Where did all the shardblades go?!!?

Lightblood

So we know at the recreance through the vision that Dalinar see's that the Knight radiants leave their blades and plate at the fields in front of feverstone keep. But we know that there aren't hundreds upon hundreds of blades and plate in roshar so what happened to them all?!?!

Within two hundred years of the Recreance, knowledge of the Radiants was already beginning to be lost. It was difficult to distinguish facts, superstition, and lore.[19] At some point, many Shardblades were lost, as hundreds were dropped during the Recreance and only around eighty are known in the modern world.[1]

So what happened to them, were they recovered by the shin or taken offworld? and if they were taken offworld than why haven't we seen them in other worlds? Either this is a massive mistake or suddenly we're gonna be shocked by hundreds of shardweilding shin riders in the immediate future? Any thoughts or theories on where they might be?

26 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

So what happened to them, were they recovered by the shin or taken offworld? and if they were taken offworld than why haven't we seen them in other worlds? Either this is a massive mistake or suddenly we're gonna be shocked by hundreds of shardweilding shin riders in the immediate future? Any thoughts or theories on where they might be?

Taking a blade offworld is problematic assuming they follow the same rules as living spren.  I personally think that some are kept safe in shadesmar by their spren relatives, some were lost beneath the accumulating crem(drop a shadeblade and a couple highstorms latter no one will find it), and that some are owned by secret organizations(like Nale's Skybreaker's, the ghostbloods, and the Shin Shamanate).

I always assumed that after the events of feverstone keep the other radiants realized that they shouldn't leave their shards with the humans. They broke their oaths in secret caves and hid them away. As for the fact that there were more shards in feverstone keep then there are now. I just think that before humans learned how to bond to blades they lost some. Shardcast did a great episode on this topic

41 minutes ago, I lost my flute said:

I agree with Karger and think many are being held in Shadesmar. But also remember that the Skybreakers would not be able to use the dead shards because they would scream.

Helaran was aiming to join the organization of the skybreakers, and was provided a dead shardblade to use by them. So you could belong to the organization, but not the order at the same time and thereby be able to wield one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the theory that the Shin have them. We know they have the Honorblades, revere them, but also train at least some people in their use (And apparently have a system where they occasionally send someone out in the world with them as Truthless, and recover them afterwards.)

What is a place most people from Roshar don't go? Shinovar, where there are already people taking care of the Honorblades.

Also, it might be a reason for those Shin invasions of Roshar, claiming and hiding the Shardblades. Since we know the Shin look down on warriors because they cause destruction, maybe they pushed for warriors to walk on unholy ground in order to retrieve the Shardblades, removing their destructive force from the world.  It may also play into why those invasions were so effective, although I would think the idea of Shin using Shardblades would probably have made it to modern day history.

Edited by Preventer Wind
Expanding Shin Invasion Theory

If the majority of them were left by Feverstone Keep, that's roughly in northwestern Roshar (since it has relevance to Rall Elorim), and we've hardly gotten a thing about that region.  Rall Elorim has a reputation of some sort, but we know as little about it as anything else.  The point being, for all we know people avoid it too.  I am suspicious that it being "just like they say" is that people call the place cursed, myself.

The missing shardblades might not be on Roshar any longer

I agree that the Shin Shamans probably have some. They do have the Honorblades after all.

The Skybreakers and Ghostbloods may have some others.

but hey, Shardblades are useful. Maybe Hoid or some other worldhopper is stockpiling them

Hell, it's possible that the Seventeenth shard holds most of the missing Shardblades

I doubt they've gotten off-world because they are still spren and that would be difficult.  We've seen that some deadeyes are being cared for in Shadesmar, so that accounts for a some amount of missing blades at least.  Various groups on Roshar could conceivably be stockpiling them with the Shin, the Skybreakers, and to a lesser extent the Parshendi potentially hoarding some.  The Ghostbloods might have some, but I doubt the Sons of Honor do (they seem like a much more recent development).  

It wouldn't surprise me if a certain amount are at the bottom of Roshar's ocean, a few more sealed in hardened crem or under rocks, but there are more unaccounted for than feels natural for "Dropped somewhere it can't be retrieved from" to be the primary answer to where they went. Especially with how much value is placed on the shards.

Edited by TherianTheorist

Where have all the shardblades gone?

Long time passing.

Where have all the shardblades gone, long long time ago?

Young girls pick them, every one.

When will they ever learn?  When will they ever learn?

17 hours ago, agrabes said:

Long time passing.

Where have all the shardblades gone, long long time ago?

Young girls pick them, every one.

When will they ever learn?  When will they ever learn?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that song.

• Chaos locked this topic