The Knights Next Prequel

Bookish Ocelot

The Knights Next Prequel is a roleplay set in 70's Europe, focusing on the events of the Cold War. 

Rules/guidelines/random setting things:

• The two primary magics are the Metallic arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy), and the Sellish magics.
  • The perpendicularities are all connected/in one place. The plot will focus on the separation of these. They are in an unknown location
  • NATO higherups know about investiture and send investiture users on espionage missions into the USSR
  • The countries that make up NATO keep the knowledge of magic to themselves. Civilians demonstrating the ability to use investiture are immediately conscripted
  • The USSR probably knows about investiture, but NATO isn't quite sure yet
  • You can play anyone on either side
  • Normal RP rules apply
  • All 16 allomantic metals are in play. 
  • Lerasium and atium are only known as myths, but NATO has a team dedicated to finding them in an attempt to make super-supersoldiers
  • Anyone with knowledge about the cold war, please let me know if any of this seems off/anachronistic. 
  • History will be followed closely, but dates of things may change. 
  • NATO is probably more of a military organization here than it was in actual history
  • You can have as many characters as you want, provided they are all well-rounded and contribute something useful
  • IT is currently 1972

Character sheets: Use the ones from TKND.

Characters:

• Bookish - Asger
    Spoiler

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

Name: Asger Codename:"Loki" Osmond

Appearence: 6'0" (1.82 m), blond hair, green eyes, lightly built

Investiture: F-Copper (Stores memories) 

Weapons/supplies: Copper ring he passes off as a wedding ring, experimental FNC rifle, 

Skills: Speaks Norwegian, English, Russian, French, and German with varying degrees of proficiency. Good with ranged weapons. 

Nationality: Norway

Affiliation: NATO intelligence division

Pesonality: Extroverted, but tends to try and prevent close relationships. Cocky at times, and has an ego larger than most aircraft carriers. 

Backstory: He doesn't remember. Whatever it was, it hurt him enough that he stored it in a coin that he refuses to throw away. Conscripted in '68 at the age of 22 after a french official noticed him tapping his ring to remember French. Currently en route to Russia via train from Brussels, the NATO HQ

• Sorana - Wita 
    Spoiler

Name: Wita

Appearance: simple dress, long auburn hair, dark eyes, slim figured, ling fingers

Investiture: F-Zinc (Stores mental speed)

Weapon: kitchen knife

Skills: Once she stops storing mental speed, Wita is a highly intelligent girl. She knows her way around computers and programming (state of the art are the 70's of course), in general she has a hand for electrical devices, although it takes her a long while to get anything done, due to her storing mental speed almost all the time.

Family: Dead. Wita watched them die when a whole street burned down. Ever since she’s been storing mental speed. Most people think she’s simply slow and stupid, but few can remember the quick-witted child she’d been. As long as she slows down her thoughts, there is no need to think and to process what happened, so Wita doesn’t plan to change that any time soon.

Nationality: British (can be changed, if another character knows her, I'll gladly switch)

Personality: Slow. Thinks about everything for a longer time. Friendly, but there’s no much depth to most interactions with her, as she is generally treated as an imbecile. Almost nobody knows that she is storing mental speed, and believe that the trauma of watching her parents die fractured her mind seriously. If someone takes the time though, she can be a true friend, offering insight and giving earnest feedback.

Backstory: After the street burned down Wita grew up with some friends of her parents. Her father was a feruchemist as well and one day she held a zinc bracelet in her hand and suddenly the pain was less, the thoughts tormenting her distant. When she gave it out hand she understood what had happened and started to store mental speed on purpose. At the moment she works in a kitchen focused on giving disabled people a place to live. She likes the place, as it is peaceful and quiet, and there is no need to really think about anything. When something breaks down, she usually repairs it to the surprise of everybody there and although it takes her a while, she's usually the one they call if the dish washer, a radio or even a computer breaks down.

Itiah - Marcel

• Spoiler

Name: Marcel Moreau

Age/Gender: 31, Male.

Physical: Blood-red eyes with very small pupils (they look scary to say the least), which he covers up with contact lenses that make him look like he’s got normal blue eyes. Pale skin and a tall, strong build. Dark hair and pencil-thin moustache. A small scar on the side of his neck.

Nationality: French, lives in Britain.

Clothing: Up to date with 70s trends :P. Long trousers, colourful shirt and jacket with red and white patterning, and a polka dot tie in the same colours.

Occupation: He works the night-shift at a cemetery to ward off grave robbers or scavengers. Usually this entails sitting in a small office looking at cameras. He uses this time to collect bones.

Investiture: Skilled Bloodsealer

Skills: Very skilled at his Investiture. He’s quite talented at reading people’s faces for emotions, and is good at things pertaining to the deceased: he can tell how someone has died, what weapons were used etc. Sociable. 

Family: His father has died, and his mother and twin sister live in France. They are both bloodsealers as well and use the same strategies to hide their eyes as Marcel does.

Personality: Despite his isolated job, he’s friendly and very approachable by people. He really enjoys watching television and the shows that appear there. He speaks clear English in a very light French accent. He’s got a complete lack of remorse, but other than that he’s nice.

Backstory: Grew up in France with his family until his father died. Had a heated argument with his twin sister which led to him travelling to Britain to pursue an education in forensic pathology, and he worked in a cemetery while he studied. 

Wyndle - Charles

• Spoiler

Name: Charles Williams

Magic Type: Twinborn with A-Brass, and F-Copper

Background: Charles was born in Manchester, to a well known Metalborn family, who taught him from a young age how to hide his powers, and the best ways to use them without attracting attention. As he grew into a man, he became well known as a highly charismatic individual, with a near infallible memory. He became a scholar of history, and found himself growing incredibly curious about life behind the Iron Curtain. So, without government consent, he began to plan an expedition into Soviet territory, planning to write a book on the truth of life in the Soviet Union.

Personality: Charles is a bit of an old soul, Charismatic and well-liked, and a proponent for traditional practices, and seeking truth from the past. He is not fond of the current conflict, as it prevents him from furthering his studies. He is fond of life’s comforts, but is not unafraid to get his hands dirty, if knowledge could be gained from it.

Dapper - Quinn

• Spoiler

Name: Quinn Minnan
    Investiture: F-Gold
    Appearance: A bit below average height, leanly muscled. Wears a white tank top tucked into dark blue jeans. He wears leather combat boots worn a dark brown color, and a long coat the same color. He has several tattoos of swirling runic and Celtic designs on his upper body. His fingers are adorned with quite a few gold rings, most of which are metalminds. 
    Personality: Pragmatic, does what needs to be done to protect himself and those close to him. He's ok with people, but is quickly annoyed by those he deems stupid or incompetent. He has few true friends, and would probably betray most of those who call him a friend with the right motivation. He has few morals, but does care about people. 
    Background: Quinn was born to a family of Metalborn Irish immigrants in Boston. His father joined the Mob when Quinn was about 10, and Quinn's older brother got involved around three years later. He himself joined at the age of 16, after his father bought him a 1969 AMC Rebel and taught him how to drive it. Quinn quickly fell in love with the car and became a suburb driver. His skills got the attention of some higher-ups in the organization, and he ended up driving from city to city, transporting illegal and sometimes dangerous cargo to Mob leadership. 
    Quinn's car: Quinn drives a 1969 AMC Rebel 2-door hardtop. It's painted matte black, with a single stripe of gold running down the driver's side.

Edited by BookishOcelot

Nice! 

I say we stick as close as humanly possible to IRL events. We can do things besides them, but not stuff that didn’t or couldn’t have happened. If we know it for sure, then it’s canon. (...except okay, this teeny tiny corner of me is screaming RASPUTIN BLOODSEALER at the top of its lungs, but...l mean it’s Rasputin, he’s Rasputin.) 

Went researching about historical stuff in seattle, in case we still wanted to use Surgebinding (Which would make sense because title), and I found The Puget Sound War, a war between several Native Americans tribes, and the US Military that took place around the Seattle area. So, while it would be interesting exploring the Industrial Revolution, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

Xino, why are you saying it would have to be in this area? I bet we can figure out a way to work around it, like we did with Elantrians and the Dor. 

As for the war my opinion is that we should do a more famous one; l like the idea of doing WW2 because not only is that a world war, which is good because not everyone lives in the same country and knows the same history (heck l sure don’t know most of the history for my own country, even), but it’s also famously documented. Though most wars are...not sure where l was going with that... 

On the issue with not being able to RP radiants, maybe we could have the locations of investiture shift over the years? Like how the West shifts in Percy Jackson but quicker? (Why are those books stuck in my head today...)

11 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

On the issue with not being able to RP radiants, maybe we could have the locations of investiture shift over the years? Like how the West shifts in Percy Jackson but quicker? (Why are those books stuck in my head today...)

That depends on the perpendicularities, which are stationary and can't move.

16 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Xino, why are you saying it would have to be in this area? I bet we can figure out a way to work around it, like we did with Elantrians and the Dor. 

If there was a way around, it would still apply, yes? And outside Investiture-users would know what they were looking for when they ventured inside.

Edited by xinoehp512

Mistborn revolution!!!! British soothers trying to stop the revolts, steelpushers running messages, tineye scouts, etc  

(mistborn was based on the french revolution)

I also feel like the idea of an elite squad of super soldiers in WWII could be really cool.  Radiants could totally flourish in that kind of setting- so much potential for brokenness and crazy combat scenes. Another thought I just had would be an Awakener running around starting some kind of cult and convincing people to hand over their breath. 

If we’re going to have a planning PM, could l be added, please? 

Do we know that perpendicularities can’t move, though? They might be able to. 

Sure, that way around could still apply. Doesn’t mean people know about it. We could discover it IC in TKND. 

I'd like to be part of the planning pm as well.

Regarding WW2. So that might be a bit personal here, but I can only do that if we treat the topic respectfully. I don't want to read through pages of how bad germany is, and terrible we all are - I know it was awful - and I don't want to read through pages making fun of the war. I already talked a bit about how much that war influences our lives until today, and I have no issue to explain again. Just keep in mind, that this is a sensitive topic for me and needs some careful handling. So maybe focus on the battles and not the political situation?

@Lord Furret

@everybodyelse

Edited by Sorana

Completely get it Sorana. Nobody should have to deal with things that happened generations before they were born. The states were a mess from the Civil war through the 1960s. Still kinda are. 

For those of you not familiar with US history, the civil war was fought over the “right” to enslave an entire race. Even after the war, southern states passed codes enforcing segregation. This wasn’t quite really fixed until the era of MLK, and is still an extremely sensitive topic.

11 hours ago, AonEne said:

Do we know that perpendicularities can’t move, though? They might be able to. 

They're pools of liquid Investiture that fill up over time. How could they move? It's not like picking the stuff up in buckets and dumping it somewhere else would do anything- I guarantee the Voidbringers would have done that if it were possible.

Plus, that opens up a whole other can of worms with Sha-thoexis that I really don't want to get into.

12 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

We could RP Metalborn in the 13 Colonies during the American Revolution

Then I suppose the Metalborn pools either (1) generate Lerasium or (2) Snap nearby people (along with whatever thing it does for Feruchemy).

11 hours ago, AonEne said:

Sure, that way around could still apply. Doesn’t mean people know about it. We could discover it IC in TKND. 

Why would people forget it? How would they forget it?

12 hours ago, Lord Furret said:

I really love this WWll idea, although this American Revolution sounds awesome! I have a plot coming together in my head already! I'll make a Planning PM.

Add me in as well, please.

I think we need to decide wether we want to play another set of KR, or a different kind of investiture.

And once this is decided we can think about how the setting we choose can fit that.

In my opinion the setting should be here, to give us something to toy with, not to extinguish any ideas. If it doesn't fit what we want to rp, then I'm in favour of adapting it, until it does fit again.