The Knights Next Prequel

Bookish Ocelot

Asger felt a sense of calm wash over him. How? What? Was this man another Feruchemist?

"Yeah. NATO. Though I would hardly say anything good came out of the war. Millions died. Cities burned." He smiled sadly. "But however much good NATO does, they're still a military organization." and I'm military. He added to himself. I'll never quite be a true force for good. 

"So, uh, what do you do for fun?" he asked, twirling his ring. He didn't have it on his left ring finger like normal. He was hoping for a quick fling before he was shuttled off to Russia. 

6 minutes ago, BookishOcelot said:

Asger felt a sense of calm wash over him. How? What? Was this man another Feruchemist?

"Yeah. NATO. Though I would hardly say anything good came out of the war. Millions died. Cities burned." He smiled sadly. "But however much good NATO does, they're still a military organization." and I'm military. He added to himself. I'll never quite be a true force for good. 

"So, uh, what do you do for fun?" he asked, twirling his ring. He didn't have it on his left ring finger like normal. He was hoping for a quick fling before he was shuttled off to Russia. 

"Well, I work as a journalist" Charles smiled, "but my true passion is history." He began to push just a little harder on Asger's emotions, continuing to Sooth him, and preparing to fill his Copperminds, in case the man said anything useful. "What sort of things do you do for NATO?" he asked.

“Oh, history, huh?” Asger replied. “That’s really cool.” He felt his defenses slipping away. There was no way this man was completely normal. He was probably a -oh, what did they call it? - a soother. One of the guys the used in interrogations. He shuddered inwardly.

“Just desk work. Nothing interesting.” He began storing information in his ring. What charles looked like, his accent. Anything NATO could use. 

NATO had a registry of all their magic users. Scrolling through his memories, Asger couldn’t find this “Charles” which meant he was likely working for the other side. NATO said nobody would leave someone with abilities on the roadside...

Kira scanned the crowd for her friends. She didn't see them right away, though she thought she saw the girl who had been screaming earlier. The girl seemed to be talking to the guy who had grabbed her.

"Hey, Lyssa," she whispered. There was still a lot of noise, so hopefully no one would hear her. "Could you go listen to what those people over there are saying? Once you know what they're talking about, come back and tell me."

"Sure!" Lyssa streaked off through the crowd, leaving a trail of crystals behind her that quickly crumbled away. Kira continued looking for her friends and soon saw them in a small group. They were just talking and looked fine so Kira decided to stay where she was until Lyssa came back.

Anyone want to notice the crystal trail?

22 hours ago, Sorana said:

Her hand touched her ear, a mirror of her earlier gesture. Let him fill in the gaps by himself. Tiredly she closed her eyes, opened them again.

"I never met a bloodsealer. Never met anyone like me."

“There’s a lot of us,” Marcel replied, looking to the girl. Poor girl. There was something she was hiding from, that she had to dumb herself down to avoid thinking about it. And when she did... Marcel remembered the scream she had given in the disco.

“Some of them can help you, I imagine,” he said. What they could help her with was implied. He wouldn’t need have said it normally, but he felt a flash of sympathy for the girl that didn’t go away.

He looked at a trail of crystal quickly skimming across the ground before breaking, and he narrowed his eyes, looked around. A Radiant was watching them. “I know you are there.”

Edited by I think I am here.

Wita listened to Marcel but his words lost their meaning when she saw the crytals on the ground.

"Beautiful!"

She exclaimed and knelt down, tried to touch them, but they withered away quickly. Disappointed she looked at the ground, hoped new crystals would appear out of nowhere, just like they had before.

"Maybe."

She replied after a while and got back to her feet.

"I don't know a lot about magic."

Smiling she took his hand. Thought for a while about her next words

"Don't worry. It's just who I am.......... So many promised a solution", she tapped against her bracelet, "but this is a solution. Not perfect......... but it works."

@I think I am here.

Edited by Sorana

Lyssa zipped away, going over and through a couple of buildings before coming through the thickest part of the crowd just in case anyone tried to follow her. She arrived at where Kira was standing about half a minute later and began telling Kira what happened.

The first words were, "The girl thought I was pretty!" Lyssa, rather than forming faces with her vines, preferred to make little figures. This time, it looked like a ballerina pirouetting across the ground.

"And?" Kira whispered. "What else?"

"Oh. Uh. One of the people knows you're here."

"What?" Kira hissed. She tried not to change expressions just in case whoever it was was watching. "Did they follow you?"

"I don't think so?" The ballerina had stopped spinning, and now appeared to be shifting their weight from one foot to the other. "I did what you said. I didn't come straight back here. I went over lots of roofs and stuff first, so hopefully they don't know where you are, but they said 'I know you are there.'" Lyssa even copied the accent. Was that a hint of French?

"Which one? What else did they say?" Kira pretended to spot her friends for the first time and waved, beginning to make her way over to them.

"It was the really pale guy," Lyssa said as she followed. "And they said something about magic and finding a solution. The girl seems to be friends with the pale guy, too. Should we go and say hi?"

"Not yet." Kira reached her friends and was quickly absorbed into the conversation, though she still shot occasional glances at the "pale guy" who apparently knew they were there. Lyssa stayed mainly in the center of the group, trying to stay out of sight from anyone who might be able to see her trails, and occasionally making faces at Kira. Luckily, none of Kira's friends had the ability to see Lyssa. It was supposed to be somewhat rare.

I think I finally came up with a character

Name: Lewis Rollings

Appearance: 175 cm, black hair at the lenght of the eyebrows. Sticks to simple colors in clothing, so as to blend in with the crowd.

Investiture: Twinborn. A-Steel F-Electrum.

Weapons: A bag full of tiny metal pieces he picks up from the ground.

Skills: He's good at picking pockets and spying other people as long as it's in the open.

Nationality: British.

Personality: Grumpy and sarcastic. He sticks to crowds but tries to avoid relationships with other people. However he does miss being with other people, so he easily becomes attached.

Background: He was extroverted and cheerful as a kid but wasn't good at controlling his power. One day at the age of 16, he got into a fight and accidentally tapped from his electrum bracelet. He couldn't control himself after that and ended up killing the other guy. He decided to run away from home, afraid of what would happen to him. He struggled at first but learned a few tricks to get money from pedestrians. Furthermore, he practiced with his abilities and later started to accept certain 'jobs'. Nothing pleasant but they ended his monetary problems and as long as they didn't ask questions about his methods, he accepted them. Now he travels between cities and is constantly storing determination. Not enoough to become a danger to himself though it does give him an irritable personality. He tells to himself it is to help with his job, no one pays attention to someone who practically screams 'Go away' with every look, and tapping determination could save him from certain situations. But he's actually afraid that if he stops storing, he'll still have that cheerful personality, even after all he has done. He has thought of going back home, maybe the things have already cooled down, but doesn't really want to face his family.

Wow, reading it finished I think I overdid it with the edgy part. By the way, is that how a Twinborn works? Or Electrum for that matter? I haven't read Era 2 but I wanted to try this.

Edited by Eluvianii

12 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Wow, reading it finished I think I overdid it with the edgy part. By the way, is that how a Twinborn works? Or Electrum for that matter? I haven't read Era 2 but I wanted to try this.

F-electrum let's you store determination. I'm not 100% sure what you mean with irritable, I always pictured those storing determination becoming sad, easily influenced.

And yes, this is how a twinborn works.

36 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Well, I read they become depressed when they store but sadness isn't the only symptom for depression. So I figured storing too much would make them collapse but keeping it at only a little would just cause them to isolate themselves, easily change mood and things like that. Though maybe I got that wrong.

17 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Well, I read they become depressed when they store but sadness isn't the only symptom for depression. So I figured storing too much would make them collapse but keeping it at only a little would just cause them to isolate themselves, easily change mood and things like that. Though maybe I got that wrong.

I don't think you got it wrong. Every person is different, so of course every reacts different to determination. Just rp it, and it will be fine.

18 hours ago, Sorana said:

Smiling she took his hand. Thought for a while about her next words

"Don't worry. It's just who I am.......... So many promised a solution", she tapped against her bracelet, "but this is a solution. Not perfect......... but it works."

She was storing again. Marcel frowned, which beyond social interactions was his resting face. But here he was in a social interaction now, and he was frowning. The girl seemed to have a happy life, in blissful ignorance, and who was Marcel to interupt?

He needed to stop playing hero. He was a Bloodsealer, they made scary movies about people like him.

“Okay,” he said, noticing how she looked at the crystals. Definitely a Radiant. The crystal trail moved around and away to rooftops. Even if Marcel wanted to chase, he didn’t have the capability. Bloodseals had impressive features, but they had limits.

He ignored her taking his hand, maybe she wanted him to dance with her in the disco but he knew he probably wouldn’t be allowed in after that screaming incident. “Enjoy your dance,” he said with a little bow.

Should we have them find the dead body now?

Edited by I think I am here.

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“Enjoy your dance,” he said with a little bow.

Wita tilted her head to the side. It took her a while to follow his line of thought.

"I should return. They will miss me soon."

She let go of his hand, look around tried to remember where she needed to go. With a sigh she pulled out a sheet of paper, with her adress and held it out to Marcel.

"Which direction at first? I can find the way, I'm just ... not sure which way to start."

She pointed to the left or right.

I agree. Let's do it.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Wita tilted her head to the side. It took her a while to follow his line of thought.

"I should return. They will miss me soon."

She let go of his hand, look around tried to remember where she needed to go. With a sigh she pulled out a sheet of paper, with her adress and held it out to Marcel.

"Which direction at first? I can find the way, I'm just ... not sure which way to start."

She pointed to the left or right.

Marcel took the sheet of paper, looking at the address, judged in which direction it would be. He wouldn't say he knew the streets like the back of his hand, but he was accustomed-enough to it after spending enough years living in it.

"That way," Marcel said, pointing to the right of him. He looked where he pointed and squinted. "You see that alley? Just follow that until..." He trailed off because in the alley he pointed at someone was lying. Lying still.

With a pool of blood underneath them.

5 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

"That way," Marcel said, pointing to the right of him. He looked where he pointed and squinted. "You see that alley? Just follow that until..." He trailed off because in the alley he pointed at someone was lying. Lying still.

With a pool of blood underneath them.

Wita followed his glance. A corpse.

"Puzzle."

She said quietly and started to walk over to the alley. Blood underneath. She stopped next to the corpse, looked at the scenery, slowly taking it in. Taking her time she listed the details. For now not interpreting them, she didn't think enough for that, but she noted them.

A corpse. Interesting.

"Do you know the victim?"

She asked Marcel.

1 hour ago, Sorana said:

A corpse. Interesting.

"Do you know the victim?"

She asked Marcel.

Marcel looked at the dead body in shock. Not fear — it was clear from the dead body that it had been killed some time ago and the murderer had probably ran. He didn’t pale (If it was possible to pale further) and he didn’t yell. He was just shocked. He dealt with dead bodies all the time, both as a forensic pathologist (in training) and as a graveyard watcher. And as a bloodsealer. So why was he so shocked now?

Contrary to his expectations, it didn’t seem the girl was very shocked either.

“No,” Marcel, said, looking to the dead body. He looked to the man there. “Perhaps you should call the authorities?”

@Dr. Dapper

37 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“No,” Marcel, said, looking to the dead body. He looked to the man there. “Perhaps you should call the authorities?”

Wita knelt down next to the body, continued to move slowly, to look at every detail. there were many, and she just sighted them, took her time. Then she looked up at Marcel.

"Listen."

She commanded and pressed her fingers on her bracelet. She tapped rarely, usually only when there was an interesting puzzle or riddle nobody could solve. And only when she'd failed at it herself. She loved to watch the shows about the detectives, solving cases by looking at the details, because she knew, she was good with details. Slow, but good. Taking a breath she tapped. It was exhilarating to feel her thoughts speed up, for her mind to clear away the fog and she made sure her eyes rested on the corpse, on the details. No need to remember, or to think. Only to analyze.

"He was assaulted by someone taller. There, the wound is from a flat object, probably a knife. If you look at the wound, at the cloth around it, you can see that the knife didn't enter the body parallel to the floor."

"Traces, next to his boots and his hands. He tried to crawl away, while facing his murderer. The finger on his right hand are injured, especially around the nails. He tried to defend himself. The wallet is still in his pocket. You can see it through his pants. He hit his head on the cobbles, there blood in his hair and on that tone over there."

She pointed at the stone.

"He was wearing bracelets of some sorts and a few rings, they are missing now. The skin on his arm is lighter where they-"

Fire. Wita flinched, looked back at the corpse, at the hidden clues, knew she could find more. Fire. Lifting her hands she covered her ears when the screaming began, stumbled backwards until she hit the wall. She snatched her hand away from the bracelet, started to store and store. Fire, flames on her face, the air so hot she could barely breathe it. Screams. Endless, pained, terrified screams. Her thoughts slowed down and she hugged herself started to move back and forth, back and forth.

"Uh, Kira? That girl from earlier, I don't think she's okay," Lyssa said. Kira nodded slightly and started making her way away from her group, telling those who asked that she had seen the girl from earlier and wanted to see if she was okay. They nodded and let her go.

"Hooray! We're going to go say hi!" Lyssa made what looked like a little girl clapping her hands.

Once Kira was far enough from the group that they wouldn't hear her talking to herself, she whispered, "Lyssa, that pale guy is still here. I know you want to meet them, but possibly stay a bit father away for now? I don't exactly want to advertise the fact that I'm a radiant, especially when I don't know them." Lyssa didn't answer, but she did as Kira requested.

Kira reached the alley, and her eyes fell almost immediately on the body that lay there. "Oh no . . ." Kira whispered. She crouched down next to the girl and put a gentle hand on her arm. "Are you okay?" she asked the girl. Then, to the man, "What happened?"

10 hours ago, Hope Spren said:

Kira reached the alley, and her eyes fell almost immediately on the body that lay there. "Oh no . . ." Kira whispered. She crouched down next to the girl and put a gentle hand on her arm. "Are you okay?" she asked the girl.

Someone touched her arm, asked if she was okay. Wita continued to move for a while, then stopped, gropped for a reply.

"Fire."

She whispered.

"That fire."

her hand clung to Kira's and she heaved a sobbing breath.

"They never leave me alone. They always scream."

She fell silent, but stopped moving, leaned her head against a wall.

"They have to go away. I want to be alone."

In general: How old is Wita in your headcanon? Not what I wrote down, but how old do you picture her?

I was thinking about eighteen or nineteen. It's just easier to say girl, and it's still technically accurate.

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

Someone touched her arm, asked if she was okay. Wita continued to move for a while, then stopped, groped for a reply.

"Fire."

She whispered.

"That fire."

her hand clung to Kira's and she heaved a sobbing breath.

"They never leave me alone. They always scream."

She fell silent, but stopped moving, leaned her head against a wall.

"They have to go away. I want to be alone."

Memories. So it wasn't -- Kira glanced at the body again and then quickly looked away -- So it wasn't . . . about what had happened.

Kira wrapped her free arm around Wita's shoulders and pulled her closer, holding her tight. "They'll go away soon. I promise. I'll stay here while we wait for them to leave.

"Do you have a favorite song or story?"

1 hour ago, Hope Spren said:

"Do you have a favorite song or story?"

Wita gave in, allowed herself to be pulled against the other one's chest. It was nice to be hugged.

"They never go away."

She shook her head. She didn't understand. They would never go, never. They were a part of her, like two forged together to form one. They would never go away.

"I can only stop thinking, then they can't grasp me."

Wrapping an arm around the waist of the stranger she leaned against her, held on to her. A song. Or a story. Stories were so complicated. A song. There were some she liked, but there was the one, that was a fabulous jive.

"Sugar, honey, honey. I like that song."

How a song was supposed to help, she didn't really see, but thinking about it was complicated as well and so she simply stored some more, slowly calmed. Not thinking helped.

I'm perfectly fine with everybody calling her girl. I simply wondered if I made her too childish. Writing Wita is hard.

11 minutes ago, Hope Spren said:

"I'm not sure that I know that one. How does it go?" Distract her, get her thinking about something else. It helped. It didn't heal the pain, but it helped for a little bit.

Wita was silent for a while tried to recall the lyrics.

"Candy Girl..."

She said and then tried to focus to remember more. Nothing. Staring at the wall she knew, that she knew the lyrics, that she could recall them, if she lessened her storing. Her eyes moved to Marcel, to the corpse. There had been no need to tap, no need, other than that she'd tried to say sorry. for screaming. Maybe it would help it. Wita was silent, then she shook her head.

"Can't remember."

She admitted finally, the words slightly slurred. Blankly she looked at the wall, at the stones forming a single entity. Her figure relaxed, when the memories were burried again, when her mind concentrated on other things.