Long Game 58: A Hidden Threat

Straw

Woo hoo! With 2 elims, we can get back to our regular scheduled consensual murders! I'm going to vote on Bard, for his vote on Lumgol last cycle:

Hmmm... Lumgol. I tend to find that Eliminators undersell their own sides abilities (probably from an internalised sense of their own side being the underdog) - 2 spikes means just one convert and then one additional convert from suicide, which seems highly unlikely. Plus, something feels slightly off about it as a gut read.

This seems like a blatant misinterpretation of Lumgol's post, which was about the number of lives the Inquisitor has, not the number of spikes. Also, STINK posted as I was typing this, but I think my point is worthwhile enough for a second vote on Bard.

1 hour ago, STINK said:

Bard

Care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, Araris Valerian said:

Woo hoo! With 2 elims, we can get back to our regular scheduled consensual murders! I'm going to vote on Bard, for his vote on Lumgol last cycle:

This seems like a blatant misinterpretation of Lumgol's post, which was about the number of lives the Inquisitor has, not the number of spikes. Also, STINK posted as I was typing this, but I think my point is worthwhile enough for a second vote on Bard.

I... hmmm... *blinks*... I could have sworn that's not what that post said - that was just a blatant misreading. I like to think that if I were the Inquisitor, I'd do a slightly better job of framing someone than straight up fabricating what someone said in the thread, where it could be easily refuted. :P I'm curious to hear why you and Hael bandwagonned onto that vote without challenging me last cycle, though.

I should probably get my eyes checked, though, that's really weird. I was pretty tired when I read through the first day the first time, so maybe I should do a reread when I'm actually awake so I don't do a goof like that again. Sorry, Lum.

4 minutes ago, Young Bard said:

I... hmmm... *blinks*... I could have sworn that's not what that post said - that was just a blatant misreading. I like to think that if I were the Inquisitor, I'd do a slightly better job of framing someone than straight up fabricating what someone said in the thread, where it could be easily refuted. :P I'm curious to hear why you and Hael bandwagonned onto that vote without challenging me last cycle, though.

I switched to Lumgol because I felt uncomfortable about the lynch last cycle, but didn't know what to do with it. Lumgol was the next closest in line after Fifth and Aman. I didn't really pay attention to your reason for voting back then, since most D1 reasons are sketchy at best.

I don't think you were framing Lum, I think you were skimming looking for someone to vote on, and saw something easy. While that's not necessarily an elim tell, it lines up with how I might act if I were the Inquisitor.

Huh. I didn't notice Lum had said lives either. My vote was also due to being comparatively low activity - only 1 post up to that point and I didn't care for either of the other lynch candidates.

I will point out though that everyone else had been talking about the number of spikes, not lives, and that Lum says that they agree with fifth. Looking at what fifth said, fifth said 2-3 spikes. So really, if anything, fifth was underplaying the Inquisitor more, only they were actually talking which is more valuable.

I need to think...

16 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

I need to think...

Same. Opened at work and I'm too tired to process anything. Hopefully I can post later tonight, but I'm gonna nap. Be back later. I've been reading everyone's responses but can't think to say anything myself. xD I'm sure my thoughts will come back after some sleep.

29 minutes ago, Haelbarde said:

Huh. I didn't notice Lum had said lives either. My vote was also due to being comparatively low activity - only 1 post up to that point and I didn't care for either of the other lynch candidates.

I will point out though that everyone else had been talking about the number of spikes, not lives, and that Lum says that they agree with fifth. Looking at what fifth said, fifth said 2-3 spikes. So really, if anything, fifth was underplaying the Inquisitor more, only they were actually talking which is more valuable.

I need to think...

To clarify, I had forgotten/not realised that giving up all their spikes would mean death for the Inquisitor, and so was operating under the assumption of a three to four man team. Thus, two or three conversions + Inquisitor = three to four man elim team, which I judged to be fair at the time. 

I feel like Inquisitor!Bard would have been more careful about the whole Lum thing, though my perception of him may be coloured by the amount we’re agreeing; we agree[d] on Devotary, we have a similar shortlist for Inquisitor, etc. One thing I don’t agree with is the suspicion of Hael, as I don’t think his defence of Aman last cycle was particularly noteworthy. I’m looking harder into Rand, Snipexe, and maybe Araris as Inquisitors, and after some analysis my vote will probably fall somewhere thereabouts. 

Bard.

Where's the activity y'all, I go to sleep and I wake up to like 3 posts from prime America time :P

I mean I ain't put the attention in to start an initiative on anyone else rn (also just woke up so can barely remember woop woop) but like come on now y'all

I can see, somewhat, why people are voting bard currently, but I can't find the motive here. Bard wasn't at risk from the lynch at the time, and since there was just the inquisitor in C1 he'd have had no reason to take a risks like that to save anyone else. Unless someone has reason to believe that bard knew something about Lumgol's role, I don't really see Bard's vote on Lumgol as being alignment indicative. If anything, its a bit too risky for the elim, though that way lies the IKYK rabbit-hole.

Regarding Fifth underselling the potential elim's power, it could be a tell, but the way he seemed to be gearing up for a sacrificial play at the end of C1 just doesn't make sense if he was the inquisitor.

I think I'm going to put a vote on Shanerockes for now. @shanerockes, Shanerockes, your only real activity so far has been to fend off a vote on you by Aman, after which you quietly faded into the background again. Since voting apparently works to get you to say something, is there anything you want to add to the game so far. Anyone stand out to you in a good or bad way? If you were the inqusitor, what kind of recruitment strategy would you use?

1 hour ago, Randuir said:

I can see, somewhat, why people are voting bard currently, but I can't find the motive here. Bard wasn't at risk from the lynch at the time, and since there was just the inquisitor in C1 he'd have had no reason to take a risks like that to save anyone else. Unless someone has reason to believe that bard knew something about Lumgol's role, I don't really see Bard's vote on Lumgol as being alignment indicative. If anything, its a bit too risky for the elim, though that way lies the IKYK rabbit-hole.

By the way, I'm the only person voting Bard. So far as I can tell, Bard didn't take any risks to save anyone. My point is that it appears he was rushed when deciding who to vote on, which reads slightly elim to me. In general, villagers aren't under pressure to do anything, while elims are under pressure to hide. Thus, barring IRL stuff, I'd say a rushed action reads more elim than village. There isn't really anything more to my vote than that, and we should probably discuss some other possibilities for the lynch.

We're something like 3/8 of the way through the cycle, and a grand total of 3 votes have been placed, one of which was retracted. That's not really great. Just statistically, I'm probably wrong about Bard, and I'd like to analyze some other people's suspicions rather than argue back and forth about mine.

Edit: While I'm waiting to hear from everyone else, I'll give my thoughts on the conversion. I'd probably take 3 things into consideration as the Inquisitor:

1. Recent enjoyable PM or doc interactions with a player
  2. Current suspicion against players mentioned in the thread
  3. The possibility to engage a less active/newer member of the community

Roles don't matter too much, and my approach to PMs means I'd be shooting blind on that front anyways.

Edited by Araris Valerian
new things to say

I've looked back over The previous cycle, specifically checking for people that overall seemed mostly disengaged from the discussion, or at least seemed to be fairly low-profile. In addition to shanerockes, @Snipexe also seemed to mostly stay away from the discussion. Devotary was involved somewhat in the discussion, but on closer inspection they seemed to be hesitant to commit. Her posts mostly feel like she's providing commentary on what was happening, rather than being actively engaged and trying to steer things in one direction or another. The impression I got was that she was actually fine with Aman's sacrifice, but didn't want to outright state that. Maybe that's my tired head just over-analyzing stuff though. @Devotary of Spontaneity, you mentioned before that after a smiting died the inquisitor would be fair game. well, a misting has died, and the inquisitor got a conversion, so maybe join the hunt? :P 

5 hours ago, Randuir said:

I think I'm going to put a vote on Shanerockes for now. @shanerockes, Shanerockes, your only real activity so far has been to fend off a vote on you by Aman, after which you quietly faded into the background again. Since voting apparently works to get you to say something, is there anything you want to add to the game so far. Anyone stand out to you in a good or bad way? If you were the inqusitor, what kind of recruitment strategy would you use?

No one really stands out to me. Just reading everyone's posts, I don't detect anything really off to me. I also believe that if I were the inquisitor, I would find out more information on players and what roles they have to try to get the ones that would hinder my progress the most and wait for numbers to dwindle down slowly. I don't really have a lot to say otherwise.

42 minutes ago, Randuir said:

Devotary was involved somewhat in the discussion, but on closer inspection they seemed to be hesitant to commit. Her posts mostly feel like she's providing commentary on what was happening, rather than being actively engaged and trying to steer things in one direction or another. The impression I got was that she was actually fine with Aman's sacrifice, but didn't want to outright state that. Maybe that's my tired head just over-analyzing stuff though. [Devotary], you mentioned before that after a smiting died the inquisitor would be fair game. well, a misting has died, and the inquisitor got a conversion, so maybe join the hunt? 

Objective one was to lynch a misting to progress the game, and Aman was the only one who volunteered to be that sacrifice. Objective two was to get a tied lynch so we would accomplish something other than killing a misting. That didn't end up happening because I forgot to look up Straw's policy on uncoloured votes and wasn't willing to risk having a lynch where only Lumgol or Fifth died. I wouldn't say it's impossible for Inquisitor!Fifth to have potentially(though not actually) tied the lynch ~15 minutes before rollover counting on public sentiment that tied lynches are bad to save him, but that would be a risky gambit for an Inquisitor.

The main thing I'm looking at for potentially being the Inquisitor is overly self-protective, but there hasn't been too much of that. We had shane and BR object to votes to the point of specifically asking the voter to retract, and Lum's vote that may have been partially in self-defense, but I'm not ready to vote for that at this point. Other than that, the Inquisitor likely would have approved of Aman's lynch and the prospect of a tie between Aman and another villager, but I'm not sure how much they would have expressed that view.

@Fifth Scholar, I had a blue word in my post N1 because I was testing out bbc code to make sure it still worked for me.

@shanerockes It doesn't matter too much who you are suspicious of. Just pick somebody random and vote for them, and that will be better than doing nothing (you could even vote for me or Randuir for being annoying :P) . People have to feel like they are under threat of getting lynched, or they won't give anything away about their alignment. You can't worry about lynching a villager, not this early in the game. If 3-4 people are worried about getting lynched each cycle, then odds are one of those players will be an elim after a few cycles. If only 1-2 are, like this day cycle, then we could be doomed.

I'm also going to switch my vote from Bard to Devotary. @Devotary of Spontaneity, the cycle is nearly half over. Wait any longer to vote and there won't be any discussion.

16 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

That didn't end up happening because I forgot to look up Straw's policy on uncoloured votes and wasn't willing to risk having a lynch where only Lumgol or Fifth died.

(emphasis mine) This comes off as rather elim sounding to me.

34 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

@shanerockes It doesn't matter too much who you are suspicious of. Just pick somebody random and vote for them, and that will be better than doing nothing (you could even vote for me or Randuir for being annoying :P) . People have to feel like they are under threat of getting lynched, or they won't give anything away about their alignment. You can't worry about lynching a villager, not this early in the game. If 3-4 people are worried about getting lynched each cycle, then odds are one of those players will be an elim after a few cycles. If only 1-2 are, like this day cycle, then we could be doomed.

I'm also going to switch my vote from Bard to Devotary. @Devotary of Spontaneity, the cycle is nearly half over. Wait any longer to vote and there won't be any discussion.

(emphasis mine) This comes off as rather elim sounding to me.

Good idea. Araris Valerian you're being very active. Why do you think that everyone has gone inactive besides you?

I think if anyone had a good answer for what caused inactivity then it wouldn't be an issue. My current activity levels are somewhat of an anomaly, because I'm working at a computer and don't have much else to be doing. If this game is still going in a few weeks then things might drop off for me.

Edit: I also suppose people could be chatting lots in PMs.

Edited by Araris Valerian

Alright, a few thoughts I guess: 

I honestly don't find Bard's vote on me to be suspicious. Although I don't agree with it, I've generally noticed that Bard often votes on me for reasons that I disagree with :P
Besides, he's backed off and admitted that he had misread a part of what I posted, and that makes him less suspicious.

As for Araris, he's being a bit aggressive with his votes... I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone takes their time to vote. It's better if people take their time and think things out, even in the early cycles, than if they rush in and just vote for Someone™. A late but well-thought-out vote gives us more insight into players' reasoning and motives, which gives us more information at the end. @Araris Valerian, please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your intent behind your vote on Devotary.

Again, though, Araris has acted like this in LG55 (for example) as a villager, and I'd say that these quick, aggressive votes are just an Araris thing, village or no. So no vote here either.

2 minutes ago, Lumgol said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone takes their time to vote.

In general, I agree. The problem is, the Turn is half over and we are still on the first page, with something like half the players having posted once.

Also, my vote on Devotary was based on everything I mentioned in my post. A lack of voting, and the quote I find suspicious.

17 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I realize that. But even if no misting were lynched, it wouldn't have been much of a loss to the village. The word "risk" seems rather strong to me given that the stakes were pretty darned low last cycle.

It wasn't a huge risk, sure, with an (arbitrary chance Straw didn't count BR's vote)*(arbitrary chance Lum -who I likely would have voted for over Fifth- isn't a misting) chance that we wouldn't have killed a misting. If Aman those two possibilities coincided though, we would only have one elim instead of the preferred two. You also know perfectly well that I don't vote early in the cycle regardless of alignment. 

Bard

Kind of a placeholder, but also kind of serious.  (Sorry, my car got broken into last night/this morning, so I don't have much of an excuse for not being active at the start of the turn, but right now I'm a bit distracted)  I know Bard has responded to Araris' analysis earlier, but I've been trying to think about how I would play as inquisitor.

• Vote on someone D1, ideally not the actually lynch, but if you end up on the lynch without changing your vote, fine
  • Make sure to have some kind of reason for D1 vote other than poke or gut feeling
  • Try to seem fairly casual in response to any criticism on my game play
  • Be active...but not too active

Yes, I realize that could be how just about anyone acts whether inquisitor or village, but that's a decent number of boxes checked so far.  Also, yes I realize that points one and two may seem designed to discount me as a suspect *ninja Devotary*.  Take that for what you will.

Regardless, I expect to maintain relative activity through this cycle outside of the time I sleep tonight.  So feel free to at me if you want my attention.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:34 PM, Straw said:

Tineye Message #3:

Ladieswandagentlemen,tI'dclikehto?herebyvanounce=thatdIQdidwyou4allwa9greatWfavorgthisXcycle.cIndeed,QI used my nigh omnipotent powers to provide you all with PM's yesterday. Unfortunately, chances are high that I can't be bothered to employ my nearly infinite capabilities in such a mundane fashion again today. To this end, I urge those more naturally suited to this activity to pick up the slack, while I move on to greater things.

watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Just in case you haven't done this yourself

I have no idea what this means

there's clearly watch? but what does v=dQw4w9WgXcQ mean?