Thought on Oathbringer that is almost certainly wrong

Now this is a pretty crazy out there theory that someone will definitely prove wrong, but none of my friends read these books and I needed someplace to share this thought.

What if Oathbringer is the Sibling? I could be mistaken here, but I’m pretty sure that there was only one Bondsmith at the time of the Recreance, but I don’t think it ever tells us which spren is the one who is bonded. I think that the Bondsmith was bonded to the Sibling, then broke their oath like the other Knights Radiant, leaving the sibling behind as a shardblade. 

This could explain why The Stormfather refuses to be summoned as a blade. He remembers what happened, and is sure that Dalinar will break his oath, leaving him dead, which I don’t think would happen unless he were manifesting in the physical realm as a blade. It could also help explain why Oathbringer doesn’t hate Dalinar as much, as Dalinar is probably someone who could have forged a bond with him in the first place.  I also like the thought of a Bondsmith blade being named Oathbringer.

I really like this theory! It seems plausible, but we know so little about the other Bondsmith spren (especialy the Sibling) and the old Bondsmiths that we can't really support it much either. Is there a WOB that says whether Bondsmiths can have blades or do we only have the Stormfather's conversation with Dalinar to rely on?

32 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

I really like this theory! It seems plausible, but we know so little about the other Bondsmith spren (especialy the Sibling) and the old Bondsmiths that we can't really support it much either. Is there a WOB that says whether Bondsmiths can have blades or do we only have the Stormfather's conversation with Dalinar to rely on?

Good point. Pretty sure that Bondsmiths as a rule dont have Blades.

Edit: Found it!

Questioner

As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmiths didn't have Blades.

Note that this is part of a longer WoB on Elhokars Blade, but Brandons statement is pretty clear, so I didn’t grab the whole thing.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

So it's a fun theory! But (you knew there'd be a but, didn't you? Because it's me)...

The Sibling was withdrawing before the Recreance. Its withdrawal and the evacuation of Urithiru were featured in the gemstone archives, which had to have been recorded prior to, not only the Recreance, but whatever Melishi's plan was.

Also, as others have stated, Bondsmiths didn't get Shardblades.

My personal theory is that the Sibling was withdrawing because it was unbonded at the time--the generation only had one Bondsmith. And the one that was bonded was the Stormfather. He's called a survivor of the Recreance, after all.

In addition, I believe that Tanavast chose his own death at that time so that his Cognitive Shadow would be able to merge with the Stormfather and save him, preventing him from being a deadeye or whatever would happen to him as a mindless spren.

In addition, I believe that Tanavast chose his own death at that time so that his Cognitive Shadow would be able to merge with the Stormfather and save him, preventing him from being a deadeye or whatever would happen to him as a mindless spren.

I've actually had a theory for quite a while that Tanavast chose his moment of death both to preserve his spren and to trap Odium on Roshar. I think he has a plan very similar to what Ati did on his planet and that there's something that's going to cause Tanavast's shard to come back into play eventually.

3 minutes ago, Xardan Ta'Caran said:

I've actually had a theory for quite a while that Tanavast chose his moment of death both to preserve his spren and to trap Odium on Roshar. I think he has a plan very similar to what Ati did on his planet and that there's something that's going to cause Tanavast's shard to come back into play eventually.

Mmmm Odium had to have been trapped long before Tanavast died. Odium would have no reason to Invest, creating the Fused, the Unmade, and the voidspren, unless he were already trapped, because Investing in places lessens his pool of available power.

And the way the Stormfather phrases the Heralds approaching Honor to bind the Fused, says to me that they came up with the idea of the Oathpact based on the bindings on Odium.

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

Mmmm Odium had to have been trapped long before Tanavast died. Odium would have no reason to Invest, creating the Fused, the Unmade, and the voidspren, unless he were already trapped, because Investing in places lessens his pool of available power.

Agreed. I had just assumed that Tanavast trapped Odium to begin with, then chose to die to ensure that trap stayed in place. Happy to admit if I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me that he knew he wasn't going to be able to keep it up indefinitely, so he chose to die to ensure the trap wouldn't fail.

Realize I've also read almost no WoB's about any of this. Just theories according to little ole me. ;)

5 hours ago, Xardan Ta'Caran said:

then chose to die to ensure that trap stayed in place

Don't you think Honor would mention his sacrifice in vision to Dalinar?  Also he say "Oduim has killed me" implying that his role was passive not active.  This is not definitive proof of course but it is an indication.

13 hours ago, Karger said:

Don't you think Honor would mention his sacrifice in vision to Dalinar?  Also he say "Oduim has killed me" implying that his role was passive not active.  This is not definitive proof of course but it is an indication.

So I have two thoughts on this.

First, I should have worded that better. I should have said "chose the moment of his death and used it to trap Odium" rather than saying "chose to die." That one is my bad. I should've been a little more clear.

Second (and with that being said), I do believe that Odium killed him, just like Ruin killed preservation, but preservation had already put plans in place to resolve that issue. That's more what I was alluding to. I think Honor put plans in place to ensure that Odium couldn't leave and that there would be some kind of a chance of stopping Odium permanently.

My apologies for the misstep there. :-)

EDIT

I realized I didn't mention the visions. 

It was proven in Oathbringer that Odium can see the visions. I think Honor intentionally left out the sensitive information of choosing that moment of death so that Odium wouldn't ever discover the secret. That way it gave the people of Roshar a fighting chance.

Edited by Xardan Ta'Caran

On 7/16/2019 at 1:25 PM, RShara said:

I hadn't seen this before - I really like it.  

It's always seemed strange to me that we know so little about Tanavast's actual death.  It seems like it should be a BFD - the death of a (Vessel of a) Shard!  But we have no mention of it in the books.  Seemingly no historical event tied to it, no mass explosion in the number of spren, nothing.  

On 7/16/2019 at 1:25 PM, RShara said:

My personal theory is that the Sibling was withdrawing because it was unbonded at the time--the generation only had one Bondsmith. And the one that was bonded was the Stormfather. He's called a survivor of the Recreance, after all.

Could the Withdrawing have anything to do with the Recreance? There are examples of future events resonating in the past, maybe this was a case of that?

Also, the reaction recorded in the archives is pretty non-chalant given the context. It's like, yeah, that's just happening. Like, the Sibling is kin to the literal God of Storms and Goddess of... something. Maybe show a little more panic?

• Chaos locked this topic