Quick Fix Game 39: Corruption in the Senate 2: Allomantic Boogaloo

23 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

"Senator Ninorim, am I right?" Smiling Gaius continued, "Imagine the headlines if the broadsheets said that you assaulted an old man just to become Governor. My, my...if something like that was to get out your reputation would be...dare I say...ruined!" Strolling back into the main room he said, "Now I want that to happen just as much as you do, so perhaps we can both win, if you support me in my bid to become governor then you can keep your pristine reputation and I will become governor! Everyone wins, except the nasty corrupts"

The fool thinks that because I'm old and not a nobleman I can be pushed around like that...Harmony. I'll show him who can be the better Governor!

"Senator, you do realize, that this was in front of witnesses right? if you claim I assaulted you, I will just ask any of these 20 witnesses, and all of them will side with me, as grabbing your arm is hardly assault! It is not my reputation that will be ruined."

"All I did was offer you a potential contract. I thought your passion was windows?"

I find it hilarious that I intentionally tried to make my character a manipulative selfish person, and you are all treating him like a saint. He must be much better at manipulation than I am RPing xD

Edited by Furamirionind
added OOC comment : )

Just now, Furamirionind said:

"Senator, you do realize, that this was in front of witnesses right? if you claim I assaulted you, I will just ask any of these 20 witnesses, and all of them will side with me, as grabbing your arm is hardly assault! It is not my reputation that will be ruined."

"All I did was offer you a potential contract. I thought your passion was windows?"

"Ahem."  Alron coughed as he entered the conversation.  "By the letter of Law, you did in fact commit assault against your fellow Senator as you not only grabbed his arm but also pulled him into a corner.  These two factors together do supply the necessary requirements to allow for an assault charge to be brought upon you."

1 minute ago, Alvron said:

"Ahem."  Alron coughed as he entered the conversation.  "By the letter of Law, you did in fact commit assault against your fellow Senator as you not only grabbed his arm but also pulled him into a corner.  These two factors together do supply the necessary requirements to allow for an assault charge to be brought upon you."

Ninorim looked at Alron in astonishment. "Yes, by the letter of the law, but the intent of it was never to criminalize non-aggressive contact.  And while... forget it" Ninorim starts to walk away, muttering to himself. Stops and turns around for a second. There is a look on his face as if he wants to say something, but refrains, and continues walking out of the room.

9 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

I find it hilarious that I intentionally tried to make my character a manipulative selfish person, and you are all treating him like a saint. He must be much better at manipulation than I am RPing xD

I think it's just that all of our characters are equally manipulative and selfish :P

Also, I edited in a response to your RP in my earlier post.

13 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

What do you mean by this? We’ll always get an accurate lynch result on a Constable, so the lynch can be as close as it needs to. 

It really can’t though. If there’s only one vote more on the right (the corrupt) constable, all it takes is one vote to be bribed on to the wrong one (the non-corrupt) and we get stuck with inactivate lynches for the rest of the game. 

22 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

"Sir," Gaius said flatly, "you grabbed me and pulled me into a secluded corner where no one could see what was going on. Rumors and conspiracies have been started by less." When Senator Alron entered the conversation he smiled, "And not all would side with you...would they?" As Niornim stalked away Gaius called to him, "And a very good day to you sir!"

Fura, watch out! You're almost to 1,000 posts!

Edited by Butt Ad Venture

2 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

It really can’t though. If there’s only one vote more on the right (the corrupt) constable, all it takes is one vote to be bribed on to the wrong one (the non-corrupt) and we get stuck with inactivate lynches for the rest of the game. 

But if there's vote manipulation and the uncorrupted one is lynched, we have a trail to look into. I'm not sure elims would be willing to risk that exposure, when the benefit might not outweigh the loss of another teammate. 

Is anyone able to put up a vote count? I'll try to get one up soon, if no one else can.

7 minutes ago, Elandera said:

But if there's vote manipulation and the uncorrupted one is lynched, we have a trail to look into. I'm not sure elims would be willing to risk that exposure, when the benefit might not outweigh the loss of another teammate. 

Is anyone able to put up a vote count? I'll try to get one up soon, if no one else can.

Gaea: Fifth

Rae: Drake, Striker, Ark

Rae, unless better evidence comes to light.

11 minutes ago, Elandera said:

That’s definitely a possibility. Assuming we could find out who did the bribing, that is.

47 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

"Perhaps. It is hard to say what kind of resources the corrupted might be able to field. But perhaps a soother of more noble intentions could make the difference in the political arena," Sheev commented, toying with the brass nob on the head of his cane.

"I wasn't aware you had a leecher in your service. A good leecher is one of the better investments a senator can make."

Ninoirim doubled back on his way out of the room. The gall of those 2! Saying he assaulted that man. Anyways, there were few ways to calm your anger as effective as talking to an old ally. He had dealt with blackmail before, he knew how to now.

"Ah yes... indeed. If only I knew a soother I could... trust, eh? It would need to be a person who I have made deals with in the recent past for me to truly trust them."

Ninoirim looked around and replied, "yes, boy do I know. He has saved me from several scrapes so far. Though the compensation is almost inexcusable... anyways, I always keep him close. I dont think I would have been so successful without him... let alone alive."

----------

I originally planned on the Leecher being a Mistborn... but I just remembered mistborn dont exist in era 2, so... lol.

33 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

I think it's just that all of our characters are equally manipulative and selfish :P

I mean... sure I guess... I made my charecter this specifically for interactions with Elbereth and Bugsy though :D. Iirc, I even hinted at them within my first 2-3 RP posts. The nieve young one, and the old wise one with her constituents best at heart.

I'm looking forward to once @Elbereth and @Bugsy get time to RP. : )

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

If there’s only one vote more on the right (the corrupt) constable, all it takes is one vote to be bribed on to the wrong one

Even a lead of two votes isn't enough to safeguard against a single bribe, which could still turn it into a tie. The ability to change a vote as opposed to just cancel it is rather powerful, effectively equivalent to being able to cast three votes in most cases. And the eliminators can very likely field more than one bribe if they have a mind to. Come to think of it, this is very probably a big part of what makes up for the elim team lacking a kill.

Conversely, if we have a big enough lead in votes on one of the constables that it is not susceptible to vote manipulation, that probably just means we are lynching the constable the eliminator team wants.

Either way, it costs the elims something to protect their constable, but it also costs us something. It costs the village a lynch, and the loss of either PMs or the black market, and the potential to make the unreliable alignment flips into a permanent thing. I don't think that's a very good trade unless we are pretty confident about knowing who the corrupt constable is.

4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

That’s definitely a possibility. Assuming we could find out who did the bribing, that is.

^this. Aside from ledgers, I can't think of a way to discover the responsible parties for bribery. If there was, I would be much more supportive of lynching a constable ASAP.

I'd like to note that by the time I checked the game C1, I'd just spent 6 hours in a DnD session, and I had 1 and a half hours until rollover. I also hadn't read the rules yet. So yes, I went with an easy RP vote as a way to show that I was at least alive. It was that or reading the thread first and maybe not having anything to say until after rollover.

2 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

"Ah yes... indeed. If only I knew a soother I could... trust, eh? It would need to be a person who I have made deals with in the recent past for me to truly trust them."

Ninoirim looked around and replied, "yes, boy do I know. He has saved me from several scrapes so far. Though the compensation is almost inexcusable... anyways, I always keep him close. I dont think I would have been so successful without him... let alone alive."

Sheev chuckled. "I'll let you know if I see anyone like that."

"It's true, leecher bodyguards are criminally expensive. Easily triple the price of a trusty veteran hazekiller to get a good one, but worth every boxing. I found this fellow, a Terrisman with twin gifts of chromium and electrum, who I wouldn't trade for anything."

6 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

Hmm, after skimming back through LG55, I dont think Rae is a good lynch today. Though I would like to hear more of her opinions on the game and its players.

I'll get that out before the end of today.

1 hour ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

Even a lead of two votes isn't enough to safeguard against a single bribe, which could still turn it into a tie. The ability to change a vote as opposed to just cancel it is rather powerful, effectively equivalent to being able to cast three votes in most cases. And the eliminators can very likely field more than one bribe if they have a mind to. Come to think of it, this is very probably a big part of what makes up for the elim team lacking a kill.

Conversely, if we have a big enough lead in votes on one of the constables that it is not susceptible to vote manipulation, that probably just means we are lynching the constable the eliminator team wants.

Either way, it costs the elims something to protect their constable, but it also costs us something. It costs the village a lynch, and the loss of either PMs or the black market, and the potential to make the unreliable alignment flips into a permanent thing. I don't think that's a very good trade unless we are pretty confident about knowing who the corrupt constable is.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wasn’t trying to say we’d be safe with just one more vote. If we were really confident about which constable to lynch, we’d want at least five more votes. I’m assuming that we started with at least 5 elims (20/25% rule out of 22 is 4-5, and 4 seems too small to me), with maybe a sixth elim since they don’t seem to have a reliable kill method. 

Granted, we probably wouldn’t have to worry about a situation where every elim bribes votes off their Constable as that would completely ensure that Constable’s lynch the next cycle. Plus, the elims would lose a considerable amount of boxings in the process. 

Anyway, unless we for sure know the identity of the corrupt constable, it’s probably best to leave them alone for now. 

Also, I’ll probably be leaving my vote on Rae for now. I don’t think we should lynch Gaea, and there’s not much of a point in shooting a random shot into the dark by lynching an inactive. 

I am a bit worried that this lynch seems to not be getting much opposition, aside from Rae herself and Fifth. 

EDIT: I forgot to add that Fifth isn’t so much against Rae’s lynch, but against a lynch on a non-Constable.

Edited by StrikerEZ

Glacior studiously ignored the petty bickering of the gubernatorial candidates. Perhaps one of them would become Governor. An eminently dangerous position to put oneself in, judging from what happened to the previous Governor. Poison might be too much to hope for should anyone so elevated fall afoul of jealous ex-colleagues. Glacior had no intention of becoming Governor even if his physical safety could be assured, far too many critical eyes were watching the holder of that title. A Senator acting in the interests of his own House could be ignored, a Governor doing the same thing would be questioned. Of far more concern then the squabbles of the ambitious was the wanton abuse of privacy exhibited since a skaa dared murder one of their betters. Senator Cinco had been foolish to keep her real ledgers in her local residence, but Senator Uno should not have had the authority to order a peer's house ransacked. Now, Senator Ninoirim had decided it was within his right to order his pet Leecher to assault persons of much higher status. Glacior deeply urged to put a few coins in the back of the Leecher's skull, but he had been instructed by his Lord to keep a low profile. A lone Rioter should be enough to convince the Leecher that disrespecting the powerful was a mistake.

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

Granted, we probably wouldn’t have to worry about a situation where every elim bribes votes off their Constable as that would completely ensure that Constable’s lynch the next cycle. Plus, the elims would lose a considerable amount of boxings in the process. 

Anyway, unless we for sure know the identity of the corrupt constable, it’s probably best to leave them alone for now. 

Also, I’ll probably be leaving my vote on Rae for now. I don’t think we should lynch Gaea, and there’s not much of a point in shooting a random shot into the dark by lynching an inactive. 

I am a bit worried that this lynch seems to not be getting much opposition, aside from Rae herself and Fifth. 

A mislynch of a constable ensures that we'll never be able to get rid of the corrupt constable, which is the main reason not to pursue that lynch without a better idea of whether Gaea or Wilson is the corrupt one. 

7 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

A mislynch of a constable ensures that we'll never be able to get rid of the corrupt constable, which is the main reason not to pursue that lynch without a better idea of whether Gaea or Wilson is the corrupt one. 

.....man, these rules are hard to remember. :P

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a good idea at all to even attempt to lynch a Constable at this point. At least, not without some very solid evidence towards the corruptness/non-corruptness of one of them. 

23 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

.....man, these rules are hard to remember. :P

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a good idea at all to even attempt to lynch a Constable at this point. At least, not without some very solid evidence towards the corruptness/non-corruptness of one of them. 

As an extension of my earlier argument, what would constitute “solid evidence” that one of the two is corrupt? The writeups aren’t revealing anything, and conjecture is the best we have to go on. In effect, I feel like those taking the stance that we don’t have enough information on the constables are simply trying to dodge the necessity of taking an actual stance here on which one is guilty. We will never have enough information to definitively know which Constable to kill. The best we can do is take the best guess we can based on what we do know, and in my mind, that’s a Gaea lynch. But postponing on the grounds that we don’t have enough information is simply deceptive—we never will, and using this logic will lead to continual delay with untrustworthy lynches dominating the information we do get on players. 

Edited by Fifth Scholar

17 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

As an extension of my earlier argument, what would constitute “solid evidence” that one of the two is corrupt? The writeups aren’t revealing anything, and conjecture is the best we have to go on. In effect, I feel like those taking the stance that we don’t have enough information on the constables are simply trying to dodge the necessity of taking an actual stance here on which one is guilty. We will never have enough information to definitively know which Constable to kill. The best we can do is take the best guess we can based on what we do know, and in my mind, that’s a Gaea lynch. But postponing on the grounds that we don’t have enough information is simply deceptive—we never will, and using this logic will lead to continual delay with untrustworthy lynches dominating the information we do get on players. 

This is a very, very good point. Also, I would rather lynch a Constable, so we can stop debating every cycle if we will or won't. It's taking a lot of focus away from analysis on players, which I think the elims would be very content to maintain. 

So far, the best evidence we have is a vote removed from Gaea C1 for no apparent reason. She was close enough to have been within range of vote manipulation killing her instead. That tells me there was at least someone who didn't want her dead. Thus, it's probably the best lead we'll ever get for which Constable is corrupt.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wasn’t trying to say we’d be safe with just one more vote. If we were really confident about which constable to lynch, we’d want at least five more votes. I’m assuming that we started with at least 5 elims (20/25% rule out of 22 is 4-5, and 4 seems too small to me), with maybe a sixth elim since they don’t seem to have a reliable kill method. 

I still can't shake my suspicion of you. Nothing you're saying is helping overall. You support a Rae lynch, but don't. Your numbers on elim team size seem a bit like you're overstating your knowledge (that's not the best way to phrase what I'm trying to say, but I can't think of a better way). And you keep seeming like you're trying to ignore the Constables all together.

One reason I see for trying to get rid of the constable is to free us from the constraints of having to have all or very few votes on someone to be reasonably sure of their alignment. Getting everyone on board is difficult without it being an elim revealed or a mislynch, and too few keeps it comfortably in range for elim manipulation.

7 hours ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

Hael asking about when Striker reported the scan result is either a really insightful point by a villager or an attempt to cast doubt on Striker's scan result.

It seemed important information to know - if he only sent the PM in the hour or two prior to that, then it's highly suspect and would read more of an eliminator trying to get out of a lynch. If it had been sent much earlier and just passing through another or player or two is what made it take so long to reach me, meaning it had been initiated long before he was under any pressure, then I'd be much more willing to trust Striker. If Devotary had said that it'd only been 2 or 3 hours before, I'd have put a vote on Striker. Obviously Devotary indicated that the PM came way before any votes in thread on Striker so we went with the Lumgol lynch. Unless Striker and Devotary are both evil, and were trying to win village favour. I guess @Furamirionind and @Snipexe - what point in the last cycle did Striker PM you about the scan?