Vin in Hero of Ages

Henro

i'm in the middle of Hero of Ages. When I finished The Well of Ascension, and thought that Vin dealing with her guilt about releasing Ruin into the world and potentially destroying it would play a big part in this book. But so far, it hasn't really come up at all. I would think she would feel just a little bit guilty, right?

13 minutes ago, Henro said:

i'm in the middle of Hero of Ages. When I finished The Well of Ascension, and thought that Vin dealing with her guilt about releasing Ruin into the world and potentially destroying it would play a big part in this book. But so far, it hasn't really come up at all. I would think she would feel just a little bit guilty, right?

She does not exactly know what she has done and neither do you.  Also what else could she have done?  Also Vin is a practical thinker.  Guilt is not a particularly useful emotion in this case.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, Henro said:

Its been awhile since I have read it, but I could have sworn there is a touching scene between Vin and either Elend or Sazed (or both), where she laments releasing Ruin, and blaming herself. 

Well, there's a year between the end of Well and the beginning of Hero. I think by the time the book starts she's moved into full "let's do something about it" mode. And it is mentioned. Also...

On 8/3/2019 at 9:21 PM, Karger said:

Also Vin is a practical thinker.  Guilt is not a particularly useful emotion in this case.

She's not the type of person to dwell on things. She is a primarily active rather than contemplative kind of person, in contrast to Elend and Sazed.

Another potential factor is HEAVILY spoilery for the end of the book:

Spoiler

Ruin is influencing Vin's emotions for this whole book, see 'we need to find the atium!'

• 1 month later...

Vin is a very down-to-earth person and possibly she feels guilty but doesn't tear her robes but tries to mend it somehow and fix her mistakes. I can't really imagine Vin lamenting but acting. That's what I love in Vin among many things, not overthinking and not crying over spilt milk.

Edited by Kualo

• Chaos locked this topic