Not-So-Logicalspren

Random stupid question

11 posts in this topic

I’m currently doing a re-read of MB, and I was thinking about how Allomancers can’t push or pull on metals inside or piercing a persons body. I’m assuming this is because of the innate investiture that all people have, and how it’s really hard to manipulate (couldn’t think of a better word, sorry) objects that are invested.  So if an Allomancer were to go to Nalthis, would they be able to push on the metals inside the body of a Drab, because they have no more inherit investiture?  Because if that is a possibility, they could essentially turn in to bloodbenders (from Avatar) and control Drabs by pushing and pulling on the iron in their blood, and I think that would be terriffying, but also pretty cool.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool question, though I'm wondering if they would actually be able to push on iron in the blood due to it being so fine that its almost impossible to detect. Maybe if they got a larger piece of metal in there?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Not-So-Logicalspren said:

I’m currently doing a re-read of MB, and I was thinking about how Allomancers can’t push or pull on metals inside or piercing a persons body. I’m assuming this is because of the innate investiture that all people have, and how it’s really hard to manipulate (couldn’t think of a better word, sorry) objects that are invested.  So if an Allomancer were to go to Nalthis, would they be able to push on the metals inside the body of a Drab, because they have no more inherit investiture?  Because if that is a possibility, they could essentially turn in to bloodbenders (from Avatar) and control Drabs by pushing and pulling on the iron in their blood, and I think that would be terriffying, but also pretty cool.

Drabs are still invested, they are just not quite as invested as most people, so it would be easier to push/pull on metals inside a drabs body. But it would still probably be basically impossible or at least extremely difficult for the average Allowmancer.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason for them not being able to push/pull metal inside others may also have a spiritual component to it. Once a metal is perceived to be inside someone, you may be forming certain spiritual connections that further obfuscate others' capability to detect and affect them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Questioner

So I have heard that it is harder to Push a Shardblade with Allomancy than it is a normal sword.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Is that true of both living and dead Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Equally?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, no.

Questioner

Okay, so it's even more difficult to Push one alive.

Brandon Sanderson

The thing-- An Invested object is more difficult with any of the magics. So, for instance, even a Feruchemical metalmind is going to be harder. Depends on how much it is Invested, and things like that. But, y'know, it can range from you barely notice it or don't even notice it to "Wow, that's hard to Push on". Same for a Hemalurgical spike, depending on how much Investiture is left over, how long has it been outside of a body, and things like that. Same thing Pushing on something inside a person's body, their Investiture is going to interfere with it.

Same thing, when you read White Sand, why a person slapping their hand through someone's stream of sand can throw off the entire creation of the sand mastery. It's just-- There's interference patterns, and things like that.

Questioner

And is that true of a Drab as well? Does the body affect--

Brandon Sanderson

The Drab is going to have less.

Questioner

So they just have less Investiture, but they still have some natural Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

They do still have some. They've lost their Breath but that isn't the entirety of the Investiture inside of them.

Almost all of the times we see Vin--in fact I think every time--we see Vin, or someone in the Mistbornbooks, Pushing or Pulling on an Invested metal they are either drawing on the mist or they're Elend or the Lord Ruler who have the enhanced power, or something like that. Or it's a duralumin Push, or its one of the Inquisitors who's had a spike-- y'know, and things like that, that've-- And so it's not something that you see done very often in the Mistbornbooks.

Rubix

I can actually confirm that's correct.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh you guys looked it up?

Rubix

I checked.

Brandon Sanderson

I mean it can be done. And depending on Investiture it can be not even that hard to do but--

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the term is "Interference."  Items inside the body are entangling with your spiritual web, or, at least, shrouded inside your spiritual web.  The different form of investiture surrounding the metal creates interference for steel/iron allomancy.  So it is very related to how much a metal is invested.  The same goes for a person in shardplate who has a steel necklace on, the necklace will be shrouded in the shardplates investiture making the necklace nigh-untargetable by steel/iron.  

TLR (Rashek) DOES push on the metals inside Vin's body, so, it IS possible.  You just have to be extremely capable with your form of investiture to push past or through those interferences.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I’ve always assumed that not being able to push on metals in a body and not being able to push on invested objects are two different things. You can’t push (easily) on metals inside a personbecause of some sort of hemalurgical interference.

edit: to answer the original question I think it would be no easier to push on metal in a drab

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything has some investiture.  Drabs might have less but they are still sentient humans with souls.  It may be incrementally easier but if you can push on something inside somone's body I don't think you would care much if they are drab or not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

I’ve always assumed that not being able to push on metals in a body and not being able to push on invested objects are two different things. You can’t push (easily) on metals inside a personbecause of some sort of hemalurgical interference.

edit: to answer the original question I think it would be no easier to push on metal in a drab

Not all metal inside a person is a hemalurgic spike. And aside from that, the reason hemalurgic spikes are more difficult to effect is due to the fact that they are invested. 

It is a known fact that the reason metal is more difficult to effect with allowmancy when it's inside a body is due to the investiture in a person as per the WoB Snipex posted above

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

It is a known fact that the reason metal is more difficult to effect with allowmancy when it's inside a body is due to the investiture in a person as per the WoB Snipex posted above

Well shoot, guess I should  read more carefully before posting

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

Not all metal inside a person is a hemalurgic spike. And aside from that, the reason hemalurgic spikes are more difficult to effect is due to the fact that they are invested. 

It is a known fact that the reason metal is more difficult to effect with allowmancy when it's inside a body is due to the investiture in a person as per the WoB Snipex posted above

Since that is true I would think that is a given that manipulation metals in a drab is easier , what we don't know is by how much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.