Long Game 58: A Hidden Threat

Straw

1 minute ago, Snipexe said:

also can confirm that STINK is active in pms.

Yeah, I've talked to them a bit in PM's too, though I think activity in PM's isn't a substitute for activity in the thread. Activity in PM's is something that's a lot harder to analyze and judge after all, and a lot easier to make inaccessible to the village if one of the members of a PM is an elim.

6 minutes ago, Randuir said:

Shanerockes, can you explain the reasoning behind this vote? It seems Aman voted on you merely because of activity, while this revenge vote seems odd at first glance. It seems designed to save your own life and discourage people from voting on you (because if they did, they'd risk being voted on in retaliation), rather than trying to discover information. Though this first cycle is somewhat unusual given the nature of this game, this vote still stands out to me as being seemingly motivated by a very non-village sentiment, being survival at any cost.

edit: ninja'd by Aman.

I mean thats the only real reason. I just recently got back into it and want to try to live longer than one cycle. You could lynch me second cycle if you wanted and I'd be fine with that.

9 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

hat do you think about the rest of my post? Is there anything I said that you personally disagree with, and if so, why? I'm not very familiar with you as a player and would deeply appreciate some insight into your thought processes.

So for your post, I don't have anything I disagree with. I think that it all check out pretty solidly to me and since you did say you're a soother, I will take my vote off of you. Aman

Upon reviewing the rules, it seems Coinshot is a one-time kill, and therefore probably exists (or will due to Snapping, irregardless of the existence of a Mistborn).

16 minutes ago, shanerockes said:

I mean thats the only real reason. I just recently got back into it and want to try to live longer than one cycle. You could lynch me second cycle if you wanted and I'd be fine with that.

So for your post, I don't have anything I disagree with. I think that it all check out pretty solidly to me and since you did say you're a soother, I will take my vote off of you. Aman

I can respect wanting to survive a cycle, so shanerockes, Brightness Radiant. Is it okay if I check up on her on Discord to make sure she hasn't forgotten about the game? 

Spoiler
  1. Haelbarde: [1]
  2. Burnt Spaghetti: [1]
  3. Snipexe: [3]
  4. StrikerEZ: [1]
  5. Araris Valerian: [2]
  6. Lumgol: [1]
  7. RayOfSunshine: [0]
  8. shanerockes: [2]
  9. Doc12: [1]
  10. Randuir: [5]
  11. Amanuensis: [8]
  12. BrightnessRadiant: [0]
  13. Fifth Scholar: [3]
  14. Devotary of Spontaneity: [1]
  15. Rathmaskal: [1]
  16. Young Bard: [2]
  17. Sart: [1]
  18. STINK: [1]

Vote Count:

• (1) AmanuensisFifth Scholar
  • (1) STINKAraris Valerian
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard
  • (1) Brightness RadiantAmanuensis,
Edited by Amanuensis
Keep forgetting to update my own post number

39 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I can respect wanting to survive a cycle, so shanerockes, Brightness Radiant. Is it okay if I check up on her on Discord to make sure she hasn't forgotten about the game? 

If you're asking me, then go ahead. Just make sure to not actually discuss what's been going on.

1 minute ago, Straw said:

If you're asking me, then go ahead. Just make sure to not actually discuss what's been going on.

No worries on that front! I just wanted to verify.

BR is now aware and should post later today.

A couple other things I want to say after reading the rules. First, a statement relevant to Straw. The rules say if votes are tied, both players will die. In the event of a 3 way tie of 3 votes I assume this would kill all three as well? With this in mind we need to be very careful of where the votes lie in the end.

Second, Tineyes can send anonymous messages each night to the thread. I think it would be a good idea if all Tineyes write something for us tonight, that way we know how many there are without anyone actually claiming.

Spoiler
  11. Amanuensis: [9]

12 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

A couple other things I want to say after reading the rules. First, a statement relevant to Straw. The rules say if votes are tied, both players will die. In the event of a 3 way tie of 3 votes I assume this would kill all three as well? With this in mind we need to be very careful of where the votes lie in the end.

Both players dying is just meant to discourage ties, so I'd probably just randomly select two players out of the pool of tied players.

Edited by Straw

13 minutes ago, Straw said:

Both players dying is just meant to discourage ties, so I'd probably just randomly select two players out of the pool of tied players.

Honestly it encourages me a bit more :P there's a couple viable scenarios where I'd advocate lynching two people at once. Proving a Thug claim while also getting a successful kill off, for example.

Spoiler
  11. Amanuensis: [10]

Edited by Amanuensis

Okay firstly I'd just like to say, I love having my posts deleted when I change the page :)

It was just basic explanations about why I've been absent which were work, feeling sick, and forgetting the game until last night. I'm here now. 

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

Heyy first time to be voted on cycle 1 I think xD thanks Aman,I feel accepted now lol. (Even if it is just for inactivity xD)

Okay last time I tried to quote @Haelbarde then my post got deleted :) so I just wanted to say that I really liked the part of your post where you said there might be 4 spikes instead of 3. I always think it's a good thing to figure more than less. Making the village expect less conversions would feel like more of an inquisitor thing to do. So I read village on that.

With a lot of very experienced players in this game it's kinda nice to have a bigger pool of people to suspect for the first conversion because if there were less of you than it would be less fun and you'd probably get picked off early because of it which always sucks for game play and fun for you guys. (Am I part of that list now? #thonk) 

Okay so one thing I was asking about in my deleted post was @Amanuensis why do we want to lynch mistings? I'm gonna go reread the rules but I didn't quite understand why we should want to lynch them first. Wouldn't that give the inquisitor more powers to give his converts? Since they might get the dead mistings abilities?

I'll try and be active this game I swear. Please give me a chance to do so. I'll be back with more later after I get some stuff done irl.

7 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Okay so one thing I was asking about in my deleted post was @Amanuensis why do we want to lynch mistings? I'm gonna go reread the rules but I didn't quite understand why we should want to lynch them first. Wouldn't that give the inquisitor more powers to give his converts? Since they might get the dead mistings abilities?

I think it’s because we want to try and get conversions as quickly as possible, if I was understand it correctly. (If I am wrong then, I would appreciate correction)

2 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

I think it’s because we want to try and get conversions as quickly as possible, if I was understand it correctly. (If I am wrong then, I would appreciate correction)

Ohhhh okay right I didn't understand that at first either but I get it now. I'm dumb xD because early conversions means trusting our reads on people better throughout the game without their alignment flipping. But I'm still not sure why the mistings in particular?

A Misting needs to die for the Inquisitor to try spiking their role into a different player. On D1 of LG32 we lynched a Vanilla, which prevented the Inquisitor from getting a conversion N1. After that, D2 had the same problem (1 Inquisitor versus 25+ villagers). I harbor the opinion that it's a big waste of time for everyone if we don't.

Spoiler
  3. Snipexe: [4]
  11. Amanuensis: [11]
  12. BrightnessRadiant: [2]

Edited by Amanuensis

Just now, Amanuensis said:

A Misting needs to die for the Inquisitor to try spiking their role into a different player. In LG32 we lynched a Vanilla, which prevented the Inquisitor from getting a conversion N1. After that, D2 had the same problem as D1 (1 Inquisitor versus 25+ villagers). I harbor the opinion that it's just a big waste of time for everyone.

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh okay right. Yeah I should've just reread the rules rather than asking but that's so much work:P thanks

Hmm so I agree with this idea but I also agree that role claiming could be dangerous as (Haelbard I think?) mentioned earlier. I'd rather you (Aman) didn't die cycle 1 just for this idea because that feels a little sad for you. Hm. I do like the risk it puts you at because it makes me lean village but I also don't ever trust you fully anymore so yeah. xD I'll just put it on my regular sus and not sus list in my mind as a point in your favor lol.

Just now, Amanuensis said:

A Misting needs to die for the Inquisitor to try spiking their role into a different player. In LG32 we lynched a Vanilla, which prevented the Inquisitor from getting a conversion N1. After that, D2 had the same problem as D1 (1 Inquisitor versus 25+ villagers). I harbor the opinion that it's just a big waste of time for everyone.

I’m against this, somewhat—forcing the Eliminators to kill N1 actually speeds the game along, and can be informative; for instance, if you’re killed, we know the Inquisitor was just hunting the ability to convert. We’d also learn something if people are killed after being on the certain side of some lynch, the activity level they demonstrate, etc., and after a cycle of Night roles being used there’d be information there too. And that’s not even mentioning the value of discussion we get from lynches; in short, while speeding the conversion process may work out for us, it has equal potential to stifle discussion or leave players confused. Further, a. the Inquisitor is under no obligation to convert, and b. if possible, I’d rather get the Inquisitor before all their conversions are used up. 

7 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

I’m against this, somewhat—forcing the Eliminators to kill N1 actually speeds the game along, and can be informative; for instance, if you’re killed, we know the Inquisitor was just hunting the ability to convert. We’d also learn something if people are killed after being on the certain side of some lynch, the activity level they demonstrate, etc., and after a cycle of Night roles being used there’d be information there too. And that’s not even mentioning the value of discussion we get from lynches; in short, while speeding the conversion process may work out for us, it has equal potential to stifle discussion or leave players confused. Further, a. the Inquisitor is under no obligation to convert, and b. if possible, I’d rather get the Inquisitor before all their conversions are used up. 

I agree that the inquisitor doesn't have to(and probably won't) use all their conversions up on the first couple of cycles because that kinda loses them the element of surprise and confusion which they want and is kinda the whole point of a conversion game. So while it would be nicer for the village if they do convert early, that doesn't mean we can expect it to happen. 

Maybe if we don't hit the inquisitor or a misting after a cycle or 2 then we can think about lynching a misting purely for being a misting to hurry the conversions along?

Edit: Oh also, @Amanuensis care to take the inactivity vote off of me? :P

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

11 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

So you'd prefer a no lynch today, then? In that scenario there's a very high chance the Inquisitor will kill me tonight for the guaranteed conversion N2 (not to mention the fact I've let them know I have an elim-ideal role). I'd rather get my death out of the way now, so that way D2 isn't just another no-lynch (or worse, that a better role dies).

Brightness Radiant. Amanuensis.

Fundamentally, I don't really like the idea of killing the Inquisitor before they can use all their conversions. These games are significantly more fun when they're close.

ED1T:

• (2) AmanuensisFifth ScholarAmanuensis,
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard

Hide contents
  11. Amanuensis: [13]
  12. BrightnessRadiant: [4]
  13. Fifth Scholar: [4]
Edited by Amanuensis

14 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

I think you're just keeping this post count to show off :lol:

Nah hahaha. You caught me just as I was modifying the colors and getting ready to tag more people.

Hide contents
  11. Amanuensis: [14]

@Haelbarde, @Burnt Spaghetti, @StrikerEZ, @Lumgol, @Doc12, @Devotary of Spontaneity, @Sart, and @STINK are competing for second-to-last in posts.

@RayOfSunshine still has not posted.

Since I would still like to play the game, I will go ahead and look over each of these player's posts to see if there's anything noteworthy. I'm somewhat suspicious of Fifth right now, however, since if he were the Inquisitor, I would expect him to take this exact same stance so he seems the most punishing toward himself, not to mention the end result of delaying conversions working out for the Inquisitor more than it would the village (even more so if he's suggesting we actually try to lynch the Inquisitor today/tomorrow, since that has an incredibly high likelihood of killing off multiple villagers).

Edited by Amanuensis

29 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Brightness Radiant. Amanuensis.

The red confused him. His own name?

It made no sense. Was there something more afoot?

A small concern. Was it mere boredom?

A foul thing, that would be.

10 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

@STINK are competing for second-to-last in posts.

The mention confused him. His own name?

It made some sense. Should he post more?

A small concern. Should he not RP?

A foul thing, that would be.

3 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

To the Inquisitor, I humbly ask that if I do sacrifice myself (or manage to lynch another Misting), please don't let it be for nothing. While I have stated multiple times that it's in the village's best interest to have you convert people sooner rather than later, I want to point out that it's also better for you to establish a team of at least 2 while the player count is still high, for better coordination and overall blending. Although you are in no way obligated and there are some arguments to be made for saving your conversions, that decision ultimately prolongs what makes these games fun.

Also, for clarification, I am indeed a Soother as Rand had guessed. Since the plan Wilson and I concocted in LG32 is visible in that game's dead doc, I'm not actually banking on pulling off any pseudo-scans. My sole intention of claiming my role is to ensure that I am never converted.

The main benefit of the Inquisitor converting early is having someone to talk with in the doc, but other than that it's the ability to convert and kill in the same cycle. Are you certain that conversion is a night-only action? I haven't found any examples of Inquisitors converting during the day with the corpse of a night kill, but I don't know if that was a choice or a rule. If conversions can happen during the day, an Inquisitor would be perfectly happy to abstain from using a Misting who dies today in favour of one who dies tonight, as that would allow them to get two kills in the first two cycles instead of one.

If you want to prove Soother, you would have to announce who your target is every day. Village smokers, soothers, and rioters would make sure they didn't interfere, but the same cannot be said for elims with those roles. Claiming your target at the last second once one of those roles is used as conversion fuel would help with that, but could get you tangled up with village vote manipulators targeting the same person.

I don't think we can afford to wait around until the Inquisitor uses up all their conversions. Specifically, this is because an Inquisitor with multiple lives is disinclined to use them all up for one more conversion. This is helped by the fact that a dead misting is needed for a conversion, so an Inquisitor who gets lynched might not have the opportunity to use up their conversion. With limited Coinshot abilities, going for Seeking lynch survivors instead of killing gives an Inquisitor another chance to get off a conversion, again only if day conversions are possible. The percentage of mistings will likely increase throughout the game, giving the elims a better chance of a night kill hitting one.

Well, I have decided that I do not want Aman to die today, at the very least. I agree with his point of forcing the Inquisitor's hand, but as he is actually active and making gambits while the rest of us mill around waiting for something to happen, I don't want that voice silenced so quickly. Of course, the vote on himself could be his gambit, making himself seem too earnest or too valuable to die, but I'm willing to take that risk and hope that if he is evil, he merely gives us more rope from which to hang himself. 

I hope I am not wrong, I...constantly trust the wrong people. 

I also hate choosing someone to die, but it would be more palatable if someone like RayofSunshine died, who has not said anything, instead of Aman with his 14 posts. Then again, I think Ray is a new player and it would be cruel to kill someone before they've even shown up. I don't think I can stoop to that, just yet. I suppose the best actual reason I would have to suspect someone would be the ones thinking to delay the game instead of speeding it along like Aman is trying to do. To that end, I suppose I will put my vote on Fifth. I will be back before the cycle ends to change my vote if necessary. 

10 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

The main benefit of the Inquisitor converting early is having someone to talk with in the doc, but other than that it's the ability to convert and kill in the same cycle. Are you certain that conversion is a night-only action? I haven't found any examples of Inquisitors converting during the day with the corpse of a night kill, but I don't know if that was a choice or a rule. If conversions can happen during the day, an Inquisitor would be perfectly happy to abstain from using a Misting who dies today in favour of one who dies tonight, as that would allow them to get two kills in the first two cycles instead of one.

If you want to prove Soother, you would have to announce who your target is every day. Village smokers, soothers, and rioters would make sure they didn't interfere, but the same cannot be said for elims with those roles. Claiming your target at the last second once one of those roles is used as conversion fuel would help with that, but could get you tangled up with village vote manipulators targeting the same person.

I don't think we can afford to wait around until the Inquisitor uses up all their conversions. Specifically, this is because an Inquisitor with multiple lives is disinclined to use them all up for one more conversion. This is helped by the fact that a dead misting is needed for a conversion, so an Inquisitor who gets lynched might not have the opportunity to use up their conversion. With limited Coinshot abilities, going for Seeking lynch survivors instead of killing gives an Inquisitor another chance to get off a conversion, again only if day conversions are possible. The percentage of mistings will likely increase throughout the game, giving the elims a better chance of a night kill hitting one.

It doesn't appear to have been specified in the rules. Straw, are conversions limited to the night phase?

I've considered this, and came up with two potential solutions. One involved asking Smokers to consider PMing me so we could coordinate, but I don't believe that's very fun or wise. The other is to announce in-thread that I'll be explicitly Soothing my own votes, that way all people need to know is to not Smoke/Riot me.

Ah. I may have misworded something earlier, or given the wrong impression. I am not advocating we wait for the Inquisitor to use all their conversions. I just would like the game to have a team of 3 before I start getting heavy into analysis, since anything less is very difficult to catch. Especially when the Inquisitor gets to pick their own team.

• (2) AmanuensisFifth ScholarAmanuensis,
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard,
  • (1) Fifth ScholarDoc12,

Hide contents
  9. Doc12: [2]
  11. Amanuensis: [14]
  14. Devotary of Spontaneity: [2]
  18. STINK: [2]
Edited by Amanuensis

OK, it seems pretty certain that Aman is village, and I'm fine with a Misting being killed today. But I feel that's different to not even trying to search for the Inquisitor today, which Aman seems to be trying to push for. Just searching for a Misting and nothing else stifles conversation, and a strategy we can use to find the Converts later is watching to see if their opinions change visibly in thread between this cycle and future cycles. That's part of why I voted on Lum - I doubted they were going to get lynched today but I figured if I floated them as a lynch candidate then at least it would give us a data point to analyse on later.

19 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

OK, it seems pretty certain that Aman is village, and I'm fine with a Misting being killed today. But I feel that's different to not even trying to search for the Inquisitor today, which Aman seems to be trying to push for. Just searching for a Misting and nothing else stifles conversation, and a strategy we can use to find the Converts later is watching to see if their opinions change visibly in thread between this cycle and future cycles. That's part of why I voted on Lum - I doubted they were going to get lynched today but I figured if I floated them as a lynch candidate then at least it would give us a data point to analyse on later.

That's why I suggested only considering Aman's proposal of lynching a known misting after a few cycles if we only hit vanilla players. Besides, if we do follow Aman's plan, there's no guarantee that the inquisitor will even convert the first night anyways. They may decide to not convert at all for a while. It's pretty easy for 1 player to hide among a large group most of the time and later conversions help them out with throwing off reads. I wouldn't guilt trip the inquisitor into making their conversions right away and I'd argue that it wouldn't make it more fun for everyone because everyone likes different play styles. Personally I do like regular games the best where it's just village vs set elim team but that's not what we signed up to play. The inquisitor shouldn't feel like they're required to convert early just because other people might say it will make the game more fun. It's part of the mystery for who would be converted etc. Trying to wipe out the game mechanic won't work because you don't know how the elim team will want to play the game. I'd guess they'd save at least 1 conversion for late in game anyways with the suicide thing. So we won't be able to completely rule out regular reads early in game anyways. This cycle will be the only one where we know for sure that there's only 1 elim so we should probably vote suspicions if any or at least talk about them today because it'll be the only for sure cycle we get if a misting dies where we can look back and analyze who might be the inquisitor. 

I'm gonna do a read through later for who I'd rather vote for. While I think Aman's idea was probably well intentioned, the more I think about it, the less helpful it seems to try and focus on.

Okay, so, I don't have much time to post, but I'd just like to say that I think it'd be amazing if Aman was pulling off the greatest gambit of all time (I think he could do it, too), but I'm pretty sure he's being honest in his earnestness to try and win this game for the village. Even if I disagree with his method. Just in case though, I'll be voting on Aman. I'm gonna call his bluff. :P

46 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

I personally think lynching the Inquisitor today would be the worst possible scenario, since it means the game would be over by N2 (if we have a kill role) or N3 (if we don't). My idea with this gambit was that it would put an interesting spin on the discussion as opposed to stifling it. For example, Striker's first post was venturing toward the lynch/no-lynch debate, which is generally considered unproductive. I also find poke votes (or stab votes) to rarely turn up anything useful.

Ultimately I prefer to be preemptive rather than reactive. It's always better to keep your enemies on the back foot. Push hard enough and eventually they'll stumble.

25 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

That's why I suggested only considering Aman's proposal of lynching a known misting after a few cycles if we only hit vanilla players. Besides, if we do follow Aman's plan, there's no guarantee that the inquisitor will even convert the first night anyways. They may decide to not convert at all for a while. It's pretty easy for 1 player to hide among a large group most of the time and later conversions help them out with throwing off reads. I wouldn't guilt trip the inquisitor into making their conversions right away and I'd argue that it wouldn't make it more fun for everyone because everyone likes different play styles. Personally I do like regular games the best where it's just village vs set elim team but that's not what we signed up to play. The inquisitor shouldn't feel like they're required to convert early just because other people might say it will make the game more fun. It's part of the mystery for who would be converted etc. Trying to wipe out the game mechanic won't work because you don't know how the elim team will want to play the game. I'd guess they'd save at least 1 conversion for late in game anyways with the suicide thing. So we won't be able to completely rule out regular reads early in game anyways. This cycle will be the only one where we know for sure that there's only 1 elim so we should probably vote suspicions if any or at least talk about them today because it'll be the only for sure cycle we get if a misting dies where we can look back and analyze who might be the inquisitor. 

I'm gonna do a read through later for who I'd rather vote for. While I think Aman's idea was probably well intentioned, the more I think about it, the less helpful it seems to try and focus on.

If I came off as guilty-trippy, that's my bad. I just don't know what else I can do that's productive at this stage in the game. I wholeheartedly believe the Inquisitor should make their own decisions. The way I see it, I'm just giving them more options.

Likewise, villagers need to make their own decisions. I can see Fifth being Village, even though I disagree with his stance on forcing a night kill. Seeing who stands where on this subject is great information and so far I think it's gotten quite a bit of content out of players that will make for good analysis. Each post is a data point, to use Bard's terminology.

10 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, so, I don't have much time to post, but I'd just like to say that I think it'd be amazing if Aman was pulling off the greatest gambit of all time (I think he could do it, too), but I'm pretty sure he's being honest in his earnestness to try and win this game for the village. Even if I disagree with his method. Just in case though, I'll be voting on Aman. I'm gonna call his bluff. :P

Last time Striker voted for me D1, he was evil. Inquisitor confirmed.

Ya'll are welcome :P

• (3) AmanuensisFifth ScholarAmanuensisStrikerEZ,
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard,
  • (1) Fifth ScholarDoc12,

Hide contents
  4. StrikerEZ: [2]