Rashek's Resonance

DocHoliday

Question

Another thread about bonding multiple spren sparked a question in my mid that I should have asked after the AoL. The Lord Ruler was a full feruchemist and a mistborn. Theoretically he has at least 16 Resonances. Not only do we not have a clue what 93% of those are, do you suppose that his Resonances have blended to create something brand new and unique? Anyone care to theorize what that could be?

5 answers to this question

It has been said that if you have more than 2 powers you get no resonances.

Yata

There is something that recently was debade by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder Cases: Are those "perks" stackable ? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk" ? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks ?

Brandon Sanderson

I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 5, 2016)
Edited by King of Herdaz

The Resonances are less pronounced the more powers someone has:

Yata

There is something that recently was debade by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder Cases: Are those "perks" stackable ? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk" ? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks ?

Brandon Sanderson

I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

General Reddit 2016 (Oct. 5, 2016)

This is already the case with a Mistborn, so Rashek's Resonances are probably not noticable. That said, Brandon obviously encourages theorizing in this direction in above WOB, so don't let that hinder you from speculating if you want to.

Edit: Got ninja'd, woops!

Edited by Elegy

32 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

Another thread about bonding multiple spren sparked a question in my mid that I should have asked after the AoL. The Lord Ruler was a full feruchemist and a mistborn. Theoretically he has at least 16 Resonances. Not only do we not have a clue what 93% of those are, do you suppose that his Resonances have blended to create something brand new and unique? Anyone care to theorize what that could be?

You get a bunch of interference if you have to many resonances.  Also it would be exponentially more then that.

14 hours ago, King of Herdaz said:

It has been said that if you have more than 2 powers you get no resonances.

That WoB does not specify the number 2.  

Also, this WoB clarifies that even Mistborn have resonances, they're just so attenuated that they're basically useless.  So there's no magic number where you "lose" your resonances completely.  

OrangeJedi

Do Mistborn have resonances?

Brandon Sanderson

*Hesitantly* Everybody does, but they're not as pronounced.

OrangeJedi

Is that because they just have so many powers?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)