The Thrill and the Rhythm

Impact

So in my reread of Oathbringer, I noticed that when, in the flashbacks, Dalinar feels the Thrill, it says on a few occasions that he almost hears a beat or rhythm.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the Singers' rhythms? 

My theory is that he's hearing one of the Rhythms of power faintly, because the Unmade are spren of Odium and Odium's spren are what grant the new Rhythms.  Being under the influence of such a powerful, giant spren, especially for someone like Dalinar who's spirit web has to be a little broken to be a nascent Radiant, creates a mindset or almost a Connection to the Singers in a way not yet explored.

3 minutes ago, Impact said:

My theory is that he's hearing one of the Rhythms of power faintly, because the Unmade are spren of Odium and Odium's spren are what grant the new Rhythms.  Being under the influence of such a powerful, giant spren, especially for someone like Dalinar who's spirit web has to be a little broken to be a nascent Radiant, creates a mindset or almost a Connection to the Singers in a way not yet explored.

My person theory is that Dalinar is actually how Odium figured out how to bond humans.

2 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Does Rock have singer blood? 

Yes, Horneaters and Herdazians both have some singer blood. The  Horneaters got the red hair, the extra mouth parts, and the height. The Herdazians have rock-like fingernails.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, supersmith said:

The real question is, why can’t humans hear the rhythm in the first place? Why do they need to have some Singer blood (Rock) or feeling the thrill? 

Singer mind's are closer to the CR then human ones.  They also may be more invested.

45 minutes ago, supersmith said:

So the rhythms are in the CR then? Why don’t humans hear them when they are in the CR? 

I believe it is Shallan who mentions when looking in when time that the beads rattle to a strange rhythm.

On 7/14/2019 at 0:54 PM, supersmith said:

So the rhythms are in the CR then? Why don’t humans hear them when they are in the CR? 

The Rhythms are the Rosharan version of a Spiritual phenomenon that permeates the cosmere. For why humans can't hear them but singers can, it's sort of the same type of question as why can singers grow carapace but humans can't? It's how the story is written. Humans don't have the spiritual or genetic ability to hear them.

The humans don't hear the Rhythms in the CR. They hear the beads clacking together, in what seems to be a Rhythm. It's like how they can hear the singers speaking or singing to the Rhythms, but not know what they are.

Edited by RShara

Beat me to it:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Could a Soother prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. A coppercloud could, but I hadn't thought about emotional allomancy interacting. See, the rhythm isn't your emotion and doesn't determine your mood. It is a direct connection to the spiritual realm. So I guess soothing could make it harder just like it makes anything harder, in the same way that driving a car would be harder. [recording starts here] And so, for the same reasons that you can, um, it is possible that a coppercloud can play with it. Not a normal power of a coppercloud, but you’ve seen them do stuff similar.

Footnote: Question was cut off in recording, first bit reproduced from memory
Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

Is it the closeness to spren that allow singers to hear the rhythms?  Because if the Rhythms come from the spirit realm, maybe there is something about spren's existence in the SR that allow singers to hear them.  Maybe that's why the parshmen could not.

Spoiler

I had always assumed that the humans couldn't hear the rhythms because they're not originally from Roshar. The rhythms were created for the listeners, not the humans, so why would an invading species be able to hear the rhythms?

Sorry. All of my information has to do with spoilers from Oathbringer. Please don't read that unless you've finished the book. ;)

No need for spoiler tags for any Stormlight content in this forum, unless someone specifically requests them.

The Rhythms, as I said, are the Rosharan version of a Spiritual phenomenon that happens across the Cosmere. They weren't created for the singers, the singers just have the ability to attune to them.

They're related a bit to how Mistborn:

Spoiler

Bronze Seekers hear pulses from people who are burning metals.

Aethenoth

Can an Allomantic bronze burner hear the Rhythms on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this is possible.

General Signed Books 2016 (May 2, 2016)

The Rhythms are a part of wider phenomena, as mentioned by others.

Other examples are Seekers, which can hear kinetic allomancy. Skilled ones can also distinguish between different forms of Kinetic Allomancy by the specific beat.

Alendi and Vin also heard the Well as beats. Same thing probably.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, RShara said:

Yes, Horneaters and Herdazians both have some singer blood. The  Horneaters got the red hair, the extra mouth parts, and the height. The Herdazians have rock-like fingernails.

Can you explain what you mean by "extra mouth parts"? I can't recall any mention of this in the books.

19 minutes ago, nofrodelius said:

Can you explain what you mean by "extra mouth parts"? I can't recall any mention of this in the books.

It's referred to a little subtly, but it's why Horneaters can eat, well, horns, and shells and such.

Just now, RShara said:

It's referred to a little subtly, but it's why Horneaters can eat, well, horns, and shells and such.

Ah, I thought they just had extra-strong teeth. The way you phrased it, I thought they might have mandibles or something that I completely missed in the books... :lol:

5 minutes ago, nofrodelius said:

Ah, I thought they just had extra-strong teeth. The way you phrased it, I thought they might have mandibles or something that I completely missed in the books... :lol:

Brandon Sanderson

There was intermixing long ago. Horneaters and Herdazians are both a result. (Signs of this are the stone carapace on Herdazian fingernails and the Horneater extra jaw pieces--in the back of the mouth--for breaking shells.)

Humans and parshmen don't have a common ancestor. And as a side note, both of these strains of humanoids predate the ascension of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/188/#e3922

His people had always assumed the humans were deaf to the rhythms, but he wasn’t convinced. Perhaps it was his imagination, but it seemed that sometimes they responded to certain rhythms. They’d look up at a moment of frenzied beats, eyes getting a far-off look. They’d grow agitated and shout in time, for a moment, to the Rhythm of Irritation, or whoop right on beat with the Rhythm of Joy. It comforted him to think that they might someday learn to hear the rhythms. Perhaps then he wouldn’t feel so alone.

I think we can say that humans can subconsciously hear the rhythms.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2019 at 7:26 PM, supersmith said:

The real question is, why can’t humans hear the rhythm in the first place? Why do they need to have some Singer blood (Rock) or feeling the thrill? 

the Parshendi are more Connected to Roshar than humans are, as they are the original inhabitants of Roshar. It also said in the Ela Steile that humans could not "hear Roshar". so it might be something from the Cognitive or Spiritual realms. 

• Chaos locked this topic