Belonging to multiple orders

14 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I took this as a reference to how Dalinar faces a similar time-constraint when he uses his surges to repair an inanimate object, not a referenc to his own generic Radiant healing, but I could easily be wrong.  

I guess it could be read that way, but personally it sounds to me that he is speaking of personal stormlight healing compared to Renarin's regrowth healing. 

14 minutes ago, Quantus said:

This makes sense too, in that I fully expect her to be unable to heal herself even if she became radiant.  To be clear the theory is that Self-image will still override and prevent healing if the person has accepted it, regardless of time.  It's just that, per the passage you quoted, Regrowth used on somebody else seems to also be limited to recent injuries.

Well unable to heal herself as a radiant until she moves past her injury like the bridgeman squire that was able to heal his shardblade injured legs. Personally I theorize that once she decided to set sail and embrace the desire for traveling within her despite her injury, she will learn to move past it, and if she bonds a spren, or ends up needing healing for some other wound, she will end up completely healed and able to walk.

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

Lopen managed to regrow his arm despite it being months at least since he lost it.

Yep, because as per Brandon, Lopen never accepted that he was disabled. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Yep, because as per Brandon, Lopen never accepted that he was disabled. 

So it is theoretically possible for Rysn to regain her legs via a deep change in attitude.

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

So it is theoretically possible for Rysn to regain her legs via a deep change in attitude.

Deep change in attitude and access to Stormlight.  Jury's out on whether Regrowth would still work years after the initial injury.  

30 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Deep change in attitude and access to Stormlight.  Jury's out on whether Regrowth would still work years after the initial injury.  

Access will not be a problem if she continues to associate with Radiants.  Regrowth is no different from taking in stormlight yourself.

Although neither a "smoking gun" WoB, i feel both imply that stormlight and progression work the same way:

Questioner

Would [healing] something like a birth defect, would that require somebody to have Regrowth, or can they do it with just stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how they envision themselves.

Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

Questioner

How did Kaladin heal his shardblade wound without the power of Regrowth?

Brandon Sanderson

That's partially a RAFO. Remember that healing in the cosmere usually has to do with how you view yourself. And as long as there is some outpouring of Investiture you are usually capable of healing. More the weird thing is not that Kaladin healed it's that Szeth couldn't.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

On 7/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, Pathfinder said:

Although neither a "smoking gun" WoB, i feel both imply that stormlight and progression work the same way:

Questioner

Would [healing] something like a birth defect, would that require somebody to have Regrowth, or can they do it with just stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how they envision themselves.

Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

Honestly I read this one in particular as the opposite of how I think you are: it sounds to me like it's saying that Healing via Stormlight and Healing via Regrowth have some sort of difference in how they interact with Self-Image.

31 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Honestly I read this one in particular as the opposite of how I think you are: it sounds to me like it's saying that Healing via Stormlight and Healing via Regrowth have some sort of difference in how they interact with Self-Image.

Guess at this point all we can do is RAFO. 

38 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Guess at this point all we can do is RAFO. 

Agreed. As far as I know the only thing that currently points to them working differently is that one statement from Renarin, who remains an unreliable example to use.  Hopefully we'll get a look at Lift using Regrowth more, and maybe Navani will have some luck recreating the Regrowth Fabrial that she inspected in the Vision.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, animalia said:

How much do you want to bet that Nohadon belonged to multiple orders?

What makes you think that?

I was under the impression that he predated the formation of he Knights Radiant, so he couldn’t have belonged to any order. 

Edited by Scion of the Mists

46 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

What makes you think that?

I was under the impression that he predated the formation of he Knights Radiant, so he couldn’t have belonged to any order. 

Perhaps "bonded spren of mulitiple types would of been a better way to phrase it. And a few things. Like Brandon's claim that "even among surgebinders, among heralds Nohadon was unique." That's not the ONLY thing, but it is ONE thing.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, animalia said:

Perhaps "bonded spren of mulitiple types would of been a better way to phrase it. And a few things. Like Brandon's claim that "even among surgebinders, among heralds Nohadon was unique." That's not the ONLY thing, but it is ONE thing.

Nitpick:   The WOB says he was unique among "Surgebinders and Kings" and specifically confirmed that Nohadon was not a Herald:

Snote85

Is Nohadon a herald. There are tons and tons of little things that make me think this. Like the KR have the Way of Kings to base their views and policies on. Which, as was stated, was written by him. In Dalinar's vision of Nohadon, he says things about surgebindings and implies the man he's speaking to is a leader of an order, like he himself is. We know, from the WoR (In world) excerpts, that all the orders were lead by the heralds, after a time anyway. That's my reasoning, not that you need it, if it's true or not true. I just thought I might clarify why I came to that conclusion.

Brandon Sanderson

Nohadon is not a Herald, but I can see what lead you to think otherwise. Let's just say that even among kings and surgebinders, he was someone special.

General Reddit 2017 (Feb. 10, 2017)

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Nitpick:   The WOB says he was unique among "Surgebinders and Kings" and specifically confirmed that Nohadon was not a Herald:

I am sorry for rembering the quote wrong, and I didn’t mean to imply that he was a herald. My point was that the implication I got was among that group of people he was unique.

43 minutes ago, animalia said:

I am sorry for rembering the quote wrong, and I didn’t mean to imply that he was a herald. My point was that the implication I got was among that group of people he was unique.

How do you all feel about the possibility that Nohadon is going to play out as a christ-figure, and will have been Tanavast attempting to go incognito and walk a mile in Mortal Shoes?  

16 hours ago, Quantus said:

How do you all feel about the possibility that Nohadon is going to play out as a christ-figure, and will have been Tanavast attempting to go incognito and walk a mile in Mortal Shoes?  

Didn't Brandon say that he was based off of King Benjamin, a figure from the Book of Morman https://wob.coppermind.net/events/6-bands-of-mourning-release-party/#e278

Edited by animalia

Slightly off the current topic branch, but still falling under the umbrella of 'Belonging to multiple orders':

Let's say someone managed it, they were found by two spren of different orders who were willing to share a bond, and had Oaths that were not mutually exclusive.  Let's say Windrunners and Edgedancer as an example.  Would that Radiant then be enhanced by the resonance of both orders - extra squires and the Edgedancer resonance (I believe the suspect is a facility of communication)?  Would they have a new resonance for the combination of four surges?  Or would they be approaching Mistborn level where they have two many individual powers to develop a resonance?

I don't think they would develop a resonance for each of the 11 possible power combination of Abrasion, Adhesion, Gravitation and Progression.  And I don't think that four surges is enough to get into the Mistborn level of having too many powers for a resonance to develop.  I feel the most likely case would be a new, previously unheard of resonance would develop for them.

And on a similar vein, as Renarin is bonded to a corrupted Truthwatcher spren, I don't think he will have the normal Truthwatcher resonance.  He will have a new resonance from the combination of Progression and inverted-Illumination, or void-Illumination (however we want to refer to the void-binding versions of the ten surges).  Is it still accurate to call him a Truthwatcher?  Or is he something new?  A Voidwatcher? A Truthfinder?

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

Slightly off the current topic branch, but still falling under the umbrella of 'Belonging to multiple orders':

Let's say someone managed it, they were found by two spren of different orders who were willing to share a bond, and had Oaths that were not mutually exclusive.  Let's say Windrunners and Edgedancer as an example.  Would that Radiant then be enhanced by the resonance of both orders - extra squires and the Edgedancer resonance (I believe the suspect is a facility of communication)?  Would they have a new resonance for the combination of four surges?  Or would they be approaching Mistborn level where they have two many individual powers to develop a resonance?

I don't think they would develop a resonance for each of the 11 possible power combination of Abrasion, Adhesion, Gravitation and Progression.  And I don't think that four surges is enough to get into the Mistborn level of having too many powers for a resonance to develop.  I feel the most likely case would be a new, previously unheard of resonance would develop for them.

And on a similar vein, as Renarin is bonded to a corrupted Truthwatcher spren, I don't think he will have the normal Truthwatcher resonance.  He will have a new resonance from the combination of Progression and inverted-Illumination, or void-Illumination (however we want to refer to the void-binding versions of the ten surges).  Is it still accurate to call him a Truthwatcher?  Or is he something new?  A Voidwatcher? A Truthfinder?

Truthfinder. I like the sound of that :D

1 hour ago, animalia said:

Truthfinder. I like the sound of that :D

Thanks!  I figured I'd play with the name a bit - he has Radiant surge and on potentially Void surge, so I split Truthwatcher into its components, Truth and Watcher, and played with that to try to name him.

4 hours ago, Stark said:

My headcanon is that each combination of powers gives you a separate resonance (similar to how waves work in real life), so there would be a total of 11 different resonances for 4 different powers.  Brandon hasn't directly confirmed this, but some of his wording (e.g. this WoB refers to "these little quirks" plural) also leads me to believe this is the case.  

However, I don't think that you'd actually be able to use the resonances - 11 seems like way too many.  FYI, the most recent resonance WoB we have clarifies that the resonances are still present even in Mistborn (who have 65,519 different combinations), but "they're not as pronounced" (i.e. they're attenuated to the point of uselessness).  

OrangeJedi

Do Mistborn have resonances?

Brandon Sanderson

*Hesitantly* Everybody does, but they're not as pronounced.

OrangeJedi

Is that because they just have so many powers?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

On 9/4/2019 at 2:29 PM, Quantus said:

So I just read the theory about the story of Tsa and the moons being about Cultivation...now I'm wondering if Honor and Tanavast play a role in that lol!

Would the resonances and abilities apply to those who simply use an Honorblade of a different order, rather than bonding an entirely different spren? 

Also, potential multiple bonded Radiants: Kaladin (between his leadership and ability to bring people together (although those are also Windrunner qualities) as well as the little moment with Syl fighting off Gloryspren, I could see him either bonding a Godspren (I hope not!) or using Ishar's Honorblade eventually); Szeth (depending on how Nightblood factors in the future, as well as what happened to that singular voice he used to hear); Shallan (I could see her trying to bond Sja-Anat, if only to make herself invaluable to both the Ghostbloods and the heroes); Adolin (IF he goes the path of Radiants, then I think it might be possible. But I doubt it); Rock (he was a squire of Kaladin IIRC, but the end of OB hinted that he might be joining a different order, so...).

• Chaos locked this topic