On 12/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Failen stood, managing to keep his balance this time. "What do you need from me? A blood sample? A tissue sample? Something else? I'll gladly help you if you need it." He didn't mind- they had the same magic he and his grandmother had. So... he trusted them.

Cheh looked between Jessy and Failen. Unsure. Jessy didn’t trust them, Failen did. And Cheh still had no idea that this sort of ‘testing’ technology was even possible. But, there was a good chance he wouldn’t be able to get back home to tell his world about it either, unless they figured out why the Universe was responding to him in particular.

“Well, maybe we can see similarities between all of us?” He asked. “See if the ‘Universe’ likes one particular quality?” A small he said it he realised that would mean everyone disclosing things about themselves. So he went first.

“I’m Cheh. I’m a teenager. I can bend, which means I have magic. We all have magic here, right? That’s one similarity.” Thinking he tried to continue. “I have a family. I’m afraid of heights. My favourite food is rice, I’ve never been outside my own country.” But there was something else he didn’t want to say. But Cheh knew if they really wanted to find similarities, they didn’t have to disclose everything.

“I... never really felt belonged as an Earthbender. I wanted to be spiritual but it’s particularly difficult as an Earthbender to be that way.” Maybe all of them never felt belonged where they were? Or maybe it’s just you, Cheh.

Edited by I think I am here.

Failen considered that, looking him and thinking. "I'm half unicorn half human. I'm the first and only of my kind. I'm also fairykind and a shadowcharmer. I'm entirely made of opposing pieces- magic and biology that doesn't belong together. I literally have no place in the world. Not unless I find a way to make one for myself. I'm also a teenager, but I think some of the people here are adults, so... who knows?" He smiled at Cheh, finding that he lined- the man more and more. Or... boy? What were teenagers considered in relation to that?

Gratefully Jessy shot Cheh a quick look, accepted John's explanation regarding ethics. He was right. They weren't perfect. But neither was she.

"I am Jessy. I am a soldier, commanded my own starship. I've killed so many in the war, that I can't remember the number. I am rare, there aren't many human Biotics, but I am by no means one of my kind. I liked where I was and I belonged there. When they invited me for my N7 training, I felt like the proudest person on the planet, despite some others being invited as well."

She sighed rubbed her face. "The two of you, I can see some similarities, but I just break the picture completely. I am an adult, I had a place I was comfortable with. Willingly I would never have left at all." And I'd love to go back.

Alright, similarities then. "I'm Ryan, a human." he felt weird making that clarification, but went on. "I'm a bracer, my job is to help mantain peace without intervening with the government. Most of the time we only do errands or exterminate small monsters, really. I don't really have magic, not in the way you guys do. I have this orbment which is attuned to me and allows me to do magic but there isn't any energy actually flowing through me."

Was there something else? "Also I'm twenty one, though I don't know if that means anything if you are from different worlds."

Edited by Eluvianii

"Wait." Ryan started. "What does that mean for us? You want to know what's so special about us and we want to know too but it doesn't end there, right? You won't make your tests, open a portal to our worlds and be done with it, right? Something comes after that. So, what comes after that? Forget about the universe and metaphysics for a moment and answer me something simple. How long will we be in this world? I know what you'll say, you don't know but just an estimate is enough. How big is this and how long will it take? What chances do I have of seeing my friends and family again in a day or two?"

John hesitated. "I don't know what it means for you, aside from understanding yourselves more." 

Alyssa stood up from her floating meditation position. "We can't just open portals to your worlds; it's more complicated than that. We need to get a Universe Capable ship in order to do that, and currently we don't have any in the system, so it might take a while to pull one from active duty."

John continued. "How long will you be here? Only as long as you need to be as we wait for a ship, and even then you'll hear from us often when you're home." He took a deep breath. "Chances of you getting home in a few rotations aren't likely. A week might be more like it. We can try to deposit you where we left off in the timestream, but very few of our ships can do that, which means we would have to wait longer, and even then, time travel is experimental at this stage. You can never exactly tell where you'll end up." It's how my father died.

@Eluvianii

Edited by John Flamesinger
Did the edit box conversation end?

A week. That wasn't so bad, he could work with a week. He repeated it quietly. He knew he was ignoring what John said after that, it was more of a hopeful estimate but he needed something to cling on to. "Right." he said. "Sorry about... I didn't mean to explode like that but I needed to know."

Some bracer he was. Decision making and level headedness were supposed to be his strong points, and now he had been on the verge of a panic attack.

It wasn't right. Even after coming back, he couldn't allow himself to stay like this. It had taken an extreme situation for him to see it but he really wasn't ready for this job. Those guys on Liberl were younger than him but he was sure they wouldn't even flinch in this situation. I can't go back like this. I have the time so might as well use it. Use it to become worthy of those he admired. It was the only thing there was to do, thinking about it.

And for now that meant... what exactly?

"Sooo, now what?"

And this is me not being consistent with my character. I'm sorry, I guess I'm still trying to figure out who this guy is, but I promise his actions will start to make sense soon.

Edited by Eluvianii
That depends. Do we have a topic?

32 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

"Sooo, now what?"

"We wait."

An soft ding came from the wall, and John and Alyssa turned to see what it was. The wall lit up, and runes flashed across it so fast you could hardly tell they were runes at all.

John frowned. Alyssa turned sharply towards the humans.

"Get behind something now! Don't use magic!" 

The two Gathen faced the door, and the room shimmered, taking on the appearance of a hall miles high and wide. There were several chairs and pillars scattered throughout the room, yet if you looked closely you could see the outline of objects in the previous room. Gathen floated around the room, with 2 in particular in the center. John and Alyssa floated up to join them, forming the 4 Elemental Families - or at least their leaders:

Earthholders

Windspears

Waterbreathers

Flamesingers 

I love how my computer doesn't consider Flamesinger a misspelled word anymore :P

Topic Number 6,327. I LIKE TRAINS BUT DO YOU MY FRIENDS JOIN THE TRIAN JOIN THOMAS.... or maybe not that topic.

Ryan ducked behind a chair, not really sure why they had to. Until the room changed. What in the name of Aidios? It was like they were in another place, were they? No, the chair was still there, likely everything else was too. There was more people in the room, or were they illusions too?

Their hosts joined two figures at the center, a meeting of some kind then. It was obvious then that he had to listen. He wasn't sure he entirely trusted these people yet, that meant this probably was a good moment to get some information about them besides what they had told them. And so he listened.

Edited by Eluvianii
Ha, I've never even been on a train. (I feel sad now)

Failen found that ducking was hard- instead, he hid as best he could in a shadowy area, watching relying on his being a shadow charmer to hide him from their view. Being unnoticeable was helpful when hiding... He had to suppress the urge to ask what was going on- both his mental magic and human nature urging to ask. He had to distract himself to keep from using the magic instinctively- that would be short-lived and painful, and it would make his magic take even longer to regenerate. He'd used so much just getting here... He shivered. That meant that there was more dark magic in him than light, at the moment. He didn't feel very good about that... it had never happened before. He began pleading with the world that there wouldn't be any unintended consequences of that fact...

"Where have you been?" boomed one of the floating figures. 

"Calm down, Kuthermenal," John responded. It was strange, saying the Gáthen's name. It was extremely traditional, and very far apart from the trend to name children with Human based names. "We all have our hobbies."

"Yes, but we usually share those hobbies with our friends." John turned to Harementh. 

"I didn't realize we were friends."

Harementh bowed his head, and floated back a couple of feet. Kuthermenal, true to his family, didn't back down. "It's only polite that we tell each other when we can't make it to meetings scheduled orbits before."

Alyssa spoke for the first time. "I'm sure he will let you know next time his ship is attacked by Tierath. Assuming, of course, that he wasn't to busy killing said Tierath."

Kuthermenal smirked. "There's the mighty Alyssa, standing up for her boyfriend. How cute."

Alyssa gave a small smile. "I'll tell you three things, one council member to another.  Don't talk back to me, I'm a higher rank than you. I have no romantic intentions with John, and he has none toward me. Three, that insult almost requires me to duel you." She leaned forward to the chastised Gáthen's ear. "And we don't want a dead council member today, now do we? We both know it would be... Nothing more than a pile of earth."

John cleared his throat. "Alyssa. Please step away from Kuthermenal."

She turned. "Of course, mighty Flamesinger." Any sign that they were friends was washed away, they were both professionals.

They began to stare at each other intently, communicating through the mind. 

They're fun... But they are also expensive. Good cookies though. Costco size, no, bigger. And they taste good.

Failen watched, almost trying to reach out and listen. The only reason he didn't do it on accident was because his magic was so low... He barely had any light magic left in his body. It was oddly draining...He hoped that the other people wouldn't notice him. It was a natural ability of all shadow charmers to be able to hide in the shadows, no matter how well-lit the room was, or how weak the darkness was. If he tried, he could hide in a shadow that only barely darkened the color of his skin. It was easy, but... he worried that it might be enough magic that the other Gathen would sense it. After all, he wasn't exactly good at hiding his magic- as the demon he'd met had told him. He just hoped that, because he didn't actively choose to use this magic, it wouldn't be noticed. He tried to resist the temptation to move. That would definitely not help...

This was, just a standard meeting between power figures. The lack of formality was even more astounding, and they were just fighting. It was more familiar than Ryan expected to see in such a different world. Of course, the insults were likely just a greeting, the serious stuff would probably be discussed through that weird communication of theirs so only they would listen. A shame.

They bowed to each other, and John and Alyssa floated back down to the ground, the room returning to normal.

The moment the last parts of the hall disappeared, John opened the door.

"We need to get you the Ruth out of here."

"The Council doesn't exactly care for any non Gathen on planet. We do a sweep to see if there's any Tierath or other species known to work with them. Unfortunately for you, the sweep makes use of large amounts of Yarothu Radiation, which kills humans within a matter of minutes." Alyssa did a last sweep of the room.

"We haven't done one in a while," John continued Alyssa's explanation. "Not for 50 orbits or so. The rest of the Council thought it was due for one, and we couldn't refuse without them getting suspicious." John sighed. "We can't seem to get a moment of rest."

"No, you can't."

Failen shivered. "I wonder how immune I'd be... I'm not entirely human, but I..." He hesitated. "I would... rather we get everyone somewhere safe as soon as possible." He was so glad he'd had so little light magic... It was returning though, thankfully. If slowly. 

John glanced at Failen. He didn't seem to hear the voice, which was coming distinctly outside of John's head. Time seemed to slow, and everyone stopped moving.

"Walk with me a bit, will you John?"

The room seemed to shroud in mist, and all of a sudden, there it was. A figure, not human, not Gathen.

Grey Magic.

They walked down a hallway that extended from nowhere to nowhere.

"Why are you doing this to us? I never asked for it. I just want to return the humans."

"Not yet, though you will get the chance. I'm doing this for a good friend of mine, namely my mother."

"Light Magic." John bowed his head.

"Tell me: Is what Alyssa said to the Council true? That you have no romantic intentions for each other?"

"Of course, why would we?"

Grey Magic stopped walking and looked John straight in the eyes. "Did you know, that most Magics can't see the future? There are of course, some exceptions, but they aren't allowed to vote on any matters inside the council. Some, however, do drop small comments that start rumors... and those rumors end up determining the fate of the Universe." They began walking again.

"Why would that matter to me?"

"There are several rumors swirling about you and your band of Sapians. Too many to be discounted." A wall came up suddenly, stopping them from going any further.

"Visit the Coffin. Tell them what happened. And sharpen your sword. You'll need it."

The world returned to normal, and time resumed.

He turned to Failen. "Yarothu Radiation attacks most Carbon based lifeforms, so I don't think you'll be immune."

Alyssa turned to John. Something was bothering him. And that way he had changed locations - even by a millimeter - in the blink of an eye was disturbing. She would talk to him later. 

"We need to get going. This isn't something that will take long for them to start."

No more conversation... :(

John almost answered the question. Visit the Coffin. Tell them what happened. And sharpen your sword.

"This isn't the time," he said instead. "I'll explain as well as I can when we're not here."

@ShadowLord_Lith @Eluvianii @Sorana @I think I am here.

"Elevator? We have something much better." He motioned them to follow him as he walked down the hall, opening a door to a rooftop. There sat a Winnebago with wings.

Alyssa rolled her eyes. "Why do you like human comedy spoofs so much?"

Somebody better get that reference.

Coming of age... I honestly never thought that it would get this far... Oh Ruth. I'm crying :)

20 hours ago, Sorana said:

We teleported via the Failen express and everyone had to hide when John and Alyssa had a meeting with other Gáthen leadership. The Gáthen are going to sweep the planet with deadly radiation in order to search out any Tierath. John had a vision where he talked with Grey Magic, and now John's trying to get the humans onto a Winnebago with wings (still waiting for someone to get that reference).

@Sorana

Yes, coming of age...

I feel like a part of me gets the reference, but not quite.

Another vehicle --and stranger than the last one, if that was possible--, the last two times that hadn't went well. And trusting his transport to those two was still an idea he didn't very much like, but since the alternative was jumping off a building he couldn't even see the ground from, he went along with it, yet again. 

"Where to now?" asked Ryan.

Edited by Eluvianii
Happy Halloween!

It's from Spaceballs, The Movie.

John's eyes turned towards the sky, easily finding the giant metal Coffin that orbited the massive planet.

"Orbit, high enough where they won't scan," he said. 

How much candy did you get, assuming you went trick or treating.