Pattern's Voice

nofrodelius

So, I tend to be a very immersive reader. The scenes of a book play out in my head like a Hollywood action film, complete with camera angles, character voices, and sound effects. Sometimes, my mind will alter or add to character appearances and voices automatically, just because it 'feels right' (even though these alterations sometimes contradict the book). One such alteration that my mind came up with was a particular speech... erm, pattern... that Pattern used.

Pattern tends to enjoy humming... a lot. I believe he is even described as 'vibrating' on more than one occasion in the series. This led my mind to do something rather interesting with how Pattern pronounced s, x, and z. For example, take this phrase from Words of Radiance:

"Insults in particular will be of great use to my people, as they are truths and lies combined in a quite interesting manner."

When reading this sentence in Pattern's voice, my mind tended to shift to humming, vibrating, and nasal-based noises, with some of the sounds extended to emphasize the vibrating effect. Here's an attempt to write out how it sounded in my head:

"Inzultzz in particular will be of great uuze to my people, azz they are truthz and liez combined in a quite interezzting manner."

Another example, which is even harder to decipher (and write, sorry):

"You fear nonexistence, but is not unconsciousness the same thing?"

"You fear noneggziztenzz, but is not unconjjiouznezz the szame thing?"

Additionally, Pattern's voice was high for a male, almost affecting the classic 'nerd' voice (pinch your nose and pretend to be smart and you'll see what I mean). However, his voice deepened a bit when in Shadesmar. I believe that my mind made this jump because his form in the Cognitive Realm better reflects his true age and nature, as opposed to the condensed version that appears in the Physical Realm.

I wondered if anyone else had given Pattern a bit of the same 'vibration' effect when hearing his voice in your head? What other characters did you give vocal quirks to as you were reading?

Edited by nofrodelius

Welcome.  I believe that their is a thread that someone started for this somewhere.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, RShara said:

Hmmmm Hm. Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmm. Hmmmm Hmmmm. Hm Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hm Hm. Hmmmm Hm. Hmmmm Hmmmm Hm.

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic