I really only need one thing.

BassNCatz

15 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Blue: Honor's color

Green: Cultivation's color

Red: Odium's color (well, sorta, specifically as he's corrupting the investiture of honor and cultivation, much like darksiders corrupt kyber crystals to use for red lightsabers).

So orders closer to Honor would probably use blue, and closer to Cultivation would use green. And that would mean Renarin would get a purple lightsaber because he's halfway between honor and odium :D hell yeah.

I didn't connect this to the Shardic Colors!

Also, Odium's color is technically Yellow-White, or Intense Yellow. Even Voidlight is Stygian Blue - which is technically a fatigue response to bright yellow on black.

Red is a sign of corrupted investiture and isn't any particular Shard's. White-gold seems to be the color that Odium presents of himself, but I think his actual color is dark violet, similar to the color of the moon and of "voidlight".

34 minutes ago, RShara said:

Red is a sign of corrupted investiture and isn't any particular Shard's. White-gold seems to be the color that Odium presents of himself, but I think his actual color is dark violet, similar to the color of the moon and of "voidlight".

Gotcha covered.

TheFoxQR

"Voidlight" (hasn't been named, I know) has been described as black with some violet to it. Is this because it's actually absorbing light-gold from all light hitting it?

Brandon Sanderson

I do call it Voidlight in the new book, so you can certainly call it that.

I'm more trying to describe the phenomenon of Stygian colors, which is how I imagine Voidlight. But your explanation probably has some plausible science to it as well.

General Reddit 2019 (Aug. 11, 2019)

I want Moash to get some sort of mission to kill Kaladin with his Honorblade and new powers but when he try’s to, all of Bridge Four becomes radiant and backs Kaladin up. Moash is so stunned he just silently leaves.

Also, Moash’s Bridge Four tattoo disappears like Kaladin’s because it’s no longer part of him.

Here’s an oddly specific one, but I want a Rhyshadium to pick Kaladin. And Kal, as his usual grumpy, I only trust my own feet self, is disgruntled about the whole thing. But the horse just keeps following him around until finally Kaladin has to admit he actually really likes his horse and they’re best friends. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 7:42 AM, earthexile said:

I would love to see what an extremely powerful and experienced Awakener can do on a Rosharan diet of Investiture.

Apropos of nothing, since Shardblades used to be alive, does that make them corpses that can be Awakened?

If you are thinking about a certain extremely powerful and experienced Returned Awakener known to be on Roshar specifically for a "diet of Investiture" in Stormlight, there is a WoB that he has attempted Awakening with it but has been unsuccessful. Which doesn't rule out someday figuring out a trick he hasn't got down yet, of course.

And... A Lifeless spren? Whoa. I'd think something reanimated with Awakening that way would have to have been something that been alive in the Physical Realm originally. As Syl tells Kaladin when he revives her, spren are ideas given sentience and can't be killed the same way a living creature is, only forgotten or abandoned as a concept.

Edited by robardin

On 9/9/2019 at 0:22 AM, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

I want Moash to get some sort of mission to kill Kaladin with his Honorblade and new powers but when he try’s to, all of Bridge Four becomes radiant and backs Kaladin up. Moash is so stunned he just silently leaves.

Also, Moash’s Bridge Four tattoo disappears like Kaladin’s because it’s no longer part of him.

I hate Moash so much right now, which is why I would love to see Sanderson pull off a redemption arc, because writing it would certainly be beyond me to do well or convincingly.

But all the pieces are there. Moash misses Bridge Four. He is tormented by his betrayal of Kaladin. He is still proud of his time with them, invoking Bridge Four as he brought down Leshwi, refusing to burn his arm patch. And his protecting, training, and taking leadership of the small band of former parshmen who were being punished for harboring Kaladin, was very reminiscent of what Kaladin himself had down with Bridge Four.

But he had moved to kill Kaladin, a man he owed everything. He broke his promise that Kaladin was "his captain, forever". A captain who'd ordered him to protect the king, Elhokar, who instead he succeeded in killing, while saluting Kaladin with their special gesture. And then he killed Jezrien, the greatest Herald, while knowing who he was, taking up his Honorblade in the service of Odium.

Can any man fall so far? And yet Szeth is now Dalinar's bodyguard, "the storming Assassin in White". If Dalinar can essentially forgive the man who wielded the Blade that killed his brother, could he do the same regarding Elhokar and Jezrien?

Would it require Moash to take Jezrien's place in the Oathpact, if that even were possible or meaningful at this point?

What I need, and I'm pretty sure I'll get, is a confrontation between Vasher and Szeth.

What I also need is a similar confrontation between Vivenna and Szeth, and between Vivenna and Vasher.

I don't think we'll get as much as I wish we would until the backstory is taken care of in Nightblood (novel), which isn't going to come until after Stormlight 5. Still, I'm hoping for something in the next two books between Nightblood and his former bearers.

4 hours ago, robardin said:

A captain who'd ordered him to protect the king, Elhokar, who instead he succeeded in killing

You mean after he agreed with Moash that they needed to kill that king? Moash doesn't deserve the hate he gets, although it is a sign that he is the most compelling character in the series. Hate might not be love, but it sure as hell isn't annoyance or indifference.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

I've actually theorized this before, and I didn't even think about the bit i bolded... you're totally right. Maybe not too important for the initial, purely-fabrial edition, but certainly as a KR adaptation... In fact, there's some thematic evidence for this, in colors.

Blue: Honor's color

Green: Cultivation's color

Red: Odium's color (well, sorta, specifically as he's corrupting the investiture of honor and cultivation, much like darksiders corrupt kyber crystals to use for red lightsabers).

So orders closer to Honor would probably use blue, and closer to Cultivation would use green. And that would mean Renarin would get a purple lightsaber because he's halfway between honor and odium :D hell yeah.

So Samuel L Jackson cast a Renarin! I’ll buy that any day!

On 7/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Happy ending for Kaladin 

This.... is very nonspecific...

A happy ending for Kaladin, in my mind is successful completion of his Duty and his Mission(s).

Yes, I do Ultimately hope for a happy ending for Kal, but specifically, ‘Happy Endings’ vary quite a lot.

For instance, my Idea of ‘Kaladin’s Happy Ending’ involves VERY minimal romance and an absurd amount of Dedication to his Duty leading Team Dalinar to the best Victory they can hope for.

Edited by IllNsickly

On 9/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, TheFoxQR said:

I didn't connect this to the Shardic Colors!

Also, Odium's color is technically Yellow-White, or Intense Yellow. Even Voidlight is Stygian Blue - which is technically a fatigue response to bright yellow on black.

Hmm, where do we get that Honor is associated with a blue color?

Because in the other thread where I recapped what we've read about the Dawnshards, and mused that something didn't add up about Honor's words in his vision to Dalinar in Ch. 75 of TWoK versus what the Stormfather says he said to the Radiants during the Recreance, ... I now remember that in that vision, of the destruction of Kholinar, he sees who he assumes is Honor when he climbs to high ground, who speaks to him about getting Odium to agree to a contest of champions, as they'll be without the Dawnshards.

That figure... Is dressed in gold.

11 hours ago, robardin said:

Hmm, where do we get that Honor is associated with a blue color?

Because in the other thread where I recapped what we've read about the Dawnshards, and mused that something didn't add up about Honor's words in his vision to Dalinar in Ch. 75 of TWoK versus what the Stormfather says he said to the Radiants during the Recreance, ... I now remember that in that vision, of the destruction of Kholinar, he sees who he assumes is Honor when he climbs to high ground, who speaks to him about getting Odium to agree to a contest of champions, as they'll be without the Dawnshards.

That figure... Is dressed in gold.

Odium definitely liked to dress in Gold, but the color association passage I look to is from when Odium gave Dalinar a glimpse of his actual Spiritual self during that vision, rather than his meatsuit's fashion choices.  I dont have the book with me but I seem to recall it being a very Sauron's eye sort of Red-Gold around a black-hole.  

I agree that I cant think of anythink specific that would assocaite Honor with Blue, I think that's a perspective issue where readers are associating the Windrunner Blue with all the radiants and/or with Stormlight itself, just because the Windrunner Order has recieved a lot of stage-time. 

Cultivation being Green at least makes sense, and there was that Green fog (Cultivation-light?) that was around her and Dalminar during the flashback. 

1 hour ago, twenty second of the sun said:

Where in the text does it even come close to establishing that ??

Gossip says that she is ace.  She has turned down every offer of marriage including some extraordinarily attractive and well made offers.  She also seems rather suspicious of marriage itself(as seen when she is talking to Shallan in the beginning of WoR).

17 hours ago, Karger said:

Gossip says that she is ace.  She has turned down every offer of marriage including some extraordinarily attractive and well made offers.  She also seems rather suspicious of marriage itself(as seen when she is talking to Shallan in the beginning of WoR).

I think on my first read I took that pasaage to be more about her mistrust of the whole arranged political marriage thing more than a mistrust of the institution in general; she cant think too badly about it or she wouldnt have been working to get a marriage on Shallan OR Adolin.  She certainly doesnt seem to think  it's right for her, but I think that is at least partly her disdain for the pervasive Alethi gender roles, and a lot of those roles are tied to their cultural expectations of how a Husband and Wife cooperate and coordinate.  

15 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I took that pasaage to be more about her mistrust of the whole arranged political marriage thing more than a mistrust of the institution in general; she cant think too badly about it or she wouldnt have been working to get a marriage on Shallan OR Adolin.

She has limited options for protecting Shallan and her family.  Marriage is one of the only ones that seems practical(I challenge you to think of another one).  Also she did her best to hedge things so that Shallan can back out if she needs to. 

21 minutes ago, Quantus said:

She certainly doesnt seem to think  it's right for her, but I think that is at least partly her disdain for the pervasive Alethi gender roles, and a lot of those roles are tied to their cultural expectations of how a Husband and Wife cooperate and coordinate.  

It could be that.  In fact statements she makes indicate that she finds the idea of being beholden in any way to another person a bit disturbing.  However WoBs say that she does not discuss her sexuality at all.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, RShara said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

It could all just depend on the lighting :lol:

3 hours ago, Karger said:

She has limited options for protecting Shallan and her family.  Marriage is one of the only ones that seems practical(I challenge you to think of another one).  Also she did her best to hedge things so that Shallan can back out if she needs to. 

She could have given them jobs in the Kholin warcamps/princedom. (Dalinar was going to do with Shallan.) No petty nobles from backwater estates could bother Kholin allies. The reason Jasnah wanted a marriage was because Shallan was a Radiant. Jasnah wanted her bound to her family.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

It could be that.  In fact statements she makes indicate that she finds the idea of being beholden in any way to another person a bit disturbing.  However WoBs say that she does not discuss her sexuality at all.

Yeah, I've never understood why people used her desire to stay single as proof of a different sexuality. Jasnah has always carried the world on her shoulders and the idea of adding a marriage with kids to come would be too much. Especially if she couldn't find a guy who would share in her life quest or even believe her. 

1 hour ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

She could have given them jobs in the Kholin warcamps/princedom. (Dalinar was going to do with Shallan.) No petty nobles from backwater estates could bother Kholin allies. The reason Jasnah wanted a marriage was because Shallan was a Radiant. Jasnah wanted her bound to her family.

It is not the same.  Patronage is different from an alliance.  Remember being Jasnah's ward was not realistically enough to save her house.  Also offering them jobs is also going to be a bit tricky.  Remember they are in a different country.  If anyone gets word that they are running they will probably be assassinated before they can leave.

1 hour ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Yeah, I've never understood why people used her desire to stay single as proof of a different sexuality. Jasnah has always carried the world on her shoulders and the idea of adding a marriage with kids to come would be too much. Especially if she couldn't find a guy who would share in her life quest or even believe her. 

I only said that was something Rosharans gossip about.  I never meant to imply that it had to be true.  I can see plenty of other reasons why she has not engaged in marriage.

• Chaos locked this topic