What was Nohadon?

TheFoxQR

I found these WoBs, and they are extremely intriguing:

Snote85

Is Nohadon a herald. There are tons and tons of little things that make me think this. Like the KR have the Way of Kings to base their views and policies on. Which, as was stated, was written by him. In Dalinar's vision of Nohadon, he says things about surgebindings and implies the man he's speaking to is a leader of an order, like he himself is. We know, from the WoR (In world) excerpts, that all the orders were lead by the heralds, after a time anyway. That's my reasoning, not that you need it, if it's true or not true. I just thought I might clarify why I came to that conclusion.

Brandon Sanderson

Nohadon is not a Herald, but I can see what lead you to think otherwise. Let's just say that even among kings and surgebinders, he was someone special.

General Reddit 2017 (Feb. 10, 2017)

Questioner

So Nohadon's still alive, right?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO! Why would you say that Nohadon is still alive?

Questioner

I know he's still alive.

Brandon Sanderson

Why would you say he's still alive?

Questioner

It's the perfect trick, that you're gonna bring back Nohadon. It's my feeling about things.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

Brandon's reaction to the second question is telling us something, though I don't know what that something is. What's going on with Nohadon? Was he a Radiant?

Is there a connection between him and Kaladin, the primary protagonist of SA1: The Way of Kings, titled after Nohadon's book in-world? Is there something to the Child of Tanavast thingy and this?

Edit: umhh I accidentally created 10 thousand of these, can a moderator remove the extraneous ones?

Edit 2: I hid the duplicates

Edited by TheFoxQR

There is the Nohadon vision in OB too, where Nohadon goes shopping, I think. There is defenitely something up with him. I think he will appear in present Roshar in some shape or form. A cognitive shadow maybe? 

I could see him returning in 5. He has a connection with Dalinar, and 5 was almost Dalinars book, so it would make sense for him to be there. 

1 minute ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

I strongly believe that Nohodon is a bondsmith. From what we know of his personality I don’t think he would match terribly well with the Stormfather or Nightwatcher, so maybe the sibling?

I do think there’s merit to @Karger idea. He could definitely be an Arthurian figure who’s 99% myth and 1% truth.

I agree that to Dalinar Nohodon is now a bondsmith weather or not the historical figure that Dalinar refers to as Nohodon was actually a bondsmith.  I do think that at least some of the quotes attributed to him probably did come from a historical figure with somewhat similar beliefs but I do think that Dalinar's perception is influencing him.

17 hours ago, Nymeros said:

Basically, Tanavast stepped out on Cultivation, Zeus style, and had a bastard son. That son is Nohadon....and no Tanavast and Cultivation were not on a break.

What if Nohadon was Odium's son somehow?

Actually, what if the evil champion Is Mr. T and Dalinar, whose own champion in the 'personal hero' sense Nohadon, out of wishful thinking decided to appoint Nohadon as the champion against Odium, which would resurrect Nohadon, and Idk... Two robed politicians fighting or what haha

Edited by Ripheus23

26 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Brandon RAFOing a question doesn't tell us anything.  It's the Brandon equivalent of "no comment."  

Yeah, to me the response is more surprise than anything.  Like - he's trying to figure out what, if anything, from the text could have given someone that impression.

18 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

OMG what if Nohadon was an Avatar of Honor?!

I don't think so.  It is certainly possible considering how little we actually know about the guy but I would personally prefer a reflective human.

On 7/21/2019 at 0:35 PM, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

I strongly believe that Nohodon is a bondsmith. From what we know of his personality I don’t think he would match terribly well with the Stormfather or Nightwatcher, so maybe the sibling?

I do think there’s merit to @Karger idea. He could definitely be an Arthurian figure who’s 99% myth and 1% truth.

I think he's Bondsmith as well. 

As for what's up with him appearing Dalinar's dream, there is this idea of a Spiritual Corpse Brandon talks about. Maybe Dalinar is interacting with that. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/183/#e3910 "Even after a long time, there's a record of that spirit web in the spiritual realm."

Because Dalinar is connected to Honor's remnants through the Stormfather, Dalinar may be able to interact with these spirit webs. Might be how he hears Evi.

I think him having the dream of Gavilar at the end of WoR where a blinding light ends it and Nohadon's dream where there is a blinding light at the start are due to the same thing. I think the light is Honor's power, like how everyone (except Odium) has to shield their eyes when Dalinar is forming Honor's perpendicularity. 

9 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think he's Bondsmith as well. 

He could be a Bondsmith and a real historical person.  I am not sure weather I like that but that is also fine theory wise.  The truth is that just about any theory is still valid as the things we actually know about him are minimal.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Seeker861 said:

What if Nohodon was a Radiant who had formed a Nahel bond with Honor himself?

Honor was a person already.  How would you bond him?  That kind of implies a romantic connection BTW.

Edited by Karger