aneonfoxtribute

The character's callsigns

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm dumb and managed to forget all of the characters call signs. Can't find anywhere they're listed, and I don't actually own the book. Could someone help me out and tell me them? Thanks

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Hi, I'm dumb and managed to forget all of the characters call signs. Can't find anywhere they're listed, and I don't actually own the book. Could someone help me out and tell me them? Thanks

Spensa is Spin, Freyja (which is a name you probably forgot) is FM, Jorgen is Jerface. Hudiyah (may she rest in peace) was Hurl. Nedd is Nedder. Kimmalyn is Quirk. Rodge is Rigmaroll. Arturo is Amphisbaena. Bim never got a callsign. Can't remember Morningtide's actual name. 

Cobb is Mongrel and Judy Ivans is Ironsides. Spensa's dad was Chaser (his real name was Zeen Nightshade)

Hope that's enough for you!

Edited by RayOfSunshine
grammatical error

On 8/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, RayOfSunshine said:

Spensa is Spin, Freyja (which is a name you probably forgot) is FM, Jorgen is Jerface. Hudiyah (may she rest in peace) was Hurl. Nedd is Nedder. Kimmalyn is Quirk. Rodge is Rigmaroll. Arturo is Amphisbaena. Bim never got a callsign. Can't remember Morningtide's actual name. 

Cobb is Mongrel and Judy Ivans is Ironsides. Spensa's dad was Chaser (his real name was Zeen Nightshade)

Hope that's enough for you!

Interesting point about Cobb (is Cobb is first name?) and Judy (and Zeen): their call names don't start with the first letter/sound of their first names like all of the new recruits do.

21 hours ago, Govir said:

Interesting point about Cobb (is Cobb is first name?) and Judy (and Zeen): their call names don't start with the first letter/sound of their first names like all of the new recruits do.

Probably some behind-the-scenes tinkering by the God Beyond whose name is Brandon to make it easier for readers to remember the names. Though as a tiny nitpick, the first syllable of Kimmalyn's callsign isn't identical to her name, just kinda close. And poor poor Jerkface, he really wanted a cooler callsign but unfortunately his first pick (Jaeger) was taken, then Spensa nominated him for the callsign we all know and love. :lol:

Cobb's callsign actually does share the initial letter of his first name, which is Matthew.

Before this is done I think he'll get a new callsign since Brokenwind can sound cool and childish at the same time while Jerkface just sounds childish and mean.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:33 PM, Weltall said:

Cobb's callsign actually does share the initial letter of his first name, which is Matthew.

Nice. I didn't remember that Cobb's first name is Matthew.

Posted (edited)

I didn't either; That's what the Coppermind is for. :D

On 8/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, Angsos said:

Before this is done I think he'll get a new callsign since Brokenwind can sound cool and childish at the same time while Jerkface just sounds childish and mean.

Amusingly, the way Jorgen got his callsign is more true to life than the rest of Skyward Flight (and by implication the DDF as a whole) who all pick their own. Callsigns in real life usually come from your fellow pilots or senior officers and can indeed be intentionally insulting. One wonders what names the rest of Skyward Flight would have wound up with if everyone's callsigns were assigned in that manner, but I'm guessing the Doylist reason it didn't happen (like why the names are almost universally connected to their real names) is because it would have required more page space and a longer span of time before it could reasonably happen. But if that had happened, Kimmalyn would definitely have ended up with Saint.

Edited by Weltall