Dalinar: Next Vessel of Honor

It’s not unprecedented for major characters to take ups shards and I think Dalinar would be an EXCELLENT candidate for Honor.  He is bonded to the single biggest piece of Honor, the Stormfather, and this bond is more complete then that of previous bondsmiths.  From a storytelling perspective Dalinar is also being set up to be Odium’s archnemisis so of course we would want him to hold the power of a shard. We do have WoB on the subject though of course it was RAFOed.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

A bunch of people think Dalinar either has already ascended(briefly when swearing the third ideal) or will ascend at some point in the future.

He did not fully Ascend but I think he accessed enough of Honor's power to become a Sliver, like

Spoiler

Vin at the Well of Ascension, accessing part of Preservation's power but not all of it.

this is supported by Odium explicitly using the term "Ascend" (with capital) when talking to Taravagian.

And I think it's likely he will end up fully Ascending at some point, possibly at the end of book 5.

33 minutes ago, QuantumSpren said:

I hope that at the end of all this he becomes a new shard by mixing the powers of all three shards to become "Unity". 

I don't.  Most of the intent combinations I can think of give something fairly nasty not unity.

4 hours ago, QuantumSpren said:

I hope that at the end of all this he becomes a new shard by mixing the powers of all three shards to become "Unity". 

I firmly believe that "Unity" is just Honor reinterpreted. 

I think there are plenty of hints and evidence pointing towards Dalinar Ascending and taking up Honor in the future, which is why I strongly believe it won't happen.  Brandon isn't the type of writer to be that obvious with his biggest plot points, and isn't afraid of being purposefully misleading with them

Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

Much like the way we are led to believe Vin is going to be the Hero of Ages, right up until the very end of MB era 1.

Whoever does pick it up (if anyone) will make perfect sense in hindsight, with plenty of subtle clues to support it, and it will still blindside all of us :lol:

Another idea I think “you” in this WoB could easily be Honor, a shard we know Odium has killed, and Odium would certainly be worried to see him back.

Hoidonalsium

So, there's a whole lot of things that happen in a very short period of time when Dalinar brings the worlds together. "We killed you" from Odium. Who is "we" and who is "you"?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

On 5/18/2019 at 2:46 AM, LerasiumMistborn said:

I think, it just means that Kaladin will become Honor. So, no real descendant of Tanavast, more like successor of Honor/Tanavast power. New Honor. 

Context: this was in regard to a child of Tanavast thread

I could definitely see this working to, it would fit while not being the obvious choice which Brandon likes.

While I am seriously in the Dalinar Ascends camp, it just feels way too obvious this early in the series.

‘Mistborn’ below.

Spoiler

When Sazed ended up Ascending in ’Mistborn’ Era 1, to me at least, it wasn’t an outcome that I had even considered.

Personally I have high hopes for The Lopen.

Roshar is kind of like the central transit hub of the Cosmere, right? I'm betting that "Unite them" was meant on all levels: Alethi Princedoms, Rosharan kingdoms, Radiant Orders and, eventually, shards/shardworlds. I think Dalinar, as Unity, will bring the shards together for one cosmere-spanning conflict. 

If Mistborn is fantasy Ocean's Eleven, then Stormlight Archive is fantasy Avengers. 

"There was an idea...The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to to fight the battles we never could." -Nick Fury

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, QuantumSpren said:

Honor and Odium, now that would be cool. Odium and Cultivation, still pretty cool. Honor and Cultivation, eh.

But all three? That would be about as lame a chull dipped in crem.

I think "I am Unity" is two things

First, it is an expression, in a word, of what an ideal Bondsmith is. 

Second, I am going to call it a 6th Oath. This oath will let him fill some of the role that the Heralds filled. 

Honor will be held, by a fellowship of 10 mortals. If part of the fellowship dies, or retires, others can take their place. It will be able to do what the Heralds could not. 

This fellowship will probably be the main char of each of the ten books. So, at some point, I expect Kaladin, Shallan, Jasnah and Lift, to make similar statements. 

The ONLY problem with this is everyone sees it coming, unless everyone seeing it makes them think it won't happen and then it does happen and the surprise is that it did! Ahem little rant out of the way I think it is MUCH more likely that Dalinar would become the missing Herald after the one guy died at the end of Oathbringer.

13 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

This fellowship will probably be the main char of each of the ten books. So, at some point, I expect Kaladin, Shallan, Jasnah and Lift, to make similar statements. 

I might be slightly misinterpreting this, but, uh, neither Jasnah or Lift are the main characters of one of the ten books.

Venli is four, Szeth is five. the old heralds have the second set.

On 7/27/2019 at 0:45 PM, RayOfSunshine said:

I might be slightly misinterpreting this, but, uh, neither Jasnah or Lift are the main characters of one of the ten books.

Venli is four, Szeth is five. the old heralds have the second set.

The below is correct

On 7/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, Solant said:

Lift, Renarin, Jasnah, Ash, and Taln for the second set. I forget the order.

Questioner

The second set of The Stormlight Archive. Is that the same characters? Or different ones, like you did with Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson

They are same characters, but we're gonna see a few main characters fade to being secondary characters. The ones that survive. And we're gonna see a few minor characters fade to be-- The structure of The Stormlight Archiveis: one flashback sequence per book, and a focus on one of the Orders of Knights Radiant per book, and I've already announced who these all are, though I have secrets that pertain to them. Our next two books are Eshonai and Szeth. But, of course, Eshonai is dead. We're gonna see flashbacks from her viewpoint that inform our "now," but I haven't promised that these characters all live. Does that makes sense?

But our back five are Lift, when she's grown up. It'll be about ten years later. I haven't gotten the exact date yet.

Questioner

Is she alive, or a grown-up ghost?

Brandon Sanderson

...If she survives! *laughter* It will be Lift, Renarin, Taln, Ash, and Jasnah. So, yes, your main characters-- some of them are main characters. People who aren't on that list will still-- some of them will have big chunks of the stories. Just like you will notice that there's a big chunk of Kaladin in Book 4, even though it's Eshonai's book. So, that will happen. But I'm not making any promises about who survives and who doesn't.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)