Theory on Urithiru not working properly

RazeU

I’m rereading Oathbringer again and this jumped out at me. 

I guess my theory is super simple. Does this sound to anyone else like possibly removing fuses from a circuit? Possibly in an effort to keep the Midnight Mother from controlling more sections of the city?

91C9ED88-F4B1-4E89-9597-C4DF7D1F9172.jpeg

I'm more in the camp that the issues with Urithiru was more likely due to something happening with the Sibling.  As for the Midnight Mother. I doubt that an entire city filled with hundreds of experienced Radiants could not do what one single inexperienced lightweaver managed in driving off the Midnight Mother.   Recall that Shallan perceived that the Midnight Mother had been imprisoned and had only recently, by its reckoning, managed to escape.

14 minutes ago, Arondell said:

I'm more in the camp that the issues with Urithiru was more likely due to something happening with the Sibling.  As for the Midnight Mother. I doubt that an entire city filled with hundreds of experienced Radiants could not do what one single inexperienced lightweaver managed in driving off the Midnight Mother.   Recall that Shallan perceived that the Midnight Mother had been imprisoned and had only recently, by its reckoning, managed to escape.

Otoh Shallan is obviously the Nynaeve of this world so who knows :P

Based on a number of comments both by Jasnah and from the recorded crystals Urithiru was completely abandoned before the Recreance.  The exact reasoning for this is not entirely clear other then it maybe having to do with the siblings apparent withdraw and the failure of many of Urithiru's support systems when that withdraw happened.

"Something is happening to the Sibling. I agree this is true, but the division among the Knights Radiant is not to blame. Our perceived worthiness is a separate issue. —From drawer 1-1, third zircon"

"The wilting of plants and the general cooling of the air is disagreeable, yes, but some of the tower’s functions remain in place. The increased pressure, for example, persists. —From drawer 1-1, second zircon"

"I wish to submit my formal protest at the idea of abandoning the tower. This is an extreme step, taken brashly. —From drawer 2-22, smokestone"

"The Edgedancers are too busy relocating the tower’s servants and farmers to send a representative to record their thoughts in these gemstones. I’ll do it for them, then. They are the ones who will be most displaced by this decision. The Radiants will be taken in by nations, but what of all these people now without homes? —From drawer 4-17, second topaz"

"Good night, dear Urithiru. Good night, sweet Sibling. Good night, Radiants. —From drawer 29-29, ruby"

"The creature trembled, and Shallan finally saw the reason for its fear. It had been trapped. The event had happened recently in the spren’s reckoning, though Shallan had the impression that in fact centuries upon centuries had passed."

The point being that the Radiants themselves didn't really understand why the towers functions were failing. And the problem started before it was abandoned.

So.  Functions in the tower start failing.  Possibly because of the withdraw of the Sibling.  Radiants decide to abandon Urithiru and do so completely.  Sometime between that abandonment and the arrival of our heroes Re-Shephir shows up and decided to make her home in the heart of Urithiru.  With the possibility that she was already there in an imprisoned state and just managed to escape the prison.  At least that is my guess as to the probable timeline of those events.

11 hours ago, Arondell said:

So.  Functions in the tower start failing.  Possibly because of the withdraw of the Sibling.  Radiants decide to abandon Urithiru and do so completely.  Sometime between that abandonment and the arrival of our heroes Re-Shephir shows up and decided to make her home in the heart of Urithiru.  With the possibility that she was already there in an imprisoned state and just managed to escape the prison.  At least that is my guess as to the probable timeline of those events.

Another one is that they leave her trapped somewhere in the tower hoping she won't get out and maybe planing on checking up on her every few decades.  The tower is a remote now abandoned location away from people and largely inaccessible.  After the Radiants die no one is there to check the prison and she eventually escapes.  She has no one to direct her so she just sticks around.  This is my understand of the events.

• Chaos locked this topic