It's The Same Guy!

beetm

So I'm a pretty casual reader of Fantasy, I don't follow the latest trends or hot authors, or anything like that. Usually I'll just wander around picking books randomly, sometimes they're way out of date. I don't care. Well a few years ago I read the original Mistborn Trilogy, actually I loved The Final Empire so much I immediately followed it up with The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages which is quite unusual for me, I just loved them so much, the characters, the allomantic magic system. Loved it!

Fast forward a few years and someone recommends The Stormlight Archives, Nah, I rarely do series unless The first book just gets it. Then I pick up this book called "The Way Of Kings", and I'm enjoying it so much I look up the author.................... It's the same guy! It's The Mistborn dude! And I've fallen into The Stormlight Archives by accident! Well this guy obviously knows what he's doing, so here I am. For the first time ever I'm following an author because everything I've read so far just fits.

Hello.

13 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hello and welcome! Have fun looking around, this community is wonderful. Whatever you end up eating, we're glad you're eating it here :P 

Who are your favorite characters?

You mean Mistborn or The Way Of Kings?

In Mistborn I thought Vin was a deeper character than most, even Kelsier, but some of the group dynamics were really good. The relationship between Breeze and Ham could have been expanded, having said that I enjoyed all of them to one extent or another, or even as a whole.

I haven't finished The Way Of Kings yet, (No Spoilers!!) but apart from Shallan and Dalinar, Kaladin and Jasnah stand out as Characters with an arc yet to come. (Why do I get the feeling some of you just smiled??). 

Like I alluded to in my original post, I'm no expert, whatever that is, I just know what I like, and I like the books that Mr Sanderson writes apparently.

Just now, beetm said:

In Mistborn I thought Vin was a deeper character than most, even Kelsier, but some of the group dynamics were really good. The relationship between Breeze and Ham could have been expanded, having said that I enjoyed all of them to one extent or another, or even as a whole.

I'll leave off the WoK talk till you're done reading and focus on Mistborn, which is my favorite series by Sanderson! I love Kelsier, he's probably my all-time fave out of any of the books, but when I first read Mistborn (many years ago), Vin left the deepest impression on me. I also love TenSoon <3

Have you read any of Mistborn Era 2? I highly recommend it!

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I'll leave off the WoK talk till you're done reading and focus on Mistborn, which is my favorite series by Sanderson! I love Kelsier, he's probably my all-time fave out of any of the books, but when I first read Mistborn (many years ago), Vin left the deepest impression on me. I also love TenSoon <3

Have you read any of Mistborn Era 2? I highly recommend it!

No I haven't. I balked at it when I found out it is set Centuries after the original right? Now I'm more aware of Mr Sanderson's works I could probably be persuaded.

Just now, beetm said:

No I haven't. I balked at it when I found out it is set Centuries after the original right? Now I'm more aware of Mr Sanderson's works I could probably be persuaded.

It's not as epic in scope as Era 1, but as long as you take it as its own thing, Era 2 is wonderful. I'm hugely biased toward Scadrial in general though, anything set there has my heart. Plus, the Metallic Arts are the coolest of Sanderson's magic systems in my opinion!

1 hour ago, beetm said:

Era 2 is amazing and I highly recommend you read it. The last book in Era 2 will be coming out in the next few years, too, so it's a good time.

I also highly recommend the rest of the cosmere (WarbreakerElantrisArcanum Unbounded, etc.). Full cosmere marathons are fun.

Anyway, welcome to the Shard! Hope you enjoy your time here!

• 2 weeks later...