[Spoilers] I have... QUESTIONS

VarenTai

OK, so as I am rereading Steelheart with my 9 year old, I have several questions popping up, maybe someone here can help me answer them.

1) Why in the name of all that is holy would Steelheart have bothered sending one of his core Epic team to infiltrate the Reckoners in the first place? They were no real threat to him. They hit powerful Epics but with no real influence on things. Guys like Steelheart were above their notice. So what was his purpose? 

2) Knowing how big of a deal that no one survived seeing SH's weakness in the bank, why wouldn't FF let him know as soon as David showed up and told his story? SH could have flown down and ended them all right then and there. I mean, I cannot imagine for a second that the moment SH knew someone survived the bank, he wouldn't go crazy and take them all down immediately. Holding back isn't his style.

Anyone got any thoughts?

1 hour ago, VarenTai said:

1) Why in the name of all that is holy would Steelheart have bothered sending one of his core Epic team to infiltrate the Reckoners in the first place? They were no real threat to him. They hit powerful Epics but with no real influence on things. Guys like Steelheart were above their notice. So what was his purpose? 

They also had a penchant for finding out the weaknesses of powerful Epics and murdering them. Steelheart was notably paranoid (it was mentioned that he slept in a different room each night, at random) and so he sent the best possible person for that in: an illusionist who could reincarnate.

2) Knowing how big of a deal that no one survived seeing SH's weakness in the bank, why wouldn't FF let him know as soon as David showed up and told his story? SH could have flown down and ended them all right then and there. I mean, I cannot imagine for a second that the moment SH knew someone survived the bank, he wouldn't go crazy and take them all down immediately. Holding back isn't his style.

I don't think there was a good time for that to happen. The Reckoners would know if she disappeared for too long that something was up and would pull out immediately, ridding Steelheart of his chance to permanently get rid of the main cell of them. Communicating via mobile wasn't an option either, given that Prof/Tia was monitoring all communications on Reckoner mobiles. Steelheart and Firefight didn't know if they'd told any of the other cells, either, or which ones those might be. Doubtless they were hoping for a chance that some of that would be slipped in passing conversation and allow for a greater victory for Steelheart.

11 hours ago, VarenTai said:

He was ridiculously paranoid.  Remember the hole sleeps in a different room every day despite being basically invincible?

11 hours ago, VarenTai said:

Well she was not realy loyal to him personally.  They get more into this in the sequels.  They also did not yet know his weakness they only had a few guesses.  If they did find it that information could be valuable to her.  Additionally she may have been compromised emotionally I doubt she wanted her "friends" killed.  Also SH was not a likeable person.

OK, that all makes more sense.

I also noted in my reread that it was MEGAN who bumped a box at Diamond's when Nightwielder was there. Was that on purpose to get him to notice the team and take them all out since she hadnt had a better chance to do it? Which may be why she was so annoyed with David when he improvised and shot out there to protect them.

I also noted in my reread that it was MEGAN who bumped a box at Diamond's when Nightwielder was there. Was that on purpose to get him to notice the team and take them all out since she hadnt had a better chance to do it? Which may be why she was so annoyed with David when he improvised and shot out there to protect them.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Sanderson often leaves scenes like that ambiguous.  She may also have slipped up or perhaps she was just giving Nightwielder notice as a kind of check in.