Where people go in highstorms

Impact

So during highstorms, do folks have to go to specific parts of buildings? They talk about buildings being abandoned during storms and people being confined a lot, but so many are stone you’d think they were safe to move around in. 

Spoiler

In Edgedancer when Lift is in the archives, they mention folks going to their assigned stations. They are in a building carved from rock, the whole thing should be safe  

12 minutes ago, Impact said:

So during highstorms, do folks have to go to specific parts of buildings? They talk about buildings being abandoned during storms and people being confined a lot, but so many are stone you’d think they were safe to move around in. 

It is possible that Storms vary in strength.  Additionally few things in homes are more fragile or valuable then human beings so it makes sense to use an extra layer of protection.

36 minutes ago, Karger said:

It is possible that Storms vary in strength.  Additionally few things in homes are more fragile or valuable then human beings so it makes sense to use an extra layer of protection.

But the Pinnacle in the Shattered Plains? Or in Yeddaw?

10 hours ago, Impact said:

But the Pinnacle in the Shattered Plains? Or in Yeddaw?

They also have stormshelters for the homeless, migrant workers, and travelers.  Additionally more wealthy people who can afford it might build extra safe buildings for themselves and their families.

@Karger, I think you are missing my point. I’m confused that people inside the Pinnacle or a giant stone library can’t wander the building in a storm and have to go to a secure bunker. Are these super important buildings not sturdy?

7 minutes ago, Impact said:

, I think you are missing my point. I’m confused that people inside the Pinnacle or a giant stone library can’t wander the building in a storm and have to go to a secure bunker. Are these super important buildings not sturdy?

The pinnacle is probably be oriented the wrong way.  Remember, highstroms always come from the same direction so there is no reason to brace them from the other side.  An underground bunker might make more sense under the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

The pinnacle is probably be oriented the wrong way.  Remember, highstroms always come from the same direction so there is no reason to brace them from the other side.  An underground bunker might make more sense under the circumstances.

The king stays in the highest tower, which would make it seem like it would make sense that the rest of the building is safe. And I know it’s cut into the rock, but why put in the effort to make the place out of stone if it isn’t secure in a storm? It’s not like the building collapses every storm

1 hour ago, Impact said:

@Karger, I think you are missing my point. I’m confused that people inside the Pinnacle or a giant stone library can’t wander the building in a storm and have to go to a secure bunker. Are these super important buildings not sturdy?

It’s important to remember that they’re not contending with just the storm. Often a high storm can hurl boulders around. It would be very expensive to protect an entire building from that eventuality, so they build the entire thing to withstand just the storm and a few safer places that can withstand a 300 pound rock hitting it.

15 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

It’s important to remember that they’re not contending with just the storm. Often a high storm can hurl boulders around. It would be very expensive to protect an entire building from that eventuality, so they build the entire thing to withstand just the storm and a few safer places that can withstand a 300 pound rock hitting it.

That’s a pretty fair explanation I suppose 

1 hour ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

54 minutes ago, Impact said:

That’s a pretty fair explanation I suppose 

Lift is dealing with a rather unusual storm.  It is not unusual for a for parts of a building to break during a storm(remember King Taravangian's granddaughter) so giving everyone an assigned station is generally just a good idea.  A crises during a storm with people moving around in panic would be even worse.

22 minutes ago, Karger said:

Lift is dealing with a rather unusual storm.  It is not unusual for a for parts of a building to break during a storm(remember King Taravangian's granddaughter) so giving everyone an assigned station is generally just a good idea.  A crises during a storm with people moving around in panic would be even worse.

I forgot about that. That’s a good point. Thank you

• Chaos locked this topic