minor grammatical questions

King of Herdaz

• 3 weeks later...

As someone whose native language isn't english, can someone maybe explain the grammar of "Knights Radiant" to me? It is a noun followed by an adjective (or is it a latin participle in anglicised form?) Shouldn't it, theoretically, be "Radiant Knights"? Like "this is a long book" instead of "this is a book long". I mean, I have read enough english to know that Knights Radiant "feels" better, and I know that it's the same with "Knights Errant" but.... still, is there any grammatical reason for why it is that way? 

4 hours ago, bxcnch said:

As someone whose native language isn't english, can someone maybe explain the grammar of "Knights Radiant" to me? It is a noun followed by an adjective (or is it a latin participle in anglicised form?) Shouldn't it, theoretically, be "Radiant Knights"? Like "this is a long book" instead of "this is a book long". I mean, I have read enough english to know that Knights Radiant "feels" better, and I know that it's the same with "Knights Errant" but.... still, is there any grammatical reason for why it is that way? 

It's just a different way of doing things.  It's not very common in English - I'm sure we borrowed it from some other language, maybe French. 

There are a number of other English phrases that operate the same: attorneys general, sisters-in-law.  

You can put the adjective (or adjective phrase) either before or after the noun, but the noun is the one that becomes plural.  "Knights Radiant" isn't really any different than "Knights of the Round Table."  Sometimes it just sounds better to put the modifier after the noun, rather than e.g. "Round Table Knights."  

• Chaos locked this topic