Questions about Discord

I've been thinking about getting discord but would like to know more before I jump in.

What is it like and how is it different from like say reddit or 17thshard?

Stuff you like about it?

Is there anything you dislike about it?

What is the shard discord group like?

Edit: My internet lagged and made two posts. I didn't do it on purpose.

Edited by Datan Nomlibash

Hiya! I love discord!

It's basically Skype, but it actually works. I love how it works, and its super easy to use. It's a chat app, not a forum like Reddit or this site. Best for quick communication and chatting, not really for typing multi-paragraph posts like the Shard is.

You basically join servers (like the Shard one) and that server has channels where you can chat. It also has a voice chat, and webcam as well for you to stream your screen with friends or video chat. It's more used for gaming, honestly.

I'm not on the Shard discord (i'm in too many servers and wouldn't chat much in a huge server like the Shard's is), but I bet it is lovely. 

• 1 month later...
On 7.07.2019 at 0:58 AM, Kestrel said:

I'm not on the Shard discord (i'm in too many servers and wouldn't chat much in a huge server like the Shard's is), but I bet it is lovely. 

Our server has a lot of people, but only a handful are actually regularly active, so come and join us :D

I personally use 17Shard discord for only social talks, as I don't really care that much about Cosmere theories and book discussions. It's great place to just hang out with friends, talk some nonsense, have some laugh or basically talk about whatever you want. As I said, I mainly frequent the social channels, but there is a bunch of book related ones, where is a lot happening.

The only downside of Discord is that it's sometimes hard to catch up after the night with what was discussed. Especially since during my night most of the Americans are active and chatty. 

Before Discord I was really active on the social part of the forums and now I'm basically only hanging out on Discord. So to me, it's just an event better place to talk about whatever with the Sharders :)

• 2 weeks later...