The Return of Old Friends - Oldtimers Light and Dark Bakery

I Am Witless

Somewhere, there was a small street full of small, friendly stores. And suddenly, there was a store that had both just appeared and always been there. A hand carved sign above the double doors proclaimed "Light and Dark Bakery", in a friendly font.

Stretching from the sidewalk outside into the kitchen in back, there was a painted red line, dictating which side was "Light" and which "Dark". The bakery was mirrored on both sides, even in its inventory, save that those goods on the "Dark" side had spikes in them.

A woman on the "Light" side, brought forward from ages past by some strange and mystical power, chatted with a person who had no physical form on the "Dark" side.

They spoke of days gone by, back before all of this messing around, when all that any of this had been was simply whether or not you should tell someone that they had a spike in their cookie.

@ElephantEarwax, as Himself

@I Am Witless, as Yzabet

Summoning all of the old-timers to kick back, enjoy a cookie, and engage in non-violent RP for the sake of old times.

Light and Dark Bakery welcomes you.

Edited by I Am Witless

"So," Yzabet said, a spider weaving a web between two fingers.

"Who do you know is still alive? Do you think anyone who was dead will show up? I wouldn't mind a kiss from my Rhazien, or to say hello to..... who else has died?"

"Am I old enough?" whispers a voice from the depths. While waiting for an answer, the voice's owner forms from smoke on the light side, revealing it to be a girl with short hair and a winged rabbit in her arms - none other than AonEne. She gently sets Ink down as another rabbird hops forward from a storeroom, followed by a much smaller one.

Also, are newer people allowed to show up too?

"Oooh, cookie, yes please," Ene agrees, hugging back. "Lately I've been, well, getting married and running for president if you must know. A bit crazy to be doing it all at once, perhaps, but I can project my voice into a character's head for the latter and I'm projecting myself here as well. Good thing we figured out how to do solid projections or I wouldn't be able to eat cookies." She widens her eyes in faux horror. "And that would just be terrible. So, what have you been up to in the past...half a year or so?"

While everyone was distracted by Voidus' awesome waving skills, an oddly well-dressed man emerged from the shadows of the alleyway across the street and slipped in through the doorway. He paused, staring at a certain section of floor by the window, confused by the general proportions of the room and that his favourite seat wasn’t where he thought it would be.

“Huh,” he muttered, scratching his head. “It’s bigger on the inside.”

Unsure what to do, Archer stood on the spot that he really thought should have a chair and maybe a table occupying it, waiting for the server – What was his name? Randy? Rudolph? Rutabaga? – to offer him a cookie. Barring that, he'd accept a shake, either hand or milk would do. 

"I've been ignoring time, breeding spiders, and traveling through Shadesmar." Yzabet said. She absent-mindedly tossed a cookie to everyone in the room. She gave a friendly smile to Snip, waved at Voidus, then looked over at Archer.

"Can I help you?"

As he gobbled up his cookie, Archer looked past Yzabet, over her shoulder, at where a pair of mimes were slowly rappelling down from the ceiling with panicked expressions on their faces. He glared at them as subtly as he could. 

"I think you already have," he said smoothly, looking back at his host. "Although I wouldn't say no to another cookie. Last time, I got one of the spiked variety. Perhaps a different kind this go 'round?"

The lead mime began climbing back up his invisible rope, hand over hand, but the other one accidentally slipped and crashed into the window, shattering it silently. Archer pointedly turned his back to them and tried to smile cheerfully as if nothing had happened. 

Edited by Archer

Movement from the exterior caught Archer’s eye. Outside, another pair of mimes had appeared. These ones were lying on top of the roof of the blockish building across the street, their heads raised up to look down at the bakery. One of them was staring at Archer through his hand-binoculars, while the other had adopted a sniper position with a finger gun. The first mouthed something at him, but he couldn’t make it out for the distance.

“What?” he mouthed back at them, furrowing his eyebrows. The mime gave him a thumbs up, then pointed through the window at one of the patrons.  

Archer began to wave his hands anxiously, but Ene’s question distracted him.

“Uh, maybe,” he said, turning towards her. “Sometime else, possibly. I don’t know. Still, this place’s food is just as good, so I’m not complaining.”

He offered her a cookie which he had stolen from one of the many trays of sugary goodness that lay about the room, foolishly unguarded. Then he coughed to cover up the sound of the grunt of the customer who suddenly slumped over in their booth a few feet away from them.

“Sorry, it’s dusty in hereeee,” he trailed off as a small section of the dark side of the bakery’s wall collapsed mutedly, and an invisible shepherd's crook slid in and yanked a person out of the room.   

Yzabet made a complicated hand gesture, and the walls wove together, fixing the hole. Any close watchers would have see thousands of tiny spiders remaking it.

"No assasinations, please." Yzabet said, then glanced over at Ele.

"Your people will stay decent?"

On account of having died multiple times, Archer's brain is easily confused. But yeah, I threw in a few Slice references for the Alleylore fans out there. 

"Yeah, of course, nobody's here to cause trouble," Archer agreed. 

As if on cue, a non-noise came from the direction of the street. Archer sighed. "Excuse me for a second."

He spun on his heels, locking eyes with the unit leader who was leading a charge of mimes at the front door of the bakery, an unseeable medieval battering ram in hand. The group skidded to a stop before they made contact, watching as Archer very deliberately raised his fist to his ear, then flicked out his pinky finger and thumb.

“You’ve got to cut this out,” he said hissed into his finger telephone. “Fix the rifts later, we’re trying to enjoy some cookies.”

The mimes dropped their siege weapon and gathered into a huddle, pretending to whisper to each other. After a moment of deliberation, their leader looked back at Archer and gave him a thumbs up.

Seeing that from the rooftop, the sniper fired again into the store.

“I am… not with them,” Archer hedged as a spider dexterously dove in front of the invisible bullet, stopping it in mid-air. He shuffled back over to where the girls were standing. "Also, they will be leaving now, if they know what's good for them."

A nearby mime who had been about to lasso another customer froze mid-throw. He, and about a dozen others of his kind who had been hiding behind various items of furniture, took the hint and quickly dove out of the bakery's closest windows and doors, some of which Archer could have sworn hadn't been there before. 

"Good to see the old TUBA Mime Battalions back in conflict." Yzabet commented, lazily leaning against a glass display case right by the line.

"It's been a while since I've seen them in action. Ele and I" - here she pointed her thumb towards the Dark side of the room - "thought that it would be nice to get some of the old gang together on both sides of the line, see if anyone comes back from the dead for some of my cookies."