Alternative Villains

Draginon

15 hours ago, Draginon said:

Well since we don’t know what his childhood was like it could be either situation: Him striving for the ideal or his parents encouraging him (or worse discouraging like berating him if he had a hair out of place) for stuff that made him so focused on appearances and reputations over ability.

Stormlight spoilers

Spoiler

Well by his own words and Jasnah's retort, his mother made sure in every way possible to make him the "ideal alethi soldier". I personally do not think it is him striving to be a better person, because every instance we see of him talking about his motivations and the motivations of the religion he believes in, is for glory. When he meets up with Taln, he says "And with it, your return to glory". When speaking to Dalinar about going to the center of the shattered plains, he mentions ditching Sebarial, and the other highprince, because just them going would be more glory for themselves. Jasnah says how he would destroy their army, just to be seen as the savior. Honest I think the reason he latched onto Vorinism is because it is seen as honorable to fight, and bring greater glory to yourself, resulting in fighting by the Almighty's side to retake the tranquiline halls for even more glory. Its narcissism taken to the extreme. He joins a cause to bring back the heralds for glory to be seen as the savior of the church, and greater glory from his god. Once it was revealed there would be no glory or reward because it was all false, he jumped ship to Odium, who he viewed as the winning side, to again gain glory. That was his whole rant to Kaladin. That Amaram made him, and should be thanked. That now suddenly the fused are more deserving, and it is honorable to help them.

He craves power and glory. At least that is my reading of him. I really should find time to work more on that thread I was planning going through all his quotes.  

Edited by Pathfinder