40 minutes ago, MetaTerminal said:

@RayOfSunshine @Grey Knight @Invocation If you’ve promised to do something, make sure to get onto it! I understand everyone is busy (I am, too) but we were making good progress and I’d like to see that continue.

Yeah something came up that took my attention away from that. I have nothing happening this week coming up that needs that much attention, so, with full apologies for the delay, I'll be able to finish my reading-up this weekend and be back to helping starting Monday!

Not terribly much help but I put Lita in there and I also added a bit more about the Scadrial Thread. I'm a bit leery about chiming in on much else - I've been quite involved in this Era's main plots but I also don't want to step on anyone's toes when it comes to beginning those pages so...

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Not terribly much help but I put Lita in there and I also added a bit more about the Scadrial Thread. I'm a bit leery about chiming in on much else - I've been quite involved in this Era's main plots but I also don't want to step on anyone's toes when it comes to beginning those pages so...

Chime in. Chime in as much as possible. My toes are step-proof. Anything helps.

• 1 month later...

Ping!

I’m still busy, though I may be able to do a few small articles here and there. But with the completion of Era 3, now would be a great time for some summaries! Even if you’d like to include pieces for Era 4 events, if that’s what you’re most familiar with, that would still be extremely helpful.

I’d love to help with this, but might not be able to do all that much, since I’m doing way too much in my life already. Right now, my reason for stopping by was wondering if this summary was useful to you at all. Idk whether you’d put it on a history page or something for the cookie wars, if you have a page for that, but I wrote it for a newcomer and I’m pretty sure it’s unbiased. 

There once was a time some years ago, before the shadowdays of inactivity, when a group was formed around the thread People you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley. This group eventually became known as the Dark Alley, and they performed many experiments in the name of science. One hallmark that they became known for was adding Hemalurgic spikes to baked goods (most notably cookies) and giving them to newcomers. This led to the rise and fall of various groups over the years trying to stop them or offering food items without Hemalurgic materials in them. One of these was TUBA, The Underground Bakers’ Association, which I call home. 

Since newcomers to the Shard were an easy recruiting or attribute-stealing target for the DA, they gave away cookies mostly in the intro threads, with a cheerful “Welcome, have a cookie!” TUBA (originally undercover as the Light Alley to hide the identities of the spies we had placed in the DA’s ranks, but that’s another story) also gave away cookies in the intro threads, usually with the warning of “Be careful about which cookies you eat, the Dark Alley’s have spikes in them.” 

Still more people caught on to the tradition and warned against cookies from one guild or the other, or from all guilds, or just in general. It became a standard way of welcoming people to the Shard, and if someone’s thread didn’t already mention cookies, you could be sure somebody would bring them up. These times were known as the cookie wars - and although the name might imply enmity, don’t worry. It was all in fun, and no offense was meant by any involved. During this time, the guilds began to formalize into the roleplay that is named after the universe it’s set in - the Alleyverse. 

However, there were some people who took it a bit too far with their recruiting. Introduction threads are a place to suggest things a new Sharder might be interested in; you’ll see that up above, I mentioned we have games and RPs, which is something that often gets said. Back in the days of the cookie wars, this type of thing was more prominent, and people were likely then and are likely now to suggest specific subforums or threads where you could hang out. Offering a cookie and tacking on “by the way, there’s this fun RP called the Alleyverse, come join us if you want” was something a lot of people did, and a lot of those people included some variation of “if you do join, be sure to join THIS GUILD!” 

The Alleyverse grew larger and larger, and we’re all proud of the fun community it is today. This is due in part to the recruitment that happened in the intro threads. But certain people took this too far, and threads were sometimes completely taken over by Homeless (the name for someone who writes in the Alleyverse) talking about their guilds. This could be a bad or overwhelming experience for others, especially people who’d just joined the website, and so the admin/mod team asked the Homeless to tone it down. Most did. A few didn’t, and the rules were made stricter. 

Now no one is allowed to give cookies to new Sharders; at least not in their intro threads, as it is considered too likely to get out of hand, throw the thread off topic, or overwhelm newcomers. And thus the cookie wars ended.