Scariest thing in Cosmere

I think the -scariest- Hemalurgic Spike is an Aluminium spike. It simply suppresses all abilities. So, you end up shot  and dying, and lose all manner of healing yourself. 

Secondly, A motivated Lord Ruler would be terrifying on a huge scale.   

The idea that Hemalurgy works as a harsher version of breaths is also pretty terrifying where a spike could hold the same trait multiple times from multiple deaths. 

24 minutes ago, First Witness said:

I think the -scariest- Hemalurgic Spike is an Aluminium spike. It simply suppresses all abilities. So, you end up shot  and dying, and lose all manner of healing yourself. 

Secondly, A motivated Lord Ruler would be terrifying on a huge scale.   

The idea that Hemalurgy works as a harsher version of breaths is also pretty terrifying where a spike could hold the same trait multiple times from multiple deaths. 

Could you elaborate? From what I understand, all an aluminium spike does is steal enhancement allomantic abilities. If you mean stabbing someone with it means you lose the ability to heal, that is (from what I recall) incorrect. True you cannot heal the stab wound from the aluminum spike while it is in you, but that does not negate healing anywhere else. 

22 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Could you elaborate? From what I understand, all an aluminium spike does is steal enhancement allomantic abilities. If you mean stabbing someone with it means you lose the ability to heal, that is (from what I recall) incorrect. True you cannot heal the stab wound from the aluminum spike while it is in you, but that does not negate healing anywhere else. 

The most recent published Hemalurgic Chart says aluminum "Removes all Powers", and it's worth noting that it says "Removes" where literally ever other metal says "Steals"

23 hours ago, First Witness said:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Hemalurgy

The Hemalurgy table has been updated a few times through the years, since some of the 'newer' metals were placed based on suppositions.  The Coppermind has the associated power to which I am referring. 

30 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The most recent published Hemalurgic Chart says aluminum "Removes all Powers", and it's worth noting that it says "Removes" where literally ever other metal says "Steals"

Ah, I did peruse the new table in the leatherbound, but forgot that tidbit. Thank you both!

On 7/16/2019 at 8:30 AM, Notchbeard said:

Hoid by far. WoB said, WITHOUT HESITATION, he is the strongest non-shard bearer in the Cosmere. I have a feeling if Kelsier wielded Nightblood against Hoid, he would laugh and humiliate him like their first fight. We don't know his motives, I fear the unknown.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, Weltall said:

[CITATION NEEDED]

This is the closest I could dig up... "Without hesitation" seems exaggerated... 

Questioner

Who is the most powerful non-Shard entity in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

It's probably Hoid.

Waygate Foundation Write-a-thon (Jan. 17, 2014)

Edited by The Sovereign

Scariest object? Nightblood.

Scariest power? Hemalurgy.

Thing I never want to accidentally run into at night in a dark Alley?  Probably a Mistwraith.  Harmless, but creepy.

Scariest "natural" phenomena? The Shades in the Forest of Hell.

Scariest non-shard individual?  This is a toss up.  There are a number of individuals of varying power levels who are pretty scary in their own right.  Kelsier. Mraize.  Marsh.  The Blackthorn.  TLR.  

The Heralds should probably make the list, on account of them being relatively lynchpin elements to Rayse's imprisonment and all of them being entirely kookoo.  Ishar in particular, as I have fairly high expectations for what a Bondsmith should be able to do, and one that is entirely unhindered by Oaths who happens to also be known as Binder of Gods is likely something that can do damage on a pretty wide scale.  

On 7/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Subvisual Haze said:

God is dead.

At least in the Judeo-Christian sense.  The aspect most traditionally associated with God is (charitable/merciful) love.

The shard of Adonalsium that seems closest to this is Devotion.  Which was shattered long ago.

Existential yikes!

There is an interesting tidbit from the Arcanum Unbounded that might interest you:

Spoiler

At this point, the bulk of the Investiture that made up the powers of Dominion and Devotion is trapped on the Cognitive Realm. Collectively, these powers—which have a polarized relationship—are called the Dor. Forced together as they are, trapped and bursting to escape, they power the various forms of magic on Sel, which are multitude.

Because the Cognitive Realm has distinct locations (unlike the Spiritual Realm, where most forms of Investiture reside), magic on Sel is very dependent upon physical position. In addition, the rules of perception and intent are greatly magnified on Sel, to the point that language—or similar functions—directly shapes the magic as it is pulled from the Cognitive Realm and put to use.

This overlap between language, location, and magic on the planet has become so integral to the system that subtle changes in one can have profound effects on how the Dor is accessed. Indeed, I believe that the very landscape itself has become Invested to the point that it has a growing self-awareness, in a way unseen on other planets in the cosmere. I do not know how this happened, or what the ramifications will be.

I’ve begun to wonder if something greater is happening on Sel than we, at the universities of Silverlight, have guessed. Something with origins lost in time. Perhaps the Ire know more, but they are not speaking on the topic, and have repeatedly denied my requests for collaboration.

Relevant bits in bold. And considering that Sel's Cognitive is where most of the core of Devotion's investiture is, with no Vessel to channel it, I wonder if seeds of a second Adonalsium are beginning to take root there. Maybe this plays into the greater Cosmere plot? I dunno.

I've always found this interesting; the idea of something greater with origins lost in time is extremely intriguing. And scary.

Edited by TheFoxQR

On 7/9/2019 at 7:46 PM, Ripheus23 said:

The scariest thing in the cosmere would be a sandling and a chasmfiend tethered to a chariot carrying Odium wearing a hat on which Ati was standing while balancing Nightblood on his nose.

Would Nightblood kill them? They are evil, but his concepts of evil are skewed. Also, they are shards.

Spoiler

Also isn't ruin dead at this point, or is it just anything at any time?