Charged Metalminds and Chemical Reactions

Elsecaller_17.5

Are charged feurachemical  metalminds immune or resistant to corrosion? My thought is yes because from a chemistry standpoint I imagine the stored attribute taking up the valance electron slots that are necessary for a chemical reaction to occur. Does anyone have a counterargument?

Although we do know that the physical properties of invested objects are slightly different from there univested counterparts(infused gemstones weigh more due to conservation of mass for example) we have no evidence that any chemical change results.  Why on earth would you think that investing a metal would alter it chemically?

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Although we do know that the physical properties of invested objects are slightly different from there univested counterparts(infused gemstones weigh more due to conservation of mass for example) we have no evidence that any chemical change results.  Why on earth would you think that investing a metal would alter it chemically?

Well rust is iron oxide a chemical reaction where the iron valence electrons are pulled off to fill the empty slots. We never hear about people worried about their metalminds corroding and the only way that chemical reaction could be prevented is if those electrons were doing something else. I’m not saying that the iron would be changed chemically, just that it extra electrons would be cut off so it couldn’t change.

Edited by Truthwatcher_17.5

1 hour ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

their metal man bds corroding and the only way that chemical reaction could be prevented is if those electrons were doing something else.

Metalminds do corrode and degrade over time.

28 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Do we have a WoB on that?

We have implication.  Metalminds can be melted

ntdfbladez (paraphrased)

If a metalmind is melted down and changes shape, does it still retain its power?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, only by mixing it with other metals would the power be completely lost. Also if any pieces of the metalmind are lost, then some of the power will be lost (as it would be in the missing pieces).

And they do suffer ordinary where and tear.

Let's say half-canon. Wear and tear being used as metalminds, not counting clasping them on and things like that. Simply tapping or taking out?  I would say no, but I would really have to think about that.  Are we losing any particles to the transfer, the change?  I don't think you are, but I don't know.  I'd have to really dig into the physics of that.  I had not even considered of that.  There are ramifications of things...So I'm going to say no, half-canon.

I can see no reason why they would not degrade chemically as well.

11 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Are charged feurachemical  metalminds immune or resistant to corrosion? My thought is yes because from a chemistry standpoint I imagine the stored attribute taking up the valance electron slots that are necessary for a chemical reaction to occur. Does anyone have a counterargument?

I really doubt it. I think they probably just take good care of their metalminds, in the cases where it matters (probably just iron and maybe zinc and steel - I don't think we know the exact alloy of Allomantic steel).

Investiture is, in the cosmere, a "third state" separate from matter and energy, that can be interconverted. I don't think the investiture is going to be taking up valence electrons, which would essentially mean an Investiture/metal chemical reaction. I think the storage is going to happen on a different level (different Realm? Investiture is a Spiritual attribute...) from the Physical electrons and other particles making up the metal.

The kind of destructive rust iron suffers from is actually pretty unusual among metals. Copper and likely brass/bronze (I don't think we know the specific Allomantic alloy used and the terms brass/bronze can cover a fairly wide range of compositions) are going to tarnish some, but that's just a surface effect - the main mass of the metalmind won't be affected. (The tarnish layer can actually be protective.) Tin is fairly corrosion resistant. Gold doesn't generally corrode in the first place. Atium is supposed to be platinum group-esque so it shouldn't either.

8 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

We never hear about people worried about their metalminds corroding

Iron at least is probably fairly "easy come/easy go" since storing is at least as useful as tapping, so losing a tiny fraction of the stored weight to rust is probably not terribly troubling.

I don't think we've seen anyone keep a charged zincmind around for very long (Sazed stores it up before the final fight in Well of Ascension, have we ever seen it used any other time?) So maybe they do take a lot of precautions for that one.

• Chaos locked this topic