So I am not sure how far fetched this theory/question is or whether it is a silly one. I am on my second reading of the Stormlight Archives as I realized I missed a lot of things during my first reading.

Now we know that Brandon Sanderson has a habit of foreshadowing a lot of major reveals in the books. I was wondering whether Tien's fascination with rocks and the manner in which Rock got his original name (after a special rock that his father discovered a few days before his birth) could be a foreshadowing to something special in the series later. 

2 hours ago, Kaladin-Stormblessed said:

So I am not sure how far fetched this theory/question is or whether it is a silly one. I am on my second reading of the Stormlight Archives as I realized I missed a lot of things during my first reading.

Now we know that Brandon Sanderson has a habit of foreshadowing a lot of major reveals in the books. I was wondering whether Tien's fascination with rocks and the manner in which Rock got his original name (after a special rock that his father discovered a few days before his birth) could be a foreshadowing to something special in the series later. 

Rock's name means something like "the overlooked stone."  Basically his father had a revelation about appreciating that which witch he had overlooked in nature.  Tein likes rocks because as a Lightweaver he could see more colors then the people around him.  It is also a theme.  Tein sees beauty in things Kaladin finds boring.

It is against the rules of writing to bring back someone from the dead, so I do not think that Tien will be in any of the next SA books. Yanagawn, the new prime of Azir was brought back from the dead but that was right after he died, and he was not a big character before that. Tien has a big impact on Kaladin and Kaladin may or may not have the most chapters, so that association makes Tien important. He will not be brought back from the dead.

By something special, do you mean that Rock's dad could be a Lightweaver? That's why Tien was fascinated with rocks, after all. To that, I reply that it's unlikely, but possible. Horneater names are poems, as Rock explained, and it seems more likely that this was an unrelated naming trend. As we see on page 329 of Oathbringer, he himself named two of his children after rocks. (Quote below)

“Next son is Rock, but not same kind of Rock as me. This is … um … smaller Rock."

Still, it's an interesting thought.

Honestly with Brandon, I'd be ready for anything. However, I agree with the other posts here. Although it may be something even more general. Maybe a literal rock or something to do with a rock may be important. 

Honestly who knows. But nice thought. ^_^

• Chaos locked this topic