Bondsmith's True Power: MAGIC HORSES

Karger

I suspect everyone who reads of them has a soft spot for the Ryshadium.  The magic horses who bond their riders, can bear a man in plate, and are intelligent enough to have a conversation with.  How were these made?  A statement by a lighteyed groom in WoR gives us a clue.  Apparently Vorin cultural distinctions do not effect horsemanship because horses were rare but the Radiants had Ryshadium.  Ryshadium have their unique abilities due to their bond with a spren potentially a music spren.  What if that bond was created by a bondsmith who decided he do not want to walk everywhere and decided to do some smithing?  Perhaps Daliar will figure out how to do this latter.  Thoughts?

I believe that bondsmiths could definitely do something like this but Brandon has said the Ryshadium evolved. So they might not be mutually exclusive, but there has to be some evolution somewhere.

Questioner #1 (in Mistborn cosplay) (paraphrased)

Do Ryshadium exist because of a spren bond, like greatshells?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yea, they evolved symbiotically with spren, unlike other horses. They can still mate will other horses, but they are genetically distinct.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

Edited by Q10fanatic
Completing the thought.

1 minute ago, Q10fanatic said:

I believe that bondsmiths could definitely do something like this but Brandon has said the Ryshadium evolved.

That doesn't disqualify this theory. Assisted evolution is still evolution. Perhaps the bond was forming already, and Ishar just sped it along.

The literal shard of growth and evolution is on residence in Roshar. I doubt anything else is needed. I'm with @Invocation on the assisted or boosted evolution idea - but I don't think a Bondsmith was needed. Not for this. This seems like it's just something that happened because of the Nature of Roshar's ecosystem.

51 minutes ago, TheFoxQR said:

The literal shard of growth and evolution is on residence in Roshar. I doubt anything else is needed. I'm with @Invocation on the assisted or boosted evolution idea - but I don't think a Bondsmith was needed. Not for this. This seems like it's just something that happened because of the Nature of Roshar's ecosystem.

That is quite true. 

But then what would the effect of a Bondsmith on a horse be? Honestly, I am curious. 

10 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Spiritual Adhesion could do some funky things.

So Dalinar's extremely strong bond with his Ryshadium might be a spiritual echo of his eventual Bondsmith-ness.

There is a WoB on something similar happening with Kaladin:

Questioner

Why is Kaladin so proficient-- Like naturally born to wield a spear. Is that a weapon he likes or is it a destiny for him?

Brandon Sanderson

So destiny is a strong term... I would say he has natural aptitude, but no more so than a normal person who has a natural aptitude for something. But the way the Spiritual Realm works in the cosmere and the way Connection works, there were certain things that were happening to Kaladin before they happened...

It's like Syl says in one of the books. "You didn't know me then, but I knew you then. Even though we hadn't met yet, I still knew you." You see some weird Connection things too. And these are mostly just for fun sort of cosmere connections. Like when you see Syl take on the look of Shallan standing on the beach. There's gonna be a connection there. It's forming, it doesn't exist yet, but all things are one in the Spiritual Realm, and we're just kinda seeing echoes of that. It's not meant to be destiny, it's more meant to be, "Hey there's little connections happening".

I would not say Kaladin is any more naturally gifted in that than your average professional sports player is naturally gifted in what they do.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Just now, TheFoxQR said:

So Dalinar's extremely strong bond with his Ryshadium might be a spiritual echo of his eventual Bondsmith-ness.

There is a WoB on something similar happening with Kaladin:

Yep! That's a thing like with most of the Radiants we've seen so far. Likely due to a mix of spren being semi-fourth dimensional beings so time means nothing to them except as a platform to move on and due to the similar effects of the Spiritual Realm.

In short, things echo across time.

Here's a question that can easily solve this. When did the Rhyshadium first appear (on Roshar or elsewhere)? If it was in the last 5000 odd years (the timeline for our 3 shards being in this system plus the events pertaining to the stormlight archive) then it's done kind of assisted evolution whether by cultivation or bondsmith like power. If significantly earlier then probably purely natural phenomenon. At least if you assume natural evolution follows a similar speed in the cosmere. 

That said i do love the idea that they were assisted to become what they are in some capacity. 

2 minutes ago, ND103 said:

If it was in the last 5000 odd years (the timeline for our 3 shards being in this system plus the events pertaining to the stormlight archive)

Horses were not on Roshar before humans got there.

Rhyshadium, greatshells of all flavors, Purelake fish, and skyeels all bond with spren in more or less the same way. Rhyshadium are fairly closely associated with Radiants or at least with Shardbearers, but I don't see much of a connection with any of those others and I really don't see Bondsmiths needing to be involved with making all of those happen. Looks more like natural environmental symbiosis, only magical beings are involved

10 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Rhyshadium, greatshells of all flavors, Purelake fish, and skyeels all bond with spren in more or less the same way. Rhyshadium are fairly closely associated with Radiants or at least with Shardbearers, but I don't see much of a connection with any of those others and I really don't see Bondsmiths needing to be involved with making all of those happen. Looks more like natural environmental symbiosis, only magical beings are involved

Perhaps but I think encouraging nature would be an excellent use of bondsmith connection powers.  Maybe a bond was forming and they just helped things along or maybe they started the bond but things evolved differently then they expected from there.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Perhaps but I think encouraging nature would be an excellent use of bondsmith connection powers.  Maybe a bond was forming and they just helped things along or maybe they started the bond but things evolved differently then they expected from there.

The idea doesn't sound bad, but wrong in the sense that Bondsmiths are said to be close to Honor, whereas boosting evolution or encouraging nature sounds Cultivation-y. Maybe that's how the Nightwatcher Bondsmith behaves?

5 minutes ago, TheFoxQR said:

The idea doesn't sound bad, but wrong in the sense that Bondsmiths are said to be close to Honor, whereas boosting evolution or encouraging nature sounds Cultivation-y. Maybe that's how the Nightwatcher Bondsmith behaves?

Perhaps

• 2 months later...

Don't know if it's possible, but I'm waiting for some Spiritual Adhesion with Rhysadium:

Dalinar frowned at Gallant, feeling a familiar tugging in his mind.  It was the same as when he had visited Azir....  He reached out and laid a hand on the Ryshadium's back, a Connection made.

Gallant whinnied. Hello friend.

Dalinar stumbled back.

• Chaos locked this topic