Secret password in Bands of Mourning

Aluminum

Question

11 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Invocation said:

I'm extremely tempted to say it's either Vin or Dox in some form of Scadrian script.

Interesting, I hadn't given this much thought in the past, but this thread made me go back and re-read that part. It is a three key sequence, so VIN or DOX would fit if it was a simple letter cypher.

"Apparently these symbols spell out something the Lord Ruler would have understood." Well, The Sovereign, anyway, who we now know was Kelsier. So, what three key sequence would be meaningful to him, that he could also pass down through his priests?

We're told the door is made of stone, as the walls were, with circles carved into it, and symbols inlaid in silver inside of the circles. The symbols are not recognized by Wax as any script familiar to him, nor does Allik.

We aren't told how many circles there are, or what pattern they're in, or if any of them repeat.

The entire place was presumably built by the priests of the Sovereign, and the passcode sequence, as correctly remembered by Edwarn, was passed down from the lips of a dying priest, to a "doomed Hunter", to Allik's ship's captain when drunk, and then to him.

Allik and his captain may or may not know the Hunters' language or script, but Edwarn certainly does not. So I doubt it's an alphabetic cypher to spell out a 3-letter name.

What three symbol thing would be meaningful to Kelsier, yet communicable not just to his priests but three times removed, passed through a tavern story, forced out by torture, and Connection medallion based translation?

The only symbol described is the second one, when Edwarn tells Wax, while pointing, "the one with the triangular shape." The first and third buttons he only indicates by pointing, and we as readers are not privy to even a similarly vague description of the indicated symbols.

That simple description suggests that shape was important to the mnemonic description, perhaps the only one. If there were lots of triangles in the door, how easily would that information have been accurately passed "from the lips of a dying priest" to a Hunter with drunkenly loose lips and then to an airship captain forced to reveal it under torture, when she'd probably still try to give as little detail as possible? The description would have to have been something like, "and then the triangle shaped one in the upper right", and that is harder to remember.

And yet, they can't be simple geometric shapes - square, circle, triangle, etc. - like they use for testing pre-literate children IRL, or Wax wouldn't think of them as "symbols". He'd call them "shapes".

As for the idea that they could be Aons, I looked at the list of them on the Coppermind, and none of them are what I would describe as "the one with the triangular shape." They're all too complex to describe in terms of a simple shape, but none of them are at all triangular in layout (some are as close as being "diamond shaped", but more than one).

Edited by robardin

Actually, why should the symbols that nobody recognized, Northerner or Southerner, mean anything at all? Perhaps the whole "you have to press the right three symbols, or it will lock and reset only after ten years" legend was a complete blind. I mean, the entire complex of the temple, the series of traps within it leading to a broken case with an empty pedestal, the secret second pedestal underneath it with metal armbands that were empty of any Investiture, was one giant act of misdirection from where the Bands really were kept - right out in front, as the spearhead on the statue of the Sovereign.

After all, as we saw in Secret History, Kelsier was proud of being able to make people "pick the card I wanted them to pick," and his motto is "there is always another secret."

I suspect the "aluminum belt" that was on the statue with the Bands-as-spearhead is more than it seems. Wax already initially mistook the spearhead as being aluminum, based on its being invisible to his Steelsight, when in fact it was simply extraordinarily Invested. Afterward, he examined the belt more closely, and concluded it really was made of aluminum... but it could still be Invested aluminum, a metalmind storing Identity.

The "false Bands" that were arm bracers on a pedestal underneath the temple were still venerated enough for people to have died constructing a trap ceiling for, as their last living act. They were later described as "two silvery bracers, each as long as a forearm" when Edwarn shows them to Telsin.

They weren't nicrosilminds granting Feruchemical or Allomantic powers, as the Bands were supposed to be, but that doesn't mean they're nothing. I can't really see Kelsier letting faithful followers commit an act of communal self-destruction just to make a ruse.

What if they really were atiumminds, like the bracers the Lord Ruler had actually worn? Or even more interesting, if they were indeed "bands" of all powers like the spearhead, but instead of being unsealed, they are keyed to an identity - the identity that is stored in the aluminum belt, which is unkeyed.

So one needs to be a Soulbearer Ferring to tap the belt, or to have a medallion granting F-aluminum, which then gives you the proper Identity to then use the "false" Bands, with whatever it is that they have got in them.

6 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Another possibility is, due to Kelsier's exposure to the Dor via the fortress, they might correspond loosely to Aons.

That is a fun theory.

10 hours ago, Invocation said:

I'm extremely tempted to say it's either Vin or Dox in some form of Scadrian script.

Awww.  In all seriousness that sounds like terrible password security.

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 9:07 AM, SkyRunner said:

Could have sworn the password was up up down down left right left right a b start :huh:

Maybe he kept a cheat sheet in his Grand Theft Auto disc box. Should really check that and we would get the answer!!