Era 2 We Should Have Started With Wayne

Notchbeard

Wax's start was awesome for 1 chapter. Then we basically get him dealing with annoying people for like 10 chapters before the story picks up. I feel like we should have followed Wayne into the city looking for Wax and planning his escapades. I had the hardest time getting into the book because its like 100 pages of his buttler, his fiance and his inner demons while we get very little Wayne at the start. Anyone else with me on this?

1 hour ago, Notchbeard said:

Wax's start was awesome for 1 chapter. Then we basically get him dealing with annoying people for like 10 chapters before the story picks up. I feel like we should have followed Wayne into the city looking for Wax and planning his escapades. I had the hardest time getting into the book because its like 100 pages of his buttler, his fiance and his inner demons while we get very little Wayne at the start. Anyone else with me on this?

Interesting tidbit, originally Wayne was the primary protagonist and Wax didn't exist. Brandon felt Wayne by himself didn't work, so he came up with Wax, and then Wax ended up being the primary protagonist. 

3 hours ago, Notchbeard said:

I think starting with Wayne would be a bit...  Jarring. 

Personally, I like Wax.  I like how he went about it.  The slow parts are more suggestive of his character than the crazy things.  He has his "LAWMAN" Persona that slams into place when he's on the hunt, but during those downtime he has an interesting stream of thought and development. 

Though, I suppose, I do tend to like "Man vs Self" style conflict. 

Edited by First Witness

Wayne is great, don't get me wrong. And I enjoy the twisted ways of his mind. With that in mind I think that we get enough Wayne, that too much of him would backfire and make a lesser book. Serious matters need a serious protagonist and Wax is that in spades. Plus Wayne needs a straight man to play off of or he gets annoying. IMO.

I personally prefer Wax. Wayne is an amazing character in small doses, and I particularly enjoy his interactions with Marasi, but generally I don't care for chapters from his point of view. Mistborn era 2 is probably my favorite set of books that Brandon has written, and I can't imagine they would be nearly as good if Wayne were the main character.

• Chaos locked this topic