Long Game 58: A Hidden Threat

Straw

42 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I would really like to play this game (and specifically, do so while remaining village), but since it would be hypocritical of myself to ask we lynch a misting today while being a misting myself, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that fact now. Our ideal situation today would be to lynch an inactive misting, but I am willing to make that sacrifice if it helps the village get closer to winning.

After LG56, I feel like I’m willing to accept this sacrifice. :P More seriously, I’m slightly unsure why you’d want to kill a Misting today—the Inquisitor is under no mandate to convert, and I think lynching a vanilla and watching where the Inquisitor chooses to kill might grant us more information than a lynch and a conversion, which is only one alignment flip and says little about the convert or the Inquisitor. Finally, a Misting claim, while consistent with your stated intent of hurrying along the conversion process, could also be consistent with an Inquisitor’s attempt to remain below suspicion. As such, and to test his willingness to follow through on his promise, Amanuensis

Oh joy. The challenge. >> Aman, I hope you realise this could end very much like last time if the Inquisitor isn’t in a sporting mood. 

1 minute ago, Fifth Scholar said:

After LG56, I feel like I’m willing to accept this sacrifice. :P More seriously, I’m slightly unsure why you’d want to kill a Misting today—the Inquisitor is under no mandate to convert, and I think lynching a vanilla and watching where the Inquisitor chooses to kill might grant us more information than a lynch and a conversion, which is only one alignment flip and says little about the convert or the Inquisitor. Finally, a Misting claim, while consistent with your stated intent of hurrying along the conversion process, could also be consistent with an Inquisitor’s attempt to remain below suspicion. As such, and to test his willingness to follow through on his promise, Amanuensis

Oh joy. The challenge. >> Aman, I hope you realise this could end very much like last time if the Inquisitor isn’t in a sporting mood. 

Last time it was a Coinshot who killed me. I'm hoping there won't be a repeat this time. But yes, I'm aware it puts me at risk, and I accept that risk.

As it stands, if a Misting isn't lynched today then on D2 there is still only 1 elim. 2 villager dead means 1 v 15 and we still won't really have any leads / will be basically guaranteed to lynch another Villager before the N2 convert. The way I see it, the game is significantly harder until at least 2 conversions are made, and I would rather that happen sooner for the overall chance of the village.

1 hour ago, Amanuensis said:

I will be able to prove my role consistently so in the event I am ever converted, I will no longer have my role. So if I stop using my ability just lynch or night kill me immediately.

I do not want to be converted. And preferably I would ask the Inquisitor and his future converts to spare me until N4 the earliest. On N1 of LG32 I issued a challenge to the Inquisitor then, and that challenge stands now.

I would find the post but I'm mobile rn.

Question for the GM: If a Misting is converted, and gains the role of the lynched Misting, do they lose their original role?

Alright, so rp wise, Cutting Bored, a koloss whose just a bit too intelligent for his own good is here. ( @Straw —rp character)

In other thoughts: Aman’s claim seems a bit bold to be so early on in the game. It’s a gutsy enough gambit that I’m relatively confident that he’s village, but then again, if said gambit were to pay off, it would do so exceptional well. Overall this claim almost reads a NAI to me simply because the Pros and Cons on either side seem relatively equal.

35 minutes ago, Sart said:

Question for the GM: If a Misting is converted, and gains the role of the lynched Misting, do they lose their original role?

Yes.

Another clarification that I'd like to throw in: if a Mistborn is used for conversion, the person converted will have a 50% chance of gaining a random allomantic power.

2 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

The previous game had it so even if the 50% chance of the Spiked gaining the new role failed, they would still lose the original. Not sure if that's still true but I assumed it was. Can we have confirmation for this game?

That's correct.

Hello, checking in!

Like Fifth said, it is quite likely that the Inquisitor starts out with 2 (or maybe 3, although that's a bit less likely) extra lives and some sort of ability to protect from bronze scans.

The way he jumped right into detail about the Inquisitor's likely abilities seems... a *bit* sketchy? Like he might know too much and be trying to give us alternate ideas? But I don't really have much information to go off of, and his guesses as to what abilities the Inquisitor would have seem quite reasonable. So, NAI for now. 

As for whether we should lynch a Misting... It would definitely depend on the *type* of Misting lynched. For example, lynching a Tineye (especially if there's only 1, although I find that less likely) might make us lose PM's early on in the game, and lynching a Thug seems kind of pointless, since it won't give us any converts and the Thug will essentially become vanilla for the rest of the game, except for conversion purposes. I'll expand on the different Mistings later, and the pros and cons of lynching them early on, because I have to go to bed soon.

Opal stood by a wall, just watching as other citizens passed by. They seemed nervous. This made sense. After all there was an inquisitor around. Inquisitors have shiny things... but they bad shiny. Opal liked shiny things but she only collected small things. Harmless things. Like the button she was idly turning over in her fingers.

----

Firstly

Do not expect to see me around rollover. If I am, tell me to go to sleep. cause it's at 5.30am for me. so if you ever happen to want to lynch me, please let me know at the start of the cycle? please? I'd appreciate that? Thank you?

Secondly

Uh, well, I'm not always great at saying loads of useful stuff in thread. But my pms are open to all, i'm much more likely to be quite conversational there

re lynching a misting. I agree that that could mean some information sooner than later from giving the inquizyboi something to spike, and blindly shooting in the dark for one person is going to be hard, whereas with two people theres a chance of linking people together or finding people based on roles or something as y'all have said. I will be very very sad though if we do this and take out the tineye though just sayin, causei like my pms xD. Though other than amans claim of being a mistingi'llbe surprised if we get many other volunteers, unless someone happens to  knowtheyll be busy or something idk. otherwise hitting an inactive yeah. idont really have many thoughts right now.

8 hours ago, Straw said:

The following players have not given themselves an RP name: Haelbarde, Snipexe,  BrightnessRadiant, and Sart.

Fine, name and shame...

Spar is a skaa who grew up on the streets of Luthadel, fortunate enough to be apprenticed to a cobbler. 

Some thoughts.

In LG2, the enhanced powers the Inquisitor had were: 

UberThug - Ruin has blessed you with exceptional strength and endurance. You survive three attempts on your life instead of just two. After the first attempt, you appear as a Thug in the write up, but still scan as a regular villager.
UberTineye - You can listen in on any conversation without the other person knowing. This includes PMs. If all the other Tineyes die, your ability does not allow for PMs to continue.
UberSmoker - While this ability doesn't protect you from emotional Allomancy like a regular Smoker would be, you register as a Regular Villager during any attempts to seek you.
UberSeeker - Gives you the ability to pierce Copperclouds as well as the typical Seeker role abilities. Smokers who have their Copperclouds pierced will lose their protection from emotional Allomancy, as well as their target.
UberCoinshot - Without this ability, you cannot kill. You'll have to rely on your converts for kills if you lose this one.

In LG32 the enhanced powers were:

UberPewter (Thug) - Can survive two kills on me. First kill gives a Thug message. Second reveals me as the Inquisitor.

UberIron (Lurcher) - With UberIron, you may target a player and redirect their action to another player of your choice. They will not be informed that the redirect occurs. 
Someone snapped!

UberCopper (Smoker) - This is a passive power. If you are scanned, you will scan as a Regular Crewmember. You are not protected from emotional Allomancy, however.

UberBronze (Seeker) - You have a choice. Either you may target a single player and learn their role, regardless of whether they are protected by a Smoker, or you may sense more generally and discover what actions were used and how many of each (not including those clouded by Smokers).

UberSteel (Coinshot) - This is your ability to kill. If you give this up, you must rely on your converts to put in a kill action. 

Keep in mind that they had 29 players (as did LG32), and we only have 18. I'd imagine the Inquisitor has at most 4 spikes, or if we're lucky they may only have 3. If there's a really weird role distribution, then 2 is I think possible (meaning only one convert), but I reckon that's unlikely.

Anyways. Assume 4 spikes, then we've 3 conversions to worry about, and the inquisitor will have 4 abilities. Note that between the last two games, 4 abilities were the same type, although the Seeker ability was changed between games, and instead of the UberTineye, the second game had an UberLurcher ability. Maybe this time we'll see Uber Emotional Manipulation (in other words, Uber Vote Shenanigans).

Anyways, I think it's fairly safe to assume the Inquisitor will have UberPewter, UberSteel, and UberCopper, plus probably one other. Maybe we'll get lucky with village seekers, but I'm not expecting that we'll get much luck finding the inquisitor (though that's not a reason for any seekers to not scan - find allies, and any spiked once we get conversions).

@Straw I assume that any converts do not get the normal version of the UberPower the Inquisitor gave up to spike them, only a chance of whatever misting ability was used to spike them?

Now, to read thread:

Ah, I see others have already brought up the powers. I think I added a little detail though. I do feel like 4 is not outside of the realms of possibility. It's still ends up being under 25%, and again, depending on village roles, could probably work. 

Just a reminder to be careful of roleclaims - if too many roleclaim honestly and it gets back to the spiked team, it can help them hunt down players like the tineye, or any potential coinshots, or say the mistborn. I'm not saying don't, but be careful.

Re: Aman roleclaim - sigh. This does not surprise me. It's an Aman thing to do. But I don't think it makes me trust him any more or less. He could easily pull off a publicly revealed Inquisitor, I'm sure.

I do probably agree with Aman though. While what gives us the most information is not lynching at all for a day or two and wait for information to come in from seeing what kills/protects/redirects happen, until we get a conversion, and then do something. But that's also incredibly boring, and the games being fun is more important. I'm not sure I care to lynch Aman though - I'd much prefer to lynch an inactive, given the choice. 

Nevene tried to run. There was no use waiting around for the Inquisitor to show up. That's how bystanders ended up just as dead as the Inquisitor's targets. She tried the front door only to find it conveniently locked. Well, that would never do. Nothing to be gained by picking the lock; whoever had shut them in would undoubtedly be looking for those trying to escape that way. Which meant she needed to find a place to hide and pretend she'd never tried to leave, while searching for a more discreet exit. Surely the  nobles wouldn't notice one more skaa in their midst.

The way conversions work in this game, there's no reason other than fear of iron protection for an Inquisitor not to kill a misting who will be able to consistently prove their role. Converting someone with a role is somewhat of an advantage in that it acts as a kill on that role, but there's less incentive for the Inquisitor to recruit players with roles than in other conversion games. I suppose a Seeker can confirm that anyone with a role isn't the Inquisitor, supposing the claimant isn't immediately slaughtered, but that's probably not the best use of a Seeker's action as it's wasted if their target does end up dying. 

38 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

Keep in mind that they had 29 players (as did LG32), and we only have 18. I'd imagine the Inquisitor has at most 4 spikes, or if we're lucky they may only have 3. If there's a really weird role distribution, then 2 is I think possible (meaning only one convert), but I reckon that's unlikely.

Anyways. Assume 4 spikes, then we've 3 conversions to worry about, and the inquisitor will have 4 abilities. Note that between the last two games, 4 abilities were the same type, although the Seeker ability was changed between games, and instead of the UberTineye, the second game had an UberLurcher ability. Maybe this time we'll see Uber Emotional Manipulation (in other words, Uber Vote Shenanigans).

The rules for this game seem to indicate that the Inquisitor can use up their last Spike to convert someone even though it kills them, which would make three spikes more reasonable than four. Unless Straw changed how UberSteel works for and the Inquisitor has access to the kill even without that Spike, the Inquisitor's array is likely limited to exactly Pewter, Copper, Steel. That seems like a good reason to remove the requirement for the Inquisitor to use UberSteel though.

Honored peers,

Greetings, it is good to be among old friends(?) once more. Know that while I have not missed the frenzy of confusion and suspicion that we inevitably devolve into, I have missed  you. I have missed you all, and hold some regret on my long absence. It is a pleasure to be with you once again, following the ideas and gambits of better strategists than I. I will, of course, not shirk my duty of thinking for myself and of staying focused. I cannot contribute much, but I will endeavor to be present. 

On the Inquisitor, I confess to be wildly out of my depth. I have never encountered one, and would never wish to. I am grateful to those who have studied the legends and presented theories on its mysterious powers - I know not what to expect, and cannot contribute anything to its powers or number of spikes. To those who have pushed forward stories, they could be the Inquisitor throwing us off its scent, or simply friends fighting to give us information. 

On information, there can be no information besides claims of roles today. It would be futile to analyze reads or look for partnering... I don't like the thought of no one else stepping up and only having Aman to lynch, we could... we could...

No, I am simply repeating what came before.

All this has already been said, and... Lord Ruler, I have nothing to add. I'll... I will return before the day ends to place a vote if necessary - similar to Opal, the day will end while I sleep. Give me the same honor of announcing my death before I sleep. 

Why am I even here? I would say it is my friends, but... all of you will likely die, or worse, be the ones to betray me... and there is likely nothing I can do to prevent it. Spar, Opal, Eliza...Beattie... I know you all. You are friends, and we are all going to die... 

Oh Lord Ruler...

Riri was right. I should never have come back.

- Galen Aurette (Doc)

Allright then, I'm mostly rested up, so time to say something useful! 

*reads thread*

...time to agree with the people that said all the useful stuff already! :P 

I agree that we need a lynch C1 because it's necessary to get the game moving. Ideally we'd end up lynching an inactive smoker, as copper is a very unfortunate power for the elims as it actually makes them easier to find (anyone immune to emotional allomancy is automatically suspect). I think Aman wouldn't be a good pick for the first lynch, as I'm fairly certain I know what power he claimed, and I'd like to keep that one in the game for a couple more cycles :ph34r:

Speaking of Aman's claim, if he has the metal I think he has, then the claims as a whole makes rather a lot of sense I think. He would be a likely candidate for conversion because he's pretty good at this game, but would be caught very quick if converted because of the game's mechanics, so I could see village!Aman publicly discouraging the inquisitor from converting him to make the game more fun for both him (not getting lynched early after getting converted) and the inquisitor (not wasting a conversion). It could be a gambit by elim!Aman as well, so I'm not putting him in the 100% cleared camp yet, but ti doesn't feel odd to me.

I don't know how useful all the speculation on the metals is though. Looking back on what was used in previous games does give us something of a framework on what to expect, but it feels like a rather empty and safe topic to do really in-depth discussion on beyond 'be aware that the inquisitor has special powers. These are the ones they had in the last two games.'

Anyway, the person I'm most suspicious of right now is @Devotary of Spontaneity, for not having been confirmed 100% good yet. :P In all seriousness though, Elim!Devotary is scary and sneaky, so I'd love to hear more from her. I'll try to get a serious vote in at some point, but I'm rather lost right now.

Edited by Randuir

Beattie arrived in a town square - unusually empty for this time of day, and saw an old friend - someone who they'd had lots of fun with in days gone past, and a grin split across their face. "Hey there, old man. Why so grouchy?" she muttered under her breath. She started to move across to reintroduce herself, then thought of something better. She'd put a smile on his face, somehow. She just needed to find some materials first...

7 hours ago, Lumgol said:

Like Fifth said, it is quite likely that the Inquisitor starts out with 2 (or maybe 3, although that's a bit less likely) extra lives and some sort of ability to protect from bronze scans.

The way he jumped right into detail about the Inquisitor's likely abilities seems... a *bit* sketchy? Like he might know too much and be trying to give us alternate ideas? But I don't really have much information to go off of, and his guesses as to what abilities the Inquisitor would have seem quite reasonable. So, NAI for now. 

Hmmm... Lumgol. I tend to find that Eliminators undersell their own sides abilities (probably from an internalised sense of their own side being the underdog) - 2 spikes means just one convert and then one additional convert from suicide, which seems highly unlikely. Plus, something feels slightly off about it as a gut read.

5 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

I assume that any converts do not get the normal version of the UberPower the Inquisitor gave up to spike them, only a chance of whatever misting ability was used to spike them?

Correct.

13 hours ago, Snipexe said:

In other thoughts: Aman’s claim seems a bit bold to be so early on in the game. It’s a gutsy enough gambit that I’m relatively confident that he’s village, but then again, if said gambit were to pay off, it would do so exceptional well. Overall this claim almost reads a NAI to me simply because the Pros and Cons on either side seem relatively equal.

I never take any of Aman's gambits as bold anymore.  I don't think there's much to read here.

Anyway, hello folks.  Not really any suspicions yet.

Re: UberSteel, I’ve already clarified with Straw that the Inquisitor begins with access to the Spiked faction kill, which makes me highly doubt its existence in its previous form. I had forgotten that the last Spike being removed would kill the Inquisitor, though, so 3 probably is a likely estimate but may not be the highest we should plan for; 4 is. It’s probably worth seeking clarification if the Inquisitor can suicide to convert a final player; @Straw, is this possible? If not, then 4 is probably a better estimate.

As for whether we should lynch a Misting... It would definitely depend on the *type* of Misting lynched. For example, lynching a Tineye (especially if there's only 1, although I find that less likely) might make us lose PM's early on in the game, and lynching a Thug seems kind of pointless, since it won't give us any converts and the Thug will essentially become vanilla for the rest of the game, except for conversion purposes. I'll expand on the different Mistings later, and the pros and cons of lynching them early on, because I have to go to bed soon.

@Lumgol

In addition to the point Bard brought up in his post, Lum, I’d note that a Thug lynch is incredibly useful because any Thug is a potential Inquisitor, and the lynched player can be checked by Seekers at night to confirm whether or not a Thug actually is evil. As for my jumping into the abilities, there was little else to discuss, and as Bard and Hael correctly note I was drawing mostly from past games, as I have the advantage of having read over both LG2 and 32 several times. 

I don't know how useful all the speculation on the metals is though. Looking back on what was used in previous games does give us something of a framework on what to expect, but it feels like a rather empty and safe topic to do really in-depth discussion on beyond 'be aware that the inquisitor has special powers. These are the ones they had in the last two games.'

Again, it was meant mostly as a kick-starter, and I think my points on increased PM safety and number of spikes had merit besides restating past abilities and speculating.  

2 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Again, it was meant mostly as a kick-starter, and I think my points on increased PM safety and number of spikes had merit besides restating past abilities and speculating.  

My comment wasn't aimed specifically at you, but your defense has been noted ;).

3 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Re: UberSteel, I’ve already clarified with Straw that the Inquisitor begins with access to the Spiked faction kill, which makes me highly doubt its existence in its previous form. I had forgotten that the last Spike being removed would kill the Inquisitor, though, so 3 probably is a likely estimate but may not be the highest we should plan for; 4 is. It’s probably worth seeking clarification if the Inquisitor can suicide to convert a final player; @Straw, is this possible? If not, then 4 is probably a better estimate.

While I will not confirm the number of spikes, I can confirm that a suicide convert is possible.

Post Count

1. Haelbarde: [1]
  2. Burnt Spaghetti: [1]
  3. Snipexe: [2]
  4. StrikerEZ: [1]
  5. Araris Valerian: [2]
  6. Lumgol: [1]
  7. RayOfSunshine: [0]
  8. shanerockes: [0]
  9. Doc12: [1]
  10. Randuir: [3]
  11. Amanuensis: [6]
  12. BrightnessRadiant: [0]
  13. Fifth Scholar: [3]
  14. Devotary of Spontaneity: [1]
  15. Rathmaskal: [1]
  16. Young Bard: [2]
  17. Sart: [1]
  18. STINK: [0]

It seems that @RayOfSunshine, @shanerockes, @BrightnessRadiant, and @STINK are the only 4 players who haven't posted. While my primary goal this cycle is lynching a misting, my secondary goal is to get as many players involved in all further discussions as possible, with a focus on those who are typically less active. Because STINK is active in PMs and Brightness hasn't been on the shard since Thursday, I will go ahead and place my vote on shanerockes over Ray (AKA Ax), since Ax was lynched early in my last game.

Vote Count

• (1) STINKAraris Valerian
  • (1) AmanuensisFifth Scholar
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard
  • (1) shanerockesAmanuensis,

Right now my instincts are saying the Inquisitor is one of Hael, Doc or STINK. I could see Burnt or Brightness as well. That said, I would rather leave the Inquisitor alone until they get all their conversions off. Discovering their identity early on in the game would make it boring, IMO.

To the Inquisitor, I humbly ask that if I do sacrifice myself (or manage to lynch another Misting), please don't let it be for nothing. While I have stated multiple times that it's in the village's best interest to have you convert people sooner rather than later, I want to point out that it's also better for you to establish a team of at least 2 while the player count is still high, for better coordination and overall blending. Although you are in no way obligated and there are some arguments to be made for saving your conversions, that decision ultimately prolongs what makes these games fun.

Also, for clarification, I am indeed a Soother as Rand had guessed. Since the plan Wilson and I concocted in LG32 is visible in that game's dead doc, I'm not actually banking on pulling off any pseudo-scans. My sole intention of claiming my role is to ensure that I am never converted.

Should a Thug be on the brink of getting lynched, I recommend they inform the thread within the last 6 hours or so of the cycle, that way we have enough time to discuss following through to confirm the claim or finding a proper alternative.

Although it's slightly hypocritical, I also recommend no other role claims publicly. As Hael stated before it can help the Inquisitor narrow down power roles. This includes Vanilla claims.

I also hesitate to make any plans that involve Seekers. With 18 players I'm not very confident one was included. Coinshot is possible, albeit unlikely (Mistborn exceeding the possibility slightly). Lurcher is probably guaranteed. Best case scenario, we preserve the integrity of these roles into the late game. It would probably be best if these roles do not claim to anyone until at least two conversions are made, and with an entire cycle of content to analyze after the fact.

Edited by Amanuensis
Forgot to count this post for me

2 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Because STINK is active in PMs and Brightness hasn't been on the shard since Thursday, I will go ahead and place my vote on shanerockes over Ray (AKA Ax), since Ax was lynched early in my last game.

I can also confirm STINK is active in PMs because we are in one and talking back and forth. Also, since you put a vote on me, I'll put one back. Aman. I'll take it away when you take the vote off me. 

1 minute ago, shanerockes said:

I can also confirm STINK is active in PMs because we are in one and talking back and forth. Also, since you put a vote on me, I'll put one back. Aman. I'll take it away when you take the vote off me. 

That's fair. I hope you understand if self-preservation isn't enough reason for me to back off, though :P what do you think about the rest of my post? Is there anything I said that you personally disagree with, and if so, why? I'm not very familiar with you as a player and would deeply appreciate some insight into your thought processes.

Spoiler
  1. Haelbarde: [1]
  2. Burnt Spaghetti: [1]
  3. Snipexe: [2]
  4. StrikerEZ: [1]
  5. Araris Valerian: [2]
  6. Lumgol: [1]
  7. RayOfSunshine: [0]
  8. shanerockes: [1]
  9. Doc12: [1]
  10. Randuir: [3]
  11. Amanuensis: [7]
  12. BrightnessRadiant: [0]
  13. Fifth Scholar: [3]
  14. Devotary of Spontaneity: [1]
  15. Rathmaskal: [1]
  16. Young Bard: [2]
  17. Sart: [1]
  18. STINK: [0]

Every time I post, I'll make sure to include an up-to-date post count. Also a vote count if it's changed since my previous one.

• (2) AmanuensisFifth Scholarshanerockes
  • (1) STINKAraris Valerian
  • (1) LumgolYoung Bard
  • (1) shanerockesAmanuensis,

9 minutes ago, shanerockes said:

Shanerockes, can you explain the reasoning behind this vote? It seems Aman voted on you merely because of activity, while this revenge vote seems odd at first glance. It seems designed to save your own life and discourage people from voting on you (because if they did, they'd risk being voted on in retaliation), rather than trying to discover information. Though this first cycle is somewhat unusual given the nature of this game, this vote still stands out to me as being seemingly motivated by a very non-village sentiment, being survival at any cost.

edit: ninja'd by Aman.

Edited by Randuir

10 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Right now my instincts are saying the Inquisitor is one of Hael, Doc or STINK. 

The floor was his new friend, the only real constant he had. 

Was there anything else? That would require eyes, which were taken from him.

Where is this going? That would require compass, which he never had.

Why? Why? Why?

6 minutes ago, shanerockes said:

I can also confirm STINK is active in PMs because we are in one and talking back and forth. 

Shanerockes was his new friend, the only real constant he had.

Was there anything else? Many PMs, have not been taken from him.

Where is this going? That would require thought, which he does not have.

Enough? Enough? Enough?