:

" I feel like I shouldn't be able to make this kind of guesses, am I right ?"

The OP is asking for confirmation. 

It is still spoiling to say one way or the other.

42 minutes ago, Karger said:

It is still spoiling to say one way or the other.

The OP is asking to be spoiled. 

"I'm listening to the audiobooks and have not read the books themselves. Do the readers know who the narrator is in Book 3 or is the audiobook giving us more clues than we should have?

In the audiobook, it's obviously Sazed that is reading those tidbits at the start of the various chapters, which brings me to guess that he is going to become some sort of god, either Preservation itself or some sort of new entity that will absorb/imprison Ruin. I feel like I shouldn't be able to make this kind of guesses, am I right ? Are they anonymous in the physical book or are they signed Sazed or whatever name he has after his transformation from human to godhood ?"

The OP has already decided and for themselves deduced the source of the epigraphs. They are only asking if the book was as obvious. I will tag the OP so they may confirm or deny

@darkmoods could you please clarify?

45 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

The OP has already decided and for themselves deduced the source of the epigraphs. They are only asking if the book was as obvious. I will tag the OP so they may confirm or deny

Spoiler

What if they had previously decided that it was obviously Vin?

7 hours ago, darkmoods said:

25 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Then you didn't read the OP's post. I will wait for their response. 

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

And I already quoted that the OP says they think it is obviously Sazed (their words

That was just a response to your accusation that I did not even read the prompt.  It was a somewhat unfair assumption and I just wanted you to know what sparked my concern.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

That was just a response to your accusation that I did not even read the prompt.  It was a somewhat unfair assumption and I just wanted you to know what sparked my concern.

Once again, waiting on the OP to ring in. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

you didn't read

23 minutes ago, Karger said:

That was just a response to your accusation that I did not even read the prompt.  It was a somewhat unfair assumption

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Once again, waiting on the OP to ring in. 

Sorry, I did not mean to cause any trouble. The way they made the audiobooks, it is obviously sazed talking. I had a hunch that was giving me way more information than I should have and it was bothering me very early on in the 3rd book. I am still not sure what this tells me but I think I would have preferred to have it anonymous and guess it was vin talking and then have the reveal later.

You guys have not spoiled anything I didn't guess from knowing it was sazed talking. I think it's a mistake on the audiobook production part, although idk how they could have done it otherwise. Maybe give him a new voice after his ordeal (still not sure how he is transformed to have all that knowledge of both Gods and the beginning of the world/humans but I'm sure he's changed). Elend pretty much has a new voice with his new authority; sazed could have changed too. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for taking the time. I binged listen today and I have about 5h left.

Talk to you soon!

Edited by darkmoods
Autocorrect on phone

13 hours ago, darkmoods said:

Sorry, I did not mean to cause any trouble. The way they made the audiobooks, it is obviously sazed talking. I had a hunch that was giving me way more information than I should have and it was bothering me very early on in the 3rd book. I am still not sure what this tells me but I think I would have preferred to have it anonymous and guess it was vin talking and then have the reveal later.

You guys have not spoiled anything I didn't guess from knowing it was sazed talking. I think it's a mistake on the audiobook production part, although idk how they could have done it otherwise. Maybe give him a new voice after his ordeal (still not sure how he is transformed to have all that knowledge of both Gods and the beginning of the world/humans but I'm sure he's changed). Elend pretty much has a new voice with his new authority; sazed could have changed too. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for taking the time. I binged listen today and I have about 5h left.

Talk to you soon!

No problem. Glad it all got clarified. That is a point regarding voice actors. I would agree and say that a different voice actor should have been used so not to be as obvious, but then again the tone of the written epigraphs was written with the intention to sound like him to provide that hint. Just unfortunately having the same exact voice might have made that hint a bit too obvious. Either way, glad you are enjoying the books all the same!

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2019 at 9:37 AM, darkmoods said:

Hello,

In the audiobook, it's obviously Sazed that is reading those tidbits at the start of the various chapters, which brings me to guess that he is going to become some sort of god, either Preservation itself or some sort of new entity that will absorb/imprison Ruin. I feel like I shouldn't be able to make this kind of guesses, am I right ? Are they anonymous in the physical book or are they signed Sazed or whatever name he has after his transformation from human to godhood ?

thanks

It’s not supposed to be obvious whom the author of the epigraphs is. But you can figure it out as the author’s voice is very present.

It’s far more obvious than the first epigraph in TFE, which reveals the identity of the HoA - but only in reread (though you CAN catch it before.)

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

• Chaos locked this topic