Spider-man Far From Home

Warning, beware of huge spoilers for the movie.

I just got back from watching Far From Home and loved it!!! I am proud to say that I predicted that the Elementals were illusions the whole time (Mysterio was far too good to be true) although I dunno how predictable that was. I really liked how they included all of those scientists that got mistreated by Tony Stark and Co. in former movies. And sticking JJJ in the end credits was great!

One of the main things I took from this movie is this (although I haven’t watched Agents of Shield yet and may just not have noticed it in other movies so this probably isn’t a new thing)-

Anyone: says anything at all

Maria:

3D3EA936-6589-4EAA-8EDB-AA04F06412F9.jpeg.9461aa3fab791d7e09d554875a3f8627.jpeg

So, yeah, that’s everything from off the top of my head at the moment. Anyone else have any thoughts/comments/questions about FFH?

I thought it was not much better than "fine". At best, "pretty good".

Of course the elementals were fake, and it sort of stretched disbelief, but sure. Even after death there's another Tony superweapon with another Spider-Man villain being a disgruntled Stark employee. Eh. It felt a bit predictable because the Mysterio reveal was obvious if anyone said "he's a villain!" 

There were definitely good parts, like when Spider-Man is in the illusions, and the last battle, but it wasn't nearly as good as Homecoming to me. 

I felt that it was very zeitgeisty, but I enjoyed it. As Chaos said, it was definitely not as good as the first one, but Tom Holland and Zendaya continue to shine in their respective roles. I think the take on Mysterio was really interesting, but it could have been fleshed out a bit more.

Overall, a decent movie that took an interesting idea and ran with it. I don’t particularly know how well it will hold up on future viewings in years to come, but I worry that it won’t.

Okay, honesty, I loved Far From Home. I don’t cry in movies, but I came back home and literally sobbed into my pillow because I NEED ANSWERS, MARVEL. 

Peter and MJ. So cute. Just... the best. They’re so awkward and wholesome and their relationship makes me internally weep tears of joy. And to think that they almost got their happy ending... that killed me. Cue the sounds of intense agony. 

Half of the duration of the movie, I didn’t know whether I wanted to laugh or cry. Everyone was like, “Oh, remember when Tony...”, and I was thinking, “YES. Yes, I remember. Because he was— and still is— my favorite character, so of course I remember every little bit. Thank you for bringing that up, but at the same time, how dare you make me relive my pain.” 

...especially when Peter got EDITH. “Even dead, I’m the hero.” It’s just such a classic, Tony-style line. I loved it, and I loved the idea of Peter becoming the next Iron Man. The father-son-teacher-mentor parallels between Peter and Tony are amazing. 

Speaking of, I almost screamed when they started playing “Back In Black”. I don’t think I was the only one, either. The way that Happy looked at Peter when Peter was designing a suit... he loved his boss, and working with (not for) Peter is bringing him back, in a sense. 

Also, Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome. Just going to throw that in there. I hate Mysterio with a passion, but Gyllenhaal did a really good job with the character. 

When the next Spider-Man movie comes out (which is way too long, in my opinion, but I seriously can’t wait for the Black Widow movie), here’s what I want to see:

The scene opens, and Peter knocks on the door to the Stark residence with Happy standing behind him. We hear a chair screeching against the floor as it’s pushed against the door, and a little girl looks through the eyehole. “Mommy!” calls Morgan Stark. “Uncle Happy’s here, and someone else, too!” 

Pepper opens the door— after ensuring that her daughter is safely out of the way, don’t worry— and immediately crushes Peter in a hug. “Are you okay?” she asks with concern. She’s seen the news, and even if she doesn’t know the kid that well, Tony talked about him enough to the point where she absolutely knows that he would never murder Mysterio in cold blood. 

“I’m fine,” says Peter, even though he’s clearly lying. Pepper invites him in before greeting Happy, who’s been incredibly busy, so she hasn’t seen him in a while. 

Edit: I forgot to mention my love for Tom Holland. He makes the perfect Peter Parker, and he’s adorable and gorgeous and I could talk for hours about how amazing he is. 

Sorry, I’ve gotta cut this rant short— going to see the movie again. :P 

Edited by Ashspren

I really loved the movie. It is a lot better than Homecoming, which I find pretty boring after several viewings. The action in FFH is MUCH better (that Mysterio sequence was awesome). I also like that MJ got a bigger role here. 

My favorite part was Mysterio though. I loved the character, and Gyllenhaals performance as Beck. I sincerely hope he is still alive, and returns in future movies. 

It also gets extra points for having Talos. 

Edited by Toaster Retribution

So I have seen in other places that a big complaint about Spider-man Far From Home is that the reveal for Mysterio being the villain is obvious. That all you have to do is google the character, or hear the name and you would know he has to be a bad guy. And I get that, but that is because Marvel stuck to the canon of the comic book. This is literally how Mysterio first appeared in the comic books. He was a special effects engineer on movie sets. He wanted to become a big name, so his plan was to defeat and capture spider-man. He used his knowledge of special effects to frame spider-man as a criminal, and he would pretend to be a superhero to defeat him. So yeah everyone knew what was going to happen to Mysterio, because that is literally the villain's origin story. I think Marvel did a great job sticking to it, and was very clever keeping people guessing with the "alternate reality" line in the trailers.

I've seen it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. I'm not sure if this really makes sense to anyone but me but Homecoming was a better Spider-Man movie while Far From Home was a better movie about Spider-Man...if that makes sense. 

I LOVE Zendaya's MJ, moreso than the Raimi MJ (the classical/ideal approach) or Amazing Spider-Man's Gwen Stacy (the Lost Lenore). She's quirky, weird, and just plain DIFFERENT than all other versions I've seen and I really enjoy that. 

Mysterio's twist didn't fool me, especially given the character's history and some of the synopsis leaks I heard about. But he did fool my parents when they saw it and I like how his story was kind of meta. The MCU seeing audience - ESPECIALLY if they've seen Into the Spider-Verse or watched CW's The Flash - is ready to accept multiple realities after Endgame. And Beck saying "I'm a good version of this character you know" is a nice way to raise some doubt in our "he's obviously evil" mindset. It didn't work for everyone, but it was a fun mind game to see played.

Overall I really, REALLY liked this movie. And then the post-credit scenes happened and they changed the game. Big stuff for Peter, potentially big stuff for the MCU as a whole.

Far From Home serves as another solid entry in the MCU and for Spider-Man as a character, and is a nice little epilogue for Tony Stark's character.

A few thoughts:

The movie was enjoyable. Good not great. My biggest gripe with it had more to do with the theater than the movie itself, it was way too loud.

JK Simmons back as J Jonas Jameson; STORMS YES! The trilogy from the early 2000's had 11 million problems, but that was a perfect casting, I'm really glad Marvel realized that. It was honestly my favorite thing In Far From Home.

It seems they are mixing Flash Thompson/Harry Osbourne. One the one hand, awesome, give me that Agent Venom. And I'm glad they aren't just rebooting Harry Osbourne/Peter friendship into Hobgoblin/Spiderman again but it is a little... weird.

Edited by The Sovereign

2 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

A few thoughts:

The movie was enjoyable. Good not great. My biggest gripe with it had more to do with the theater than the movie itself, it was way too loud.

JK Simmons back as J Jonas Jameson; STORMS YES! The trilogy from the early 2000's had 11 million problems, but that was a perfect casting, I'm really glad Marvel realized that. It was honestly my favorite thing In Far From Home.

It seems they are mixing Flash Thompson/Harry Osbourne. One the one hand, awesome, give me that Agent Venom. And I'm glad they aren't just rebooting Harry Osbourne/Peter friendship into Hobgoblin/Spiderman again but it is a little... weird.

What makes you say they are merging Flash Thompson/Harry Osbourne? Just wondering if there was something I missed in the movie. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

What makes you say they are merging Flash Thompson/Harry Osbourne? Just wondering if there was something I missed in the movie. Thanks!

First there is the early relationship where Flash is bullying Peter but obsessed with Spiderman and then in the airport at the end there is the comment about Flash's mother not being able to make it that is reminiscent of Norman's neglectful relationship with Harry. Both more closely resemble Harry Osborne than any iteration of Flash Thompson that I remember.

2 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

First there is the early relationship where Flash is bullying Peter but obsessed with Spiderman and then in the airport at the end there is the comment about Flash's mother not being able to make it that is reminiscent of Norman's neglectful relationship with Harry. Both more closely resemble Harry Osborne than any iteration of Flash Thompson that I remember.

Well in the comics Flash did bully Peter when they were younger, and then idolized Spider-man. Harry Odbourne loved Peter but hated Spider-man. But I can see what you are getting at, and it would be an interesting turn to merge the two. I also would love to see Agent Venom on the big screen, but not sure how they would fit in Flash going off to war and losing his legs. Unless they cut that. The big thing both my wife and I are hoping for, but probably will never happen is for them to have Tom Holland's Spider-man opposite a rated R Carnage. I think Tom's innocence juxtaposed to Clettus Cassidy's utter homicidal madness could make for an incredibly gripping movie. But I doubt Disney would let that happen. 

Absolutely heartbroken that Ned and Betty didn't remain a couple at the end, but I'm glad they were both mature enough to remain friends even after the breakup.

The whole Mysterio subplot by comparison felt like a hamfisted method to make sure Peter (is that his name?) doesn't become Ned's awkward third wheel, which would have gotten annoying fast. It was okay, though. Didn't really have the same emotional impact as the ups and downs of Ned/Betty's relationship, but subplots rarely do. One could interpret Mysterio's bitter angsting over Stark to be a dark parallel for how Ned and Betty could have allowed their breakup to turn into something dark that ruins their friendship, thus making the subplot more of a cautionary tale on letting a bad breakup sour your worldview, but I feel like this message would have been stronger if Ned and Betty had been able to confront him face to face and give a heartfelt speech on why he's wrong.

Really hoping the third Ned movie gives Flash some more time in the spotlight, as he's easily one of the deepest and most underrated characters in the franchise. His inner struggles with his pleas for attention and his lack of self confidence about his videos make for some of the most compelling cinema I've seen in years.

#flashmob

14 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

First there is the early relationship where Flash is bullying Peter but obsessed with Spiderman more closely resemble Harry Osborne than any iteration of Flash Thompson that I remember.

Wait, what? Flash bullying Peter and being obsessed with Spiderman is one of the main Flash traits, from what I've seen. Admittedly I'm mainly thinking of Ultimate Spider-Man, the Disney show, and I haven't seen the older movies recently, but that's always been something I strongly associate with Flash.

Like people have said, Mysterio was obvious. Although honestly I thought his story was partially true but he was just evil from another dimension, which honestly kind of annoyed me cause I feel like that has too much potential for abuse in the MCU.

Also I didn't like that the spoilers showed M.J. figuring out Peter's identity.

That's all.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:02 AM, Pathfinder said:

So I have seen in other places that a big complaint about Spider-man Far From Home is that the reveal for Mysterio being the villain is obvious. That all you have to do is google the character, or hear the name and you would know he has to be a bad guy. And I get that, but that is because Marvel stuck to the canon of the comic book. This is literally how Mysterio first appeared in the comic books. He was a special effects engineer on movie sets. He wanted to become a big name, so his plan was to defeat and capture spider-man. He used his knowledge of special effects to frame spider-man as a criminal, and he would pretend to be a superhero to defeat him. So yeah everyone knew what was going to happen to Mysterio, because that is literally the villain's origin story. I think Marvel did a great job sticking to it, and was very clever keeping people guessing with the "alternate reality" line in the trailers.

I definitely see what you're saying that Marvel sticking to its guns on Mysterio's character here, and I think that's valid. However, I personally felt this made the plot feel quite generic and by-the-numbers. It was enjoyable, but predictable. 

I was talking to my girlfriend and she actually didn't know Mysterio was a villain, and she even still found the idea that Mysterio being a villain was extremely obvious. That was pretty crazy to me because I thought I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if I somehow never knew Mysterio would be a villain, but she felt basically the same as I did with that lack of knowledge. 

I guess I just didn't love the movie much because its plot was so predictable. Every scene was enjoyable but it never exceeded the sum of its parts. 

I liked the end credit scenes, and loved Mysterio's final video. I thought Jake's acting, especially when he was being unhinged, was excellent. The Talos reveal was good. Peter making the suit was good. Like Homecoming, they nail the high school interactions. But I can't help but feel that I literally never will watch this movie again, whereas I would happily watch Homecoming again. It's very interesting to see a lot of people in this thread really love it. That's totally fine. I know a lot of people love Guardians 2 but I also felt that it was not as good as Guardians 1. I like strong, interesting plots, and I felt Far From Home was super mundane--and I felt Guardians 2 was too bloated and not tight enough. 

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

I was talking to my girlfriend and she actually didn't know Mysterio was a villain, and she even still found the idea that Mysterio being a villain was extremely obvious. That was pretty crazy to me because I thought I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if I somehow never knew Mysterio would be a villain, but she felt basically the same as I did with that lack of knowledge. 

I guess I just didn't love the movie much because its plot was so predictable. Every scene was enjoyable but it never exceeded the sum of its parts. 

I think that even though its pretty obvious, and even though you know that he is evil (I went in knowing that he would be the villain) the reveal is pulled off in such a great way. How the room changes, and how Becks behavior changes, how Gyllenhaal drastically changes his acting. I think that was a really great moment, and caught me a little off-guard, even though I knew it was coming. 

On 7/6/2019 at 0:18 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Mysterio is a Lightweaver. 

A supremely bad one who is currently at the -1st ideal.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:39 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

I really loved the movie. It is a lot better than Homecoming, which I find pretty boring after several viewings. The action in FFH is MUCH better (that Mysterio sequence was awesome). I also like that MJ got a bigger role here. 

My favorite part was Mysterio though. I loved the character, and Gyllenhaals performance as Beck. I sincerely hope he is still alive, and returns in future movies. 

It also gets extra points for having Talos. 

Yup

On 7/8/2019 at 2:34 PM, Use the Falchion said:

I've seen it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. I'm not sure if this really makes sense to anyone but me but Homecoming was a better Spider-Man movie while Far From Home was a better movie about Spider-Man...if that makes sense. 

I LOVE Zendaya's MJ, moreso than the Raimi MJ (the classical/ideal approach) or Amazing Spider-Man's Gwen Stacy (the Lost Lenore). She's quirky, weird, and just plain DIFFERENT than all other versions I've seen and I really enjoy that. 

Thank you.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, The Sovereign said:

I personally see flash as a more realistic bully and high school student then previous iterations as apposed to any attempt to merge characters. 

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I think that even though its pretty obvious, and even though you know that he is evil (I went in knowing that he would be the villain) the reveal is pulled off in such a great way. How the room changes, and how Becks behavior changes, how Gyllenhaal drastically changes his acting. I think that was a really great moment, and caught me a little off-guard, even though I knew it was coming. 

I suppose it was dampened for me because it was yet another disgruntled Stark employee and yet another Tony superweapon. I didn't really like how we had flashbacks to old movies, like with the BARF and insert Gyllenhaal in there. It felt a little much.

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

I definitely see what you're saying that Marvel sticking to its guns on Mysterio's character here, and I think that's valid. However, I personally felt this made the plot feel quite generic and by-the-numbers. It was enjoyable, but predictable. 

I liked the end credit scenes, and loved Mysterio's final video. I thought Jake's acting, especially when he was being unhinged, was excellent. The Talos reveal was good. Peter making the suit was good. Like Homecoming, they nail the high school interactions. But I can't help but feel that I literally never will watch this movie again, whereas I would happily watch Homecoming again. It's very interesting to see a lot of people in this thread really love it. That's totally fine. I know a lot of people love Guardians 2 but I also felt that it was not as good as Guardians 1. I like strong, interesting plots, and I felt Far From Home was super mundane--and I felt Guardians 2 was too bloated and not tight enough. 

I could see that, and totally get it didn't work for you. I think I just enjoyed Jake's acting as Beck so much the plot didn't really bother me. I think part of it was I was also concerned that Marvel was going to try and turn him into an actual good guy as a double fake out. As in hey Mysterio is a good guy, but everyone knows he is a bad guy, but turns out he really is a good guy! So it ends up with me being happy they stuck to him being a bad guy. I think part of the problem is how do you introduce Mysterio, keep to his origin, and not have it be hamfisted? The only way I could think of is have him genuinely be around in the background and develop him as a character in prior movies, and then in this movie have the big reveal. The problem is, the moment you name him, people will know what he will become. It is like Gotham when they introduce Edward Nigma. Admittedly I largely didn't watch Gotham, but I feel like if I did, half the time I would just be sitting there like "so is this when they are going to have him go bad?". Are they going to try and make up more backstory, and shove in a tragedy to make his turn to villainhood seem tragic? The other alternative is give him a completely different name, and then have it suddenly revealed that he is actually Beck, and changed his name. I forget where, but I feel another show or movie did that, and that to me felt like a cop out. Wait, was that Star Trek when everyone knew it was Khan, but they claimed up down and all around it wasn't till he in the movie he ended up saying it was? I dunno. Whole lot of question, especially considering I have no idea where Marvel is going to take the future. Like Pikachu said, twisty, very twisty lol. 

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Definitely agree Jake's acting is what sold Mysterio the most to me. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I suppose it was dampened for me because it was yet another disgruntled Stark employee and yet another Tony superweapon. I didn't really like how we had flashbacks to old movies, like with the BARF and insert Gyllenhaal in there. It felt a little much.

I actually liked the flashbacks, despite the insane level of cheesiness about them. It really hit home the theme that Spider-Man's story is also Iron Man's epilogue. The two are linked in a way I find very gratifying, so the flashbacks to explain the characters and the villains and the tech felt...if not earned, then at least well placed. 

As for the Tony superweapon...yeah, I can see that. It didn't bother me really because the drones were simply drones, controlled by someone else, but I can definitely see where you're coming from (and to make it worse, in the meta-sense it was yet another CGI mook army!)