King of Herdaz

Allomantic metals being just "keys" And metal being solid investiture

12 posts in this topic

Allomantic metals are just "keys" to the investiture which is being drawn from Preservation's "body" in the spiritual realm and not actually the source of the power. So I had a thought. Being that metal is the solid form of investiture in the cosmere, wouldn't it make more sense for the power to be coming from the metal being burned since it itself is made up of pure investiture?

Technically everything in the cosmere is made of Investiture to some degree so that's not much of an argument. But really, it's more that most (the Aethers are debatable) solid-form Investiture = metal but not all metal = solid-form Investiture. Take aluminum, for example. If it was made solely of Investiture in the same way the godmetals were, it would blip itself out of existence immediately by consuming itself.

OK. But why would aluminum blip itself out of existence? 

33 minutes ago, King of Herdaz said:

Allomantic metals are just "keys" to the investiture which is being drawn from Preservation's "body" in the spiritual realm and not actually the source of the power. So I had a thought. Being that metal is the solid form of investiture in the cosmere, wouldn't it make more sense for the power to be coming from the metal being burned since it itself is made up of pure investiture?

Just because some metal is solidified investiture, doesn't mean all metal is. Iron, steel, silver, all those guys are really just metal, no more or less invested than any other object. The god-metals are the exception, not the rule. The god metals are solidified investiture, and are in a class of their own, separate from regular metals.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by RShara

9 minutes ago, King of Herdaz said:

OK. But why would aluminum blip itself out of existence? 

Aluminum eats Investiture, essentially.

Coming over from the other thread

Zmann966

Is the metal on Scadrial specially Invested? Can an Allomancer use metals from other planets?

Brandon Sanderson (Part 1/Part 2)

Metal is a key, not the source of power itself. Most is not specially Invested. It glows because of the power seeking to come through it, not because of the power within it.

#SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com (Feb. 4, 2016)

12 hours ago, King of Herdaz said:

wouldn't it make more sense for the power to be coming from the metal being burned since it itself is made up of pure investiture?

I think this is only the case with atium, which is special. It really is solid Ruinous investiture and the power comes from the metal itself. As others have said, normal metals aren't all just the solid form of investiture.

Just now, Artemos said:

I think this is only the case with atium, which is special. It really is solid Ruinous investiture and the power comes from the metal itself. As others have said, normal metals aren't all just the solid form of investiture.

It isn't just Atium, it's all of the other God Metals Too. They are the condensed (solid) form of the Shard's Investiture.

16 hours ago, King of Herdaz said:

As others have pointed out, solid Investiture (i.e. god metals) takes the form of metal, but not all metal is Investiture.  Most metal is just plain old matter.  

That's just how the Cosmere works.  You can think it would make more sense for the power to be coming directly from the metal, but that's not how Brandon designed it.  

On 7/22/2019 at 8:27 PM, Invocation said:

Aluminum eats Investiture, essentially.

I wouldn't put it quite that way. It is more like aluminum functions as a blocker to Investiture. The only case in which it consumes Investiture is when used in Allomancy. In other cases, it acts as a barrier or insulator for investiture.

12 hours ago, blackout8444 said:

I wouldn't put it quite that way. It is more like aluminum functions as a blocker to Investiture. The only case in which it consumes Investiture is when used in Allomancy. In other cases, it acts as a barrier or insulator for investiture.

Another way to think of aluminum is as an Investiture sink.

23 hours ago, Artemos said:

Another way to think of aluminum is as an Investiture sink.

I personally think of it as blocking realmatic transitions between the spirit and cognitive realms and the physical realm.  It prevents investiture from flowing like a resistor.  I do not think you can sink investiture(otherwise Nightblood would have overwhelmed his sheath by now).