Long Game 58: A Hidden Threat

Straw

47 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

Under Basics in the rules, it says rollover should be 4pm EST, so I'm assuming that is the timezone for the game start also. Plus, Straw only corrected me for the NZT link I gave, not the EST one.

I forgot that that was in the basics section of the rules. Maybe if I’d read through everything I would’ve found it. :P

OK, I think this one is a valid question...  If a MB roles thug and is killed, what happens?

• They don't get any more abilities
  • They can still get abilities, but not thug
  • They can still get abilities, but thug roles as roleless
  • They can still get abilities, and thug roles as thug
  • Something else?

1 hour ago, Rathmaskal said:

OK, I think this one is a valid question...  If a MB roles thug and is killed, what happens?

• They don't get any more abilities
  • They can still get abilities, but not thug
  • They can still get abilities, but thug roles as roleless
  • They can still get abilities, and thug roles as thug
  • Something else?

Option 4. It's the same with coinshot, where they can use the one shot kill again if they get the role again.

Are the Unsnapped informed of the fact that they are Unsnapped?

Beattie Buvidas hated Inquisitors. They went and screwed everything up, making her parents worry so that they'd stay indoors and wouldn't let her go outside to play with all the other kids. Well, Beattie would show them.

If her parents had wanted Beattie to stay indoors, they should have invested in some better window latches. Beattie dragged a chair across the room and up to the window, stood on top of it and reached the top of the latch to flip it unlocked, then heaved the window up and out, and stepped through to the ledge on the other side before her parents could see what she was up to. She shimmied across the outside ledge to a water pipe, then grabbed hold and slowly started lowering herself down, until she was low enough that she could freefall the rest of the way, landing in a pile of raked up leaves. From somewhere behind her, Beattie heard the gardener yell out with a mixture of concern and anger, so she quickly jumped up and ran off into the streets, where she was soon lost to sight.

The chair vanished.

But he landed on a bed, which then disappeared.

But he landed on a beanbag, which then vaporised.

But he landed on a cushion, which then departed.

But he landed on a pillow, which then receded.

But he landed on a wooden floor, which then stayed.

But he got angry at the wooden floor, for it was not soft. In fact, he had never known a soft wooden floor. So it retreated.

But he landed on sandpaper, which then moved.

But he was also not fond of sandpaper, so requested that it be changed. So it faded.

But he landed on normal paper, which then broke.

But he landed on a familiar wooden floor, which then stayed.

But he was grateful now, and thanked the floor for it's radiance. So it did stay for a second line

----------------------------------------------------

Fonar Redacted is still thanking the floor, but would also like to partake in this event.

2 hours ago, RayOfSunshine said:

Just you watch. You're gonna be the inquisitor.

I've planned for that. A slightly creepy little girl that is just slightly off the entire way through? Yeah, that's never been done in a horror movie before... :ph34r:

As a new day began in Luthadel, an Inquisitor set out on a mission. A crew of both noblemen and skaa had been causing a lot of trouble in the city, and Ruin had demanded that they either be killed or turned to his side...

GM Notes:

Welcome to LG58!

A Tineye is alive, so PMs are open! Please add me to all PMs.

The Day lasts 48 hours, so it will end at 4:00 PM EST on June 29th (Monday).

Please tell me if you did not receive a GM PM.

The following players have not given themselves an RP name: Haelbarde, Snipexe,  BrightnessRadiant, and Sart.

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Haelbarde (Spar)

2. Burnt Spaghetti (Opal Ghetti)

3. Snipexe (Cutting Bored)

4. StrikerEZ (Variel)

5. Araris Valerian (Hadrian Penrod)

6. Lumgol (Teraval)

7. Ax's Boyfriend (Voidapple)

8. shanerockes (Bill)

9. Doc12 (Galen Aurette)

10. Randuir (Eliza Deveill)

11. Amanuensis (MaiKaal)

12. BrightnessRadiant (TBA)

13. Fifth Scholar (Lerdar)

14. Devotary of Spontaneity (Nevene)

15. Rathmaskal (Rebelmaskal)

16. Young Bard (Beattie Buvidas)

17. Sart (TBA)

18. STINK (Fonar Redacted)

Edited by Straw

Variel was looking through his closet of suits, each one perfectly cleaned and hung up so that they would not touch any others. He could not have his prized possessions ruined. He picked one out and his servants began to carefully help him get dressed. 

The news of this new Inquisitor’s presence in Luthadel had unsettled him. It reminded him too much of a little secret he’d rather not think about. It had unsettled the balance of the city. It had ruined his plans. 

No matter, he thought to himself, idly rolling a boxing across his knuckles, maybe I can use this to my advantage....

So, this is my first conversion game. I’m not quite sure where we’re even supposed to start today. Should we even lynch anyone? The odds of us finding and lynching the Inquisitor D1 seem very slim to me (it’s a 5.56% chance, actually). I’d rather not lynch a coinshot or Mistborn on accident like the village did in LG56. I guess I’ll wait for others to give their thoughts first. 

Hey all! Excited to get back into a game after a while, and it seems as though this’ll be a lot of fun; LG2 and 32 were great games, and are certainly good reads if you have the time, and can give a general idea of what to expect from this one. The difference will probably end up being size—with only eighteen players, the Inquisitor will have fewer spikes and abilities, which is good news for us in some ways, as there’ll only be three spikes at the most to worry about, but unfortunately it also makes which Spikes the Inquisitor has a lot more vague. We can still speculate, though. Before I do, though, it’s worth mentioning a few things: 

-I’m normally a fierce advocate of roleclaims, even in conversion games, but would advise people to be a little more careful in this game because of the possibility of UberTin spying on your PMs. On that note, again because of UberTin, I’d advise a guarded approach to any PMs you receive, though don’t be paranoid to the point of not using them effectively. I’d not share roles or vital information there that you aren’t comfortable also posting in thread, though. 

-Two quick questions for @Straw: Does the Inquisitor, by himself, have access to the Spiked faction kill? And are conversions publicly announced?

-The Inquisitor has maybe two, but probably three Spikes, if this has been balanced out correctly. Obviously we should assume three to be on the safe side. Regardless, it should be emphasised that the Eliminators have an advantage because it gets easier to reach parity over time, and our reads have to change every time a conversion occurs. That’s why it’s important to find the Inquisitor early, so we can lock the game into a set Elim team, and why we need to start lynching now. 

-I’m in agreement with Aman that we need a lynch today. Even if we don’t have great odds, any delay in lynch discussion in a game this small will cost us dearly. 

-On to speculation about metals: 

UberPewter: I’m almost certain this exists. There’s no way we’ll be able to get a lucky kill or lynch off on the Inquisitor and just end the game. This normally takes the form of two extra lives, though it might have been modified for this smaller playercount (maybe one extra life and one passive defence against a night kill, so we don’t have to spend three lynches getting rid of the Inquisitor). Any player who survives a lynch should be Seeked, and in a reasonable length of time the Seeker themself should probably be Coinshot or lynched to make sure they weren’t just lying.   

UberCopper: Another one I’m relatively sure is a thing. It’d be ridiculous for a scan to show “the Inquisitor,” so I’d expect this role to either portray the Inquisitor as vanilla or as a role of his choosing. Seekers beware with your scan results! 

Getting into more speculation, the Inquisitor has one metal left: 

UberIron: Immunity to night kills/Redirect?

UberSteel: Kill ability, likely only relevant if Inquisitor can’t access faction kill

UberTin: PM spying

UberBrass: Double soothe/roleblock?

UberZinc: Rioting without negating your own vote/redirect?

UberBronze: Coppercloud penetration when Seeking

I find the order of likelihood to be Brass/Zinc/Bronze/Iron/Tin/Steel, though this is obviously all conjecture. I anticipate that this will be the first metal given up, so hopefully we’ll learn about it soon. 

36 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Two quick questions for @Straw: Does the Inquisitor, by himself, have access to the Spiked faction kill? And are conversions publicly announced?

The Inquisitor has access to the kill. Conversions are publicly announced, and the spike used to convert the player will also be announced.

Edited by Straw

• Alvron locked this topic

Eliza strained her ears, trying to overhear a conversation on the other side of the dining hall. A group of the more formidable noblewomen where having a rather animated conversation. It could just be about the dresses worn during last week's ball, but it could also be about something more interesting. She wished she was sitting closer, so she could overhear.

"Lady Deveill, a pleasure to meet you. Though it seems you where mistaken given the direction I would be arriving from." Eliza turned back to her table with a start at the sound of her dinner partner's voice.

"Ah, ehm, I was just trying to overhear what the fuss the ladies over there where making was about. Oh, and it's a pleasure to meet you once again, lord Agenar."

The man smirked as he took his seat. "You where trying to overhear a conversation on the other side of this room, over the din of all the other conversations happening? That'd be quite the feat, especially since I've been given to understand that you are definitely not a tin-eye."

Eliza cursed softly. This'd probably be the start of  another set of rumours about her supposed abilities, just as rumours had started when she arrived in Luthadell with a coin-pouch on her belt, or when she'd been seen practicing basic hand-to-hand combat with her guards. She really wasn't equipped to handle the politics and rumourmill of the big city, but with the recent... shrinking... her family had undergone she'd been forced to move o the city and take up the duties of her house's future leader.

"My lady? I hope I did not give offence with my idle speculation." Her dining partner brought her attention back to the here and now.

"Ah, my apologies. These past weeks have been taxing." She tried to smile. "Directly on to business, or shall we wait for dinner to be served first?"

For those interested, here's the elim doc from LG32. The inquisitors special metals at the time were:

UberPewter: Can survive two kills on me. First kill gives a Thug message. Second reveals me as the Inquisitor.
UberBronze: Can use in two ways. First: Sense a player’s role, even if they are Smoked. Second: Sense more generally what actions were used and how many of them (not including Smoked actions)
UberSteel: Kill a dude. 
UberIron: Redirect an action. 
UberCopper: I will Scan as a Regular Crewmember, but am not protected from Emotional Allomancy.

Uber-Iron in particular is one to keep in mind, as it can be a potential late-game game-changer if a similar ability exists in this game. Coinshots should exercise extreme caution in their PM's.

Anyway, it's late and this post got eaten once already, so I'll check back in tomorrow with some more in-depth thoughts.

Edited by Randuir

I would really like to play this game (and specifically, do so while remaining village), but since it would be hypocritical of myself to ask we lynch a misting today while being a misting myself, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that fact now. Our ideal situation today would be to lynch an inactive misting, but I am willing to make that sacrifice if it helps the village get closer to winning.

Edited by Amanuensis
Edited last sentence for clarity

28 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I would really like to play this game (and specifically, do so while remaining village), but since it would be hypocritical of myself to ask we lynch a misting today while being a misting myself, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that fact now. Our ideal situation today would be to lynch an inactive misting, but I am willing to make that sacrifice if it helps the village get closer to winning.

That's... a bold claim to make early in the game - I think I'm inclined to believe you, though, since as the Inquisitor it would draw way too much attention onto you and as someone trying to get converted it's still much less subtle than your usual style. But then, me clearing you too easily could just mean the Inquisitor will see you as an easy convert, so I'd like to hear as many of your thoughts about the game and its players this cycle to see if any of them change in the next few cycles to come, and how.

EDIT: And I'm fine lynching an inactive this cycle - my main concern is that it can stifle discussion, but I'll do my best to call out anyone who seems to just be bandwagonning onto an inactive, and I encourage others to do the same.

Edited by Young Bard

Sorry about the lack of an rp character, I’ll remedy that as soon as I think of a good one. I just got off a plane, so doing a read of the thread now, hopefully thoughts plus a character soon

Edited by Snipexe
Added the word thread

19 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

That's... a bold claim to make early in the game - I think I'm inclined to believe you, though, since as the Inquisitor it would draw way too much attention onto you and as someone trying to get converted it's still much less subtle than your usual style. But then, me clearing you too easily could just mean the Inquisitor will see you as an easy convert, so I'd like to hear as many of your thoughts about the game and its players this cycle to see if any of them change in the next few cycles to come, and how.

EDIT: And I'm fine lynching an inactive this cycle - my main concern is that it can stifle discussion, but I'll do my best to call out anyone who seems to just be bandwagonning onto an inactive, and I encourage others to do the same.

I will be able to prove my role consistently so in the event I am ever converted, I will no longer have my role. So if I stop using my ability just lynch or night kill me immediately.

I do not want to be converted. And preferably I would ask the Inquisitor and his future converts to spare me until N4 the earliest. On N1 of LG32 I issued a challenge to the Inquisitor then, and that challenge stands now.

I would find the post but I'm mobile rn.