9 posts in this topic

I have a theory regarding how truespren make it back into roshar the first time. This theory came about as a result of the scene where Shallan had to draw Pattern before he could manifest. That seemed odd to me that she had to do that when none of the other new Knights have had to do something similar. I think it has to do less with her drawing him, and more with the amount of creationspren she attracted doing so (the quote says hundreds of creationspren were drawn to her at that time.) My theory comes from an assumption that each true spren type has their own "squires" so to speak. Cryptics have creationspren, Honorspren have windspren, Cultivationspren have lifespren, the Bondsmith spren have gloryspren. ( I posit that there has to be a sufficiently large amount of these "squire" spren in an area to punch a whole between the Cognitive and Physical realm "big" enough for these true spren to come through. For Syl, that mean there needed to be enough windspren, say in a windy area like barren plains or when fighting with a spear, which has been stated to generate windspren. For Pattern, Shallan had to actually be creative enough to draw enough creationspren to allow pattern to fully manifest, rather than poking through like most spren do. Idk, what do you think. I think this theory has holes, but its going somewhere.

Edited by MasterheartsXIII

I actually kind of like this theory.  Enough spren in one area is going to act kind of like a perpendicularity and make it easier for the Radiant spren to come through.  When reading I just thought that Pattern needed to be defined before he could be understood or interacted with by Shallan.

I like it! It kind of reminds me of this WoB:

Questioner: In the end of Words of Radiance, Syl is turning into a Shardblade as well as other different weapons, and Kaladin has a whole bunch of windspren around him. I am wondering if that is a precursor to Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson: I think you are a very smart man and you are asking wise questions.

In addition to windspren for Windrunners, I'd guess that the "cousins" are creationspren for Lightweavers, lifespren for Edgedancers, flamespren for Dustbringers, logicspren for Elsecallers, and gloryspren for Bondsmiths. (Not sure about the other orders.)

I like the idea that they could have other practical functions besides Shardplate.

Pattern's an unusual case to use as a basis here. He'd been more or less dead for like a decade or so. And we have no idea how Syl initially crossed over into the PR, except that the way she talks about it it had more to do with Kaladin than anything else

As a terminology matter, calling the spren that form Nahel Bonds 'true spren' is misleading. The more common but still unofficial term is 'Radiantspren' (with or without a space) and it's worth noting that they actually arose after most of the other types appeared, mostly spurred by the arrival of Honor and Cultivation.

Seems reasonably likely though i'd imagine the crossing over into the physical realm might attract lesser spren. The mini "perpendicularity" caused by a spren crossing into the physical seems likely to attract lesser spren both due to their relationship with radiant spren and because it's probably easier to feed on things in the physical realm when the realms are closer together. I think it's probably partially a positive feedback loop.

But all spren are partly in the Physical Realm and partly in the Cognitive Realm (the ration is different for different types of spren), so why would they need to "punch a hole" between the Realms?  

But Elhokar mentioned seeing "Shadows sneaking up behind me" in the mirrors or something similiar. I don't think looking into a mirror attracts creativity-spren. (...or maybe Elhokar was into creative application of make-up?)

(I also kind of have a problem believing that Kaladin became a Radiant because of "bad weather.")

On 7/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, Scion of the Mists said:

But all spren are partly in the Physical Realm and partly in the Cognitive Realm (the ration is different for different types of spren), so why would they need to "punch a hole" between the Realms?  

Humans are in all three realms but we still need a perpendicularity to make full transfers.

3 hours ago, bxcnch said:

But Elhokar mentioned seeing "Shadows sneaking up behind me" in the mirrors or something similiar. I don't think looking into a mirror attracts creativity-spren. (...or maybe Elhokar was into creative application of make-up?)

(I also kind of have a problem believing that Kaladin became a Radiant because of "bad weather.")

Elhokar's budding powers might have let him see into shadesmar the spren were already being attracted he just did not understand what was going on.  Windspren are kind of everywhere in the physical realm.  Syl also mentions following the winds to find him.