Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truthwatcher_17.5

Offensive Progression

8 posts in this topic

The surge of progression has two parts growth and regrowth. We’ve mostly seen regrowth in the form of healing and once we’ve seen lift use growth to grow plants. So could you use growth, not regrowth, on a person to age them, as an offensive use of progression. (For the sake of the argument let’s ignore the massive amounts of stormlight that would take.)

It would be easier and more effective I think, if the progression user carried a bag of seeds with them. Face an enemy, tossa handful of seeds and either have them grow into something substantial to distract an enemy or have them grow into entangling Vines to immobilize them. 

56 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

The surge of progression has two parts growth and regrowth. We’ve mostly seen regrowth in the form of healing and once we’ve seen lift use growth to grow plants. So could you use growth, not regrowth, on a person to age them, as an offensive use of progression. (For the sake of the argument let’s ignore the massive amounts of stormlight that would take.)

You are moving someone toward their spiritual ideal.  You can't age them like that unless they think of themselves as older.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

You are moving someone toward their spiritual ideal.  You can't age them like that unless they think of themselves as older.

But moving towards the spiritual ideal is for regrowth, have we seen anything that says the same holds true for growth?

Aging someone isn't easy. Manipulating age, which is part of the spiritweb and isn't easy to change, has so far required something like atium, which is a god-metal, to accomplish. I highly doubt simple healing or Progression would work for it.

I think your best bet would be to carry the seeds of those Drop-dead trees from Edgedancer.  Make them grow, then fall on your enemies.  Or vines to entangle.  Or something with thorns to pierce.

But I do not see any possible efficient application of progression as an offensive ability.  

But this is not a typically offensive ability.  The abrasion surge seems better used for offense abilities.  Make everything frictionless, so they fall and cannot recover.  Or increase the friction of everything, so everything scratches.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:28 PM, RShara said:

Aging someone isn't easy. Manipulating age, which is part of the spiritweb and isn't easy to change, has so far required something like atium, which is a god-metal, to accomplish. I highly doubt simple healing or Progression would work for it.

Your probably right, but on the flip side Roshar has way more abundant Investiture than Scadrial, so the Radiant's are likely to be able to pull off things that would take Shardic intervention on Scadrial.  Elscalling is one example, some radiant's can just Do It, but on Scadrial it takes an actual Shardpool.  Theoretically a Bondsmith has managed a permanent Spiritual change to most of an entire sentient Race, which would take a shard on Scadrial (and specifically one of the Shards that were already heavily Invested by creating those races)