Nightblood's perpendicularity

Chiberty

1. Nightblood is the most invested thing in the cosmere other than shards

2. A perpendicularity is a result of large amounts of concentrated investiture 

3. First of the Sun has a perpendicularity, but is not directly influenced by a shard (not sure how this works with Patji, but it's a WoB)

I might be wrong, but what this looks like to me is that Nightblood has more investiture than First of the Sun's Shardpool, and therefore should also have his own perpendicularity. Have we seen this perpendicularity? Is there a reason that it seems to not have a perpendicularity?

(Also I would add links to these WoBs, but I can't without more posts)

Edited by ChickenLiberty

Nightblood is one of the most invested objects in the cosmere, not necessarily the most invested, other than Shards.

FotS's perpendicularity is related to Autonomy, Patji is an avatar of Autonomy.

I'm not sure how 1 and 2 lead to 3, though?

Questioner

Is Nightblood a minor Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the cosmere that is not a Shard.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

<snip>

Chaos

Are you saying here that Patji is an avatar of Autonomy, or is it a separate Shard and not an avatar of Autonomy?

Brandon Sanderson

When I said Patji was a Shard, I was meaning Automony--but it is not quite that simple.

Take this post to mean "no, you should not be looking toward another Shard for Patji's origins. Autonomy is the one relevant." But Autonomy's relationships with entities like this (not sure entity is the right word, even) is complex. I'm not trying to confuse the issue, though.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/315/#e9385

5 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

First of the Sun has a perpendicularity, but is not directly influenced by a shard (not sure how this works with Patji, but it's a WoB)

All investiture, and all matter/energy by extension, is assigned to one of the 16 shards. But that doesn't mean they control all of it, there's a great deal of ambient investiture that is technically speaking part of/assigned to the shards, but practically its just wild investiture. So the perpendicularity on First of the Sun is made from this ambient investiture. So it is influenced by one of the shards, via Patji, but would have existed without said influence to begin with.

As for Nightblood vs perpendicularity, this is just my interpretation, but I assume when Brandon said things he meant singular objects/entities. Perpendicularities on the other hand are more like weather phenomena, so he may not have been counting that. Also, most perpenduclarities belong to a shard, and he may have not been thinking about the one on First of the Sun.

Here are the WoBs I was referring to:

Spoiler

Questioner

What about [Nightblood] compared to a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood compared to a Shardpool? Depends on the Pool.

So forget my Patji reference--I had forgotten about the above WoB. I took this one to mean that he is more invested than some Shardpools.

Spoiler

Mason Wheeler

Nightblood is the most ridiculously over-invested thing in the Cosmere, second only to the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Hmm... Is it possible that Nightblood does have a perpendicularity and that is why he can destroy on all three realms at once?

Edited by ChickenLiberty
Found more applicable WoB

1 hour ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Hmm... Is it possible that Nightblood does have a perpendicularity and that is why he can destroy on all three realms at once?

That makes sense I suppose.  Nightblood is so heavily invested that he can hit your cognitive spiritual and physical self simultaneously.

Perpendicularities are locations where the three Realms get pinched down and/or squished together enough that the boundaries blur and things can pass between them.  Massive concentrations of Investiture are one way (likely the most common way, a possibly the only "naturally occurring" way) for that to happen, acting sort of like a realmic gravity well. But are not the only method to create them since a Radiant's Elsecalling surge is also creating a small perpendicularity using normal quantities of stormlight.  

3 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Makes as much sense as anything.  Though now that we have WOB confirmation that Nightblood has a whole bunch of Ruin in him, it may not be necessary.  

Well we don't have any objective measurements of how much investiture is contained in Patji's perpendicularity or in Nightblood. But not all concentrations of investiture result in perpendicularities.

Questioner

In the cosmere we've seen Investiture manifest in different ways all across the systems. So I was wondering, when it comes to the powers of Dalinar, is it possible for that power to open a Perpendicularity anywhere, say on Scadrial or any different planet? In a different way, where you could potentially combine all the Realms, open the doors for the Realms.

Brandon Sanderson

Let me say this very carefully. I'm being recorded now... Any time where you gather the right amount of Investiture in the right way, you are going to have kind of a version of a cosmere singularity, right? Which is where you are pulling the different Realms together into a kind of-- you are piercing between them with a large amount of Investiture. So what's happening with Dalinar is both the bug and the feature at the same time. But it is not necessarily the only way. And once things are kind of, once the Spiritual Realm is being involved, time and space don't mean anything anymore on the Spiritual Realm. That's your answer.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

So Nightblood's concentration isn't set up in the right way to form a perpendicularity.

51 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

Or it is and this is how he destroys in all three Realms :ph34r:

He's like a Shardblade 2.0. All Shardblades cut on all three Realms. Nightblood just also destroys on all three Realms. I suspect it has to do with his chunk of Ruin, myself.

When Brandon said that Nightblood contains some of Ruin's investiture, what did he mean? Doesn't all investiture consumed by him just revert back into raw investiture?

EDIT: Also, do other shardblades cut the cognitive aspect too?

Edited by ChickenLiberty

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

If Ruins power is to steal other shards powers, then could Sazed absorb alittle of each shard and have all Uncle Andy's powers?

Ruin's power isn't to steal or absorb other Shard's powers, though. Ruin is the essential entropy of the universe. Anyone with sufficient Connection, in the right place and time, can absorb an unheld Shard's power. Witness Sazed, Kelsier...

38 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

When Brandon said that Nightblood contains some of Ruin's investiture, what did he mean? Doesn't all investiture consumed by him just revert back into raw investiture?

When Nightblood was created, the Command "Destroy Evil" and whatever visualization Shashara had, and who knows what other factors, caused a chunk of Ruinous investiture to be incorporated into Nightblood. And as time went on, as he consumed investiture, he kept some part of everything he destroyed, growing slowly stronger.

Yes, all Shardblades cut on all three Realms. They first cut the Spiritual/Cognitive, then the Physical (or maybe first the Spiritual, then the Cognitve/Physical). Nightblood just vaporizes instead of simply cutting.

Edited by RShara

From my understanding when Nightblood consumes investiture, he converts it into investiture that cannot be used by Shards or others. 

Like investiture is positive and Nightblood consumes it and turns it negative.

That's how I took the two contradicting WoB.

Dont ask me to search them, I'm crap at that. Lol

On 7/10/2019 at 0:22 AM, ChickenLiberty said:

What he said was this, and I think he was referring specifically to the theory that @RShara mentioned about the "Destroy Evil" Command provdiving a Connection to Ruin, specifically.   

Walin

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic