Long Game 58: A Hidden Threat

Straw

Another deathless night...and no conversion.  Interesting.  I'm mildly surprised that the Inquisitor prioritized an attack over a conversion.  I guess there's also the possibility of an inactive Inquisitor with a coinshot taking a shot at someone, although I'd think that's moderately less likely.

So, what does this gain us?  I'm hoping the seeker is spamming that ability with the hopes that the Inquisitor shows up somehow.

I had started typing up a response to Araris's call to either shoot or seek me, but got called away from my desk for a few hours...so thank you for not shooting me.

Part of that response was going to be as follows:

Well, I was going to try to tip my hat for voting on Rand D2, but then I realized two things.  First, my analysis that had Rand in the elim camp was based mostly on D1/N1...when Rand was village...  The next thing I noticed was that my vote didn't show up on the vote count Straw posted...so, either that was a miscount, or I was soothed off.  @Straw, could you verify if that count was correct?

Other than that, Burnt.  I'm not expecting this was a WGG...less likely than Fifth's survival was for sure.  I'm thinking it's moderately likely that Burnt has pewter and is now vulnerable though.  I'm curious what has happened in PMs that may have prompted this.  @Burnt Spaghetti, I haven't heard from you in PM in a while, any chance you want to either post here or PM what you think may have prompted the attack?

The Lurcher is everywhere...and nowhere :ph34r: (seriously whoever it is deserves mad credit for their guessing skills, unless Burnt was a Thug)

I’m inclined to think Burnt’s survival was very natural; the Inquisitor frankly has no time to waste on WGGs right now. Of more interest is the disappearance of one of the Tineye messages. They can’t have been converted, but their silence is still sad; after taking a quick glance through all the profiles of people playing, everyone should have been on to submit an action last night. We need the Tineyes to keep contributing, to maintain them as “landmines,” as someone put it earlier (who I am too lazy to look up). With no Mistborn counterclaim by now either, I’m assuming the third Tineye message N1 was Mistborn!Rand who promptly got converted. Oops. 

Onto analysis! For some reason or another (being attacked) I am hereby clearing this chunk of players: 

Fifth Scholar

Burnt Spaghetti

I trust the following players reasonably well: 

Devotary of Spontaneity

Araris Valerian

Rathmaskal (speaking of which)

7 minutes ago, Rathmaskal said:

Another deathless night...and no conversion.  Interesting.  I'm mildly surprised that the Inquisitor prioritized an attack over a conversion.  I guess there's also the possibility of an inactive Inquisitor with a coinshot taking a shot at someone, although I'd think that's moderately less likely.

The Inquisitor had no dead Misting to convert with, and thus couldn’t. 

Haelbarde

The following players need to produce more content, but I am dismissing them for now:

Ark

Shanerockes

Sart

STINK

Snipexe

That leaves my suspects as 

Young Bard

Doc12

Lumgol

Which I feel fits reasonably into my gut feelings about the three of these, and also the playstyle I’d expect the Inquisitor to use. I’ll look at each of these three later and then cast a real vote, but my preference is for Doc to be lynched right now. 

@Fifth Scholar, not that I'm complaining, but you left me off the list. :P

I definitely agree, though. Without the ability to convert, the attempted kill on Burnt was likely from the Inquisitor, and highly unlikely to be a WGG. That would just be a waste of turns. I'm willing to clear for now, but once a conversion happens, then probably would like a scan on her just in case.

I'm going to go ahead and vote where my suspicions were listed last night. Lumgol

40 minutes ago, Rathmaskal said:

Well, I was going to try to tip my hat for voting on Rand D2, but then I realized two things.  First, my analysis that had Rand in the elim camp was based mostly on D1/N1...when Rand was village...  The next thing I noticed was that my vote didn't show up on the vote count Straw posted...so, either that was a miscount, or I was soothed off.  @Straw, could you verify if that count was correct?

It looks like I forgot your vote on Randuir. Vote manipulation only changes the vote value, so if your name does not appear, or appears in the wrong place, then I made a mistake.

Hmm. One of these days some eliminator is going to post something suggesting they don't understand their own roles, and I'm going to read them as village. But for now, I guess Rath is going to move down from my suspicion list. @Fifth Scholar, did you have any other reasons for putting Rath in your "reasonable trust" group?

I suppose I'd prefer a lynch on either Lumgol or Doc, since I doubt Rand would have put the Inquisitor as his single Village read (Bard). Maybe we could do a tie and lynch both of them? 

Of the really low actives, I'd probably go after Ray for his vanilla claim, which would match a Seeker scan if the Inquisitor has UberCopper.

35 minutes ago, Elandera said:

I definitely agree, though. Without the ability to convert, the attempted kill on Burnt was likely from the Inquisitor, and highly unlikely to be a WGG. That would just be a waste of turns. I'm willing to clear for now, but once a conversion happens, then probably would like a scan on her just in case.

I'm going to go ahead and vote where my suspicions were listed last night. Lumgol

Oops. I blame BR’s name being crossed out on the player list. :P I’d throw you in the suspect pool, but beneath the other three by a significant margin. Mostly the transition from BR to you is making it difficult to get a consistent read, so I’m unwilling to eliminate you. 

26 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Hmm. One of these days some eliminator is going to post something suggesting they don't understand their own roles, and I'm going to read them as village. But for now, I guess Rath is going to move down from my suspicion list. @Fifth Scholar, did you have any other reasons for putting Rath in your "reasonable trust" group?

I suppose I'd prefer a lynch on either Lumgol or Doc, since I doubt Rand would have put the Inquisitor as his single Village read (Bard). Maybe we could do a tie and lynch both of them? 

Of the really low actives, I'd probably go after Ray for his vanilla claim, which would match a Seeker scan if the Inquisitor has UberCopper.

Rath’s status as the person who cemented the Randwagon at the end of D2, as well as just a generally good read I’ve gotten from his posts, is making me trust him. It’s a strangely nice feeling, as my normal reaction is “KILL HIM WITH FIRE,” which is unhelpful but might actually make me feel a bit better about my perception simply because it’s normal :P Maybe I should take a closer look, I dunno. 

That’s a fair point on Bard—I’ve not gotten through my analysis thanks to the QF but I’ll consider that when I do. I’d rather not intentionally tie the lynch, simply because I don’t trust vote manipulators, but would be fine letting the chips fall where they may, and if it’s a tie then so be it. This lynch ought to be a bit closer than the last one, though. :P 

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

I doubt Lumgol is the Inquisitor. My reasoning comes from this post of Randuir's:

That's the thing though. I don't really have any solid suspicions, at least not ones that are more solid than why i initially voted for Shanerockes. I'm considering moving to either Lumgol or Striker, but I'd like to see if they have any responses.

Thus, I think Lumgol is a waste of a lynch.

2 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Really, you're voting on Doc? The same Doc who voted on Randuir Day 2? The same Doc who revealed to the thread the Seeker's result? That's who you've decided is suspicious? I highly doubt the case against them.

My best guess for the Inquisitor is Devotary of Spontaneity. They are the only other player, besides Randuir, to vote on Striker but not vote on Randuir. In addition, they posted this once Randuir revealed.

And now we have Randuir claiming Mistborn, which is unlikely to get a counterclaim in the next half-hour. Inquisitor!Rand probably could have gotten out of the lynch without claiming anything especially if their team has vote manipulation. That does leave the question of who a different lynch would be. I don't believe Araris is the Inquisitor, though I could see him doing something like pushing the lynch towards a three way tie last cycle if he were. Striker in his only elim game, did have a tendency to be very protective and make unexplained votes in order to counter a lynch on a teammate, and as Araris says the most likely candidates for that would be Rand and Bard. I'm also somewhat concerned by how easily votes have been slipping off the latter, so I will put my vote on Bard. I don't like how close this is coming to a tied lynch though.

That seems especially suspicious in hindsight, given that we know Randuir was not a Mistborn but rather a Spiked.

1 minute ago, Sart said:

Really, you're voting on Doc? The same Doc who voted on Randuir Day 2? The same Doc who revealed to the thread the Seeker's result? That's who you've decided is suspicious? I highly doubt the case against them.

That seems especially suspicious in hindsight, given that we know Randuir was not a Mistborn but rather a Spiked.

Doc revealing the seeker result is not relevant. If he didn't reveal it, who ever sent it to doc would know that he hadn't done so. Same if he changed the result. Makes it a bad idea to not reveal even if he were the inquisitor.

We don't know that Rand wasn't the Mistborn - you lose your role when spiked, with only a chance of getting a new one.

28 minutes ago, Sart said:

Thus, I think Lumgol is a waste of a lynch.

I see this as more reason to lynch Lumgol. While he cast suspicion on her, he never actually placed a vote on those. That can be a common distancing tactic. And with Randuir specifically, I'm trying not to let his reads influence my reads. He's been good at distancing in the past (again, see the Princess Bride game).

44 minutes ago, Sart said:

My best guess for the Inquisitor is [Devotary of Spontaneity]. They are the only other player, besides Randuir, to vote on Striker but not vote on Randuir. In addition, they posted this once Randuir revealed.

I believed Randuir's Mistborn claim, as did everyone else at the time. I did not expect him to be pulling a gambit that would guarantee his lynch D3 when the lynch was still subject to change.

@Doc12, to confirm, did Randuir claim Mistborn to you before or after Rath switched his vote over to Rand? Was this the time that you(according to Fifth) claimed roleless to Randuir? And why did you want someone to Seek you if it likely wouldn't provide any useful information?

11 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I believed Randuir's Mistborn claim, as did everyone else at the time. I did not expect him to be pulling a gambit that would guarantee his lynch D3 when the lynch was still subject to change.

@Doc12, to confirm, did Randuir claim Mistborn to you before or after Rath switched his vote over to Rand? Was this the time that you(according to Fifth) claimed roleless to Randuir? And why did you want someone to Seek you if it likely wouldn't provide any useful information?

Looking back, Rand claimed Mistborn to me about a couple of hours before he actually revealed it in thread, and before the Rath vote, why? 

Also, that was me making a blunder. The PM I got revealing Rand said "spiked vanilla convert", and I 1) thought that the scan revealed Rand's alignment and 2) forgot that the inquisitor might appear to be vanilla, making a Seek on me useless. I have already been informed of how dumb I was :P 

34 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

Looking back, Rand claimed Mistborn to me about a couple of hours before he actually revealed it in thread, and before the Rath vote, why? 

At the end of D2, you said Rand claimed to you 30 minutes previously while Rath switched his vote 42 minutes prior, which I thought might have been overlapping time frames. This is important because Spiked!Randuir would not have wanted to claim Mistborn if it wasn't an emergency. Before Rath's vote switch, there was no particular reason to worry. Your vote tied it up 2-2 between Bard and Rand, with singular votes on three other people, which needn't have resulted in a Randuir lynch. Randuir claiming a role that 1.) he couldn't prove and 2.) might make him a good Seeker target seems unnecessarily risky in this scenario, even if he only told one person.

I've been a bit suspicious of Doc for this post:

So, vote tallies from that cycle.

Vote Tally Until Doc's Vote
Bard (2): Stink{1}, Araris{1}, Rath, Araris{3}
Shane (1): Rand
Devotary (0): Araris{2}
Araris (1): Sart
Hael (1): Bard
Rand (2): Fifth, Doc

This vote is made here. It was made 3 hours 45 minutes before end of cycle. This would be around 12:15 a.m his time.

Vote Tally when Rand claims Mistborn
Bard (1): Stink{1}, Araris{1}, Rath{1}, Araris{3}
Shane (0): Rand{1}
Araris (2): Sart, Striker
Rand (3): Fifth, Doc, Rath{2}
Fifth (1): Snipexe
Striker (1): Rand{2}

This happened 40 minutes before end of cycle.

Vote Tally at end of cycle

Bard (1): Stink{1}, Araris{1}, Rath{1}, Araris{3}, Devotary{1}, Doc{2}
Shane (0): Rand{1}
Araris (2): Sart, Striker
Rand (1): Fifth{1}, Doc{1}, Rath{2}
Fifth (1): Snipexe
Striker (4): Rand{2}, Fifth{2}, Doc{3}, Devotary{2}

It's worth noting that Rath's vote on Rand was most likely soothed, as it did not appear in the official vote tally.

Now, back to that post of Doc's. It's where he retracts his vote on Rand. He retracts simultaneously with Fifth (both posted 12 minutes prior to end of cycle). But what I'm suspicious of is why Rand claimed to Doc, and why Doc was even online. 

In the post, Doc claims that Rand claimed to him in a PM at 3 a.m. his local time, an hour before the end of cycle. Why I make a point of the timing is posting after 12am local time, that's reasonable. Closer to 3am though is much more likely to be out of the norm. Particularly given that Doc said he was going on a date that day and being well rested would probably be a good idea. Him being on to keep an eye on thread in case people decided to actually double down on Rand and be able to balance the votes again would help explain being up relatively late after he'd already signed off with his initial vote. He explains being awake to post on Rand claiming, but that still requires him to be awake 3 hours after his last post to even receive that email, so doesn't seem like a great excuse to still be online.

1 hour ago, Doc12 said:

Rand claimed Mistborn to me about a couple of hours before he actually revealed it in thread

That's not what you said at the time. Based on the times you said in your post, he claimed in thread 20 minutes after allegedly claiming to you in a PM.

Anyways, for the moment, I'm suspicious enough of Doc to add a vote on him.

If it satisfies you guys, Doc  

I'm only putting up a token effort at defending myself because life before death and all :P I want to die so I don't have to put in so much work on this game, but at the same time felt that I as a villager should remain here participating as long as I can. Oh well. I recognize that I have made mistakes, and those mistakes can look fishy to suspicious eyes. frankly, I'm a little annoyed at Hael questioning why I was up so late. Yes, I had a date in the morning, yes, I should have been asleep. I was up til two not being on the shard, and I checked the thread before I was going to sleep to see if there were any updates. Rand claimed mistborn to me around 1 am, but I didn't see it til I checked the shard, which was why I said i only learned about this half an hour ago. I threw up a retraction post, voting Bard out of necessity, which I didn't want to do because I knew Bard was asleep, saw that Fifth posted in the time I was making that post, and changed my vote after that. 

I'm tired of playing badly and just being seen as suspicious because of that. Maybe before the cycle ends I'll still be able to do a readthrough the backlog and actually say who I think is suspicious before I die, but it'll honestly be a relief not to have to do that anymore. So lynch me, and be satisfied. At least there won't be a misting lynch for the Inquisitor to use. 

I'm not a good player, guys. I kind of regret coming back. 

Wow everything seems to want me dead all at once. Within a period of 12 hours i get injured irl, killed in the qf and attacked in this? :P
 i am amused

Hm. Now why would i be attacked. I dont post much in thread so it would quite likely be due to a pm interaction. Now while i have quite a number of pms open theres only a small handful of people i actively talk to. And haels description of me being a pm spider has certainly been true. Ive had a number of people confide in me and give me information about others. Ive also been nosy and tried baiting info out of some others. Ive also refused to tell anyone my own role, which may have lead to people assuming I must have a role worth hiding. So i can see multiple reasons for someone in my core pm group to kill me (potential role, info hub, info baiting/probing questions).

I would also like to thank the person who gave me protection. No im not a thug. 

So. I feel like someone ive pmed may have been the one targetting me but right now i do not have a clue as to who

Believe it or not, while i wholeheartedly agree docs acted suspicoously a lot (i mean in my pms with him over the night there was banter involving accusing him of being evil and then i got attacked, i have plenty of reason to believe hes evil) but i actually somewhat believe hes just a vanilla villager?  I dunno i may comment later on my thoughts cause for now im doing a lot of reviewing. 

@Doc12 sorry you feel that way. If it helps, I don't think you need to read through the entire backlog. Just look at what Randuir posted after N1, since he hopefully left some clues about his recruiter. Also, if you do end up lynched this cycle, know that murder is the highest sign of respect in SE :P.

Edit: Some suspect lists:
From D2:

Spoiler
  1. shanerockes (Bill)
  2. Randuir (Eliza Deveill)
  3. Devotary of Spontaneity (Nevene)
  4. Rathmaskal (Rebelmaskal)
  5. Young Bard (Beattie Buvidas)
  6. Sart (TBA)
  7. STINK (Fonar Redacted)

From N3:

Spoiler
  1. Burnt
  2. Snipexe
  3. Doc
  4. Rath

From Elandera N3:

Spoiler

Top suspicions:
Lumgol
Devotary

Mild elim reads:
Snipexe
Fifth Scholar

Fifth's list this cycle:

Spoiler
  1. Bard
  2. Doc
  3. Lumgol

Hmm. I don't think a really agree with a Lumgol lynch in fact, unless someone provides a convincing argument. Maybe Snipexe could be an alternative to Doc. 

Also, could somebody @mention everyone who hasn't posted this cycle? I type a couple and then it stops working for some reason. 

Edited by Araris Valerian
Adding Elandera's N3 List

People who have yet to post this turn: @Snipexe, @Lumgol, @RayOfSunshine, @shanerockes, @Young Bard, @STINK

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Maybe Snipexe could be an alternative to Doc.

Why Snipexe? I'm definitely open to an alternative lynch, especially if it means not killing Doc.

12 hours ago, Doc12 said:

I'm tired of playing badly and just being seen as suspicious because of that.

I get this. I feel it in my soul. :P You're not a bad player Doc.

Speaking of which, I still don't see the suspicion on him. My read through the early cycles had me putting him in the village category. Timing for posts is not a reason to me, as I've frequently gotten on when I should be sleeping because I'm awake due to RL things.

Edited by Elandera
Typing is problematic.

Snipexe came up during my cursory read of Randuir's analysis post. I picked out the people Randuir read as Neutral, but didn't dismiss for inactivity, which is the list from N3 in my above post.

Doc is also on that list, and I voted for him because he's on Fifth's list as well. My vote isn't really based on anything that Doc has actually done, it's based on my analysis of Randuir.

Postwise I don't really like any of the current lynchees I guess, case for either of them doesn't look that strong from what I can see.

Also y'all stopped PMing me which was like cmon I know I don't do the whole scheming game talk thing that much but no one even tried :P

So at this point it feels like things are kind of dead in the water. We’ve sort of hit a wall, thanks in part to the lack of conversions/elim kills (Seeing as they provide information). As such, I’m willing to be a lynch this cycle so as to both clear me out of suspicions, and create the ability for there to be another conversion (I’m a misting).

9 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

So at this point it feels like things are kind of dead in the water. We’ve sort of hit a wall, thanks in part to the lack of conversions/elim kills (Seeing as they provide information). As such, I’m willing to be a lynch this cycle so as to both clear me out of suspicions, and create the ability for there to be another conversion (I’m a misting).

I'm pretty sure things are only dead in the water because several players aren't participating very much. I feel like we have a decent amount of information, having lynched Rand. I posted 4 different lists of 3 players' suspicions, so that alone should be enough for everyone to place a vote. We already gave the Inquisitor a helping hand D1, and there's no reason to do so again.

19 hours ago, Doc12 said:

If it satisfies you guys, Doc  

I'm only putting up a token effort at defending myself because life before death and all :P I want to die so I don't have to put in so much work on this game, but at the same time felt that I as a villager should remain here participating as long as I can. Oh well. I recognize that I have made mistakes, and those mistakes can look fishy to suspicious eyes. frankly, I'm a little annoyed at Hael questioning why I was up so late. Yes, I had a date in the morning, yes, I should have been asleep. I was up til two not being on the shard, and I checked the thread before I was going to sleep to see if there were any updates. Rand claimed mistborn to me around 1 am, but I didn't see it til I checked the shard, which was why I said i only learned about this half an hour ago. I threw up a retraction post, voting Bard out of necessity, which I didn't want to do because I knew Bard was asleep, saw that Fifth posted in the time I was making that post, and changed my vote after that. 

I'm tired of playing badly and just being seen as suspicious because of that. Maybe before the cycle ends I'll still be able to do a readthrough the backlog and actually say who I think is suspicious before I die, but it'll honestly be a relief not to have to do that anymore. So lynch me, and be satisfied. At least there won't be a misting lynch for the Inquisitor to use. 

I'm not a good player, guys. I kind of regret coming back. 

First of all, I’m sorry if my suspicions have caused or contributed towards this fatalistic attitude—this post disconcerts me, as I’ve tried to be honest about my suspicions on you and work them out, and didn’t intend to make the game unfun or stressful to the point where you don’t feel like playing anymore. Also, as Elandera said, you’re not a bad player, and even if you were that’s not an excuse to kill you or not have you around. If people judged by success in finding Eliminators, I’d have been laughed out of the community after AG4. We don’t do things that way here, and I am deeply sorry that you regret coming back to the community. 

With that said, I’d appreciate it if you could shed a little more light on your PM with Rand; specifically, do you know why, as a Spiked convert, he would contact you with the false claim two hours before rollover, thereby locking him into it at a later date? And do you have any idea why he would PM you over another player, and to the exclusion of everyone else in the game, when your sleep schedule and time zone made it unlikely that you’d see the PM to begin with? 

3 hours ago, Snipexe said:

I would rather you...not do this, though I’ll go ahead and cast a preemptive vote for Snipexe to be Seeked tonight, as making this claim and relying on the fact that we wouldn’t lynch him is a viable Inquisitor move. (By the way, do we know of any Seeker results last night? I know the Coinshots are still saving their kills for something, but the Seeker now has two results that we don’t know about, though they’d presumably not sit on anything suspicious.)

17 hours ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Believe it or not, while i wholeheartedly agree docs acted suspicoously a lot (i mean in my pms with him over the night there was banter involving accusing him of being evil and then i got attacked, i have plenty of reason to believe hes evil) but i actually somewhat believe hes just a vanilla villager?  I dunno i may comment later on my thoughts cause for now im doing a lot of reviewing. 

I’m getting this same conflicted feeling about Doc, but ultimately his lynch will probably be the most informative for the village and allow us to move on; additionally, ignoring the uncertain emotional reads I’m getting from his posts, the logical side of me currently favours him. 

OK, I only got through one Iso...and I didn't grab quotes, sorry...but I started with Hael since I don't think we've been in a game together.
D1:
First post discusses some mechanics from prior runs of this game, mainly focusing on how uber metals were distributed.  A bit of commentary on Aman's early role claim.  I'd say this is mostly NAI, but I know a lot of people tend to consider game mechanic discussion to be a slight elim read.

Second post mentions wanting to keep Aman alive partly due to activity since there wasn't really any actual suspicion...other than Aman being Aman.  Also mentions Fifth, Brightness, Rand, and Devotary as 'in a similar position' - assuming this is referring to activity level.  Vote on Sart

Third post clarifies not keeping people around JUST for the sake of activity.  Also removes vote from Sart.

Fourth post has kind of an odd tone, "Alright, if I had to put my vote anywhere..." implies that someone is forcing Hael into a vote?  Notes 'feeling bad' about locking in two votes.

Fifth post is some mechanics clarification on conversions.

N1:
First post telling Ark not to roleclaim.  RIP Aman.  More mechanic clarification

D2:
First post clarifies about vote on Lum early D1.  Says it was due to low activity compared to other lynch candidates, not due to reading Lum's post as 'spikes' instead of 'lives'.

Second post corrects my comment about the 164123-way tie vote being interesting because no one had two votes.  Also cautions sharing too much information and notes that the lower activity since Aman died was reason enough to keep him alive.

N2:
No activity

D3:
First post is asking to see some people who posted early in the game, but not since.

Second post has a vote on Ark and calls on Burnt to post more instead of just living in PMs.

Third post moves vote to Rand after Rand was seeked as elim.

N3:
No activity

D4:
First post notes that Doc can't be cleared for revealing seeker results and that Rand could still have been mistborn.

Second post has some vote counts from D2.  Notes the similarities in timing for Fifth and Doc pulling votes off Rand.  Notes the timing of Doc's post as a reason to be suspicious of Doc.  Votes on Doc

In a normal game, I'd definitely be reading Hael as slight elim.  That's kind of an odd concept with the numbers at 13-1 right now.  The specific items I'm finding slightly suspicious:

D1 focuses a lot on mechanics, which is fine, but then puts a read down as if there's a lot of pressure to do so.  Seems odd reading back through that section of the thread.

D2 post clarifying vote on Lum.  Araris had only called out Bard's vote, but Hael seemed to feel it necessary to defend the vote anyway.

D4 case on Doc seems really contrived as well.

Anyway, that's what I've got tonight.