Mid-Range Game 36: The Northern Wind

DeTess

All was quiet in the large hangar housing the Northern wind as Professor Iral Evenward made last tour of his majestic creation. The address he had given to the press had gone over well, and he felt pleased with himself. There had been skeptics, of course, but the imminent launch of his creation would put those dissenting voices to rest.

The tinkle of metal dropping on concrete pulled his attention back to the here and now. It seemed to have come from the other side of the scaffolding supporting the airship, where the apparatus creating the gas that would hold the ship aloft was situated.

“Hello? Is someone there?” The professor walked over towards the noise. All the engineers and craftsmen should already have gone home for the day, and the guards didn’t patrol inside the hangar.

He didn’t spot anyone as he arrived at the large machine, but it was immediately clear that something was wrong. The tube connecting the machine to the gasbag had been decoupled, and the highly flammable gas was leaking out into the air! The professor ran towards the machine and started closing valves to shut off the leak. 

So focused  was he on his work that he didn’t see the flaming rag as it got tossed at the machine.
“Alright, listen up everyone!” Foreman Cole’s voice rang out over the milling workers, engineers and future crew of the Northern Wind. “As you no doubt have heard, there’s been an accident here last night. We’re still piecing everything together, but we know that a large explosion badly damaged the airship’s gas bag and the machines for creating lifting gas.This  explosion also badly hurt professor Evenward, though he’s still fighting for his life under the care of some of the best doctors in the city.”

The foreman paused for a second, knowing that what she said next would cause her no end of problems over the coming days. “Whatever happened, it was almost certainly an act of sabotage. Normal accidents don’t knock out guards, nor do they leave them tied up in a janitorial closet. Whoever did this most likely had a pretty good understanding of the work we do here. Work that, until yesterday, was kept secret from everyone but those working on the project.”

“The police are currently working under the assumption that someone here was party to this act of sabotage. If you believe you’ve seen or heard something that might shed light on who was responsible, you’ll bring this information to me. Under no circumstances are you to take matters in your own hands or strive for revenge over this cowardly attack on our work. Bring whatever you think you know to me, and I’ll let the police sort this out.”

“Now, let’s get to work. Just because we’ve had a setback doesn’t mean we can suddenly ignore our deadlines. The Northern Wind will fly as scheduled. We owe the professor that much at least.”

Airship parts:

Spoiler
  1. crew mess
  2. aviar holding area
  3. bridge
  4. communications hut
  5. ship’s laboratory
  6. brig
  7. starboard engine
  8. port engine
  9. sky crane
  10. gas bag (destroyed)

player list

Spoiler
  1. Xinoehp512
  2. Lumgol Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Twenty-Ninth of the Just a Smidge After Twilight... or, I guess, Twi for short
  3. StrikerEZ
  4. BrightnessRadiant
  5. Ventyl
  6. Elandera
  7. Amanuensis as Saluden Leiken, a Willshaper Worldhopper from Roshar.
  8. Ax's boyfriend as Arr K. Thousantoo, an ancient worldhopper who recently recovered from his incident with the constabulary.
  9. MrakeDarshall as Quill, a hemalurgist by trade who was marooned on First of the Sun quite some time ago, and has survived mainly by virtue of his... Er... "pets"
  10. Devotary of spontaneity as Auseor, a merchant working with a group of salvagers.
  11. Mark
  12. Shanerockes
  13. _stick_
  14. TheMightyLopen
  15. Alvron as Second of the Sky
  16. Araris Valerian as fourth of the moon
  17. Burnt spaghetti as 3rd of Sunset

This cycle ends monday 15th of July, 12:00 (noon) Amsterdam time.

Role pm's will be going out shortly after the thread is posted. If you haven't received one by the time an hour or so has passed, send me and/or bard a message.

There is a lynch this cycle.

Edited by Randuir

Sabotage eh? Well that'll do wonders for making the crew work harmoniously together.  Its not like everyone will be paranoid and pointing fingers at anyone and everyone or anything. How delightfully fun and definitely not going to be chaos or anything. Sunset glanced at those around her. Already she felt a sense of unease. The coming days were going to be interesting to say the least.

---

Well then. 

Hello everyone. Been a while :) let's have some fun, shall we? 

I meant to add a character earlier, but I’ll go ahead and do that now since the game’s started. 

~

First of the Dawn had grown up on the mainland for as long as he could remember. She’d always wondered what it would’ve been like to explore the Pantheon. However, ever since the death of her mother, she’d had no way to get back to the islands. So, when she’d been given the opportunity to work on a project that would take her back to the islands, she couldn’t pass it up. 

Finally. A game with rollover at a decent hour. :]

9 ship parts. Noice. I was gonna ask whether the hospital was included, but I guess it's off ship since it's not on the list. Would make sense, especially with the visitors being unable to use actions/vote and all that. Airship parts without a dependant role to it are the starboard engine, port engine, and sky crane, unless I've missed something. There are no secret roles and things (I asked in my GM PM) so it's probably safe to assume these parts serve no purpose other than targets for the elims to sabotage I think. 

Nothing more to say as of now.

6 hours ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Hello everyone. Been a while :) let's have some fun, shall we? 

YAY!  Burnt is back!  At least for now.

3 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

Finally. A game with rollover at a decent hour. :]

Speak for yourself. :P  10pm rollover for me which means no chance of getting me to post 2-3 hours before and 12 hours afterwards so if you want to hear from me, make sure it's not near rollover. :P 

A couple thoughts i had that i thought id share to maybe help discussions begin.

You can be hospitalised via saboteurs, trappers, as well as the laboratory or brig being sabotaged. If i missed one let me know. So thats 3 different ways the saboteurs can hospitalise, and only one thats potentially villager.  So for the most part hospitilisations are more likely going to be villagers than not. But theres nothing stopping the saboteurs from sending on of their own to the hospital, just saying. Id be curious to know if the method of hospitalisation will be covered in write ups- whether its the result of a sabotaged area or an attack, because that could be some useful information.

Whoo, Burnt's playing! This should be fun!

Anyways, I've only got a couple thoughts right now. To echo Burnt, @Randuir, will the write-ups explain how someone was hospitalized? Also, will it be clear whether an area gets sabotaged by the elim team power or by an engineer power? Obviously I don't think any village engineers are gonna be sabotaging our amazing airship, but it could be helpful to know if the elim team has an engineer or not. One last question: Is there a vote minimum for the lynch and what happens in the case of a tie? (ok that's two questions but I always ask them together so whatever)

I do think we should try to get some lynch discussion going. I'll slap a vote down on Lumgol for their controversial post where they said hello and that they were alive which seems pretty suspicious. :P Actually, I'd just like to hear if you've got any thoughts on mechanics or anything really. Just something to give us an idea of what you're thinking about the game right now.

Oh huh, the game has started. Neat.

Minor village read on Burnt and Araris for reasons.

No real suspects yet, so I guess I'll just prod people and see what I can find. @TheMightyLopen TheMightyLopen, would you elaborate on why you don't think villagers will utilize sabotage? Obviously it's risky since it brings one of the elims win conditions a step closer, but I guess it doesn't feel that obvious to me that a village!engineer would never choose to sabotage things.

4 hours ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

You can be hospitalised via saboteurs, trappers, as well as the laboratory or brig being sabotaged. If i missed one let me know. So thats 3 different ways the saboteurs can hospitalise, and only one thats potentially villager.  So for the most part hospitilisations are more likely going to be villagers than not. But theres nothing stopping the saboteurs from sending on of their own to the hospital, just saying. Id be curious to know if the method of hospitalisation will be covered in write ups- whether its the result of a sabotaged area or an attack, because that could be some useful information.

Trappers are the only ones who can ensure that hospitalised patients never leave, so if multiple people get attacked in the same cycle and then one of them is attacked again, that should tell us which one was the Trapper's target even if we don't get informed in the writeup. Doing so would narrow down the Trapper's identity though, between being present in the Hospital doc and not showing up to post in thread. The same is true for a Doctor who wishes to heal a patient. I don't think the best way to hide the identities of these players is to have them not visit the hospital/visit infrequently, or to ask several people to visit the hospital every day as cover, but I don't have any good ideas either.

43 minutes ago, MrakeDarshall said:

Obviously it's risky since it brings one of the elims win conditions a step closer, but I guess it doesn't feel that obvious to me that a village!engineer would never choose to sabotage things.

Nine airship parts is a lot if the elims don't have an engineer in addition to the option to forgo an attack in favour of a sabotage. Still, even with a dead or nonexistent elim engineer and plenty of functioning airship parts, it's dangerous for a village engineer to sabotage something as it takes twice as much work to fix the part afterwards. The most reasonable cases I can think of are if an engineer is sure that there is only one remaining [Airship dependent role] and that they're evil, or an engineer and internal affairs team up to hospitalise someone instead of letting a trapper take responsibility. Both of those require a high degree of confidence that the benefits will outweigh the damage.

3 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Anyways, I've only got a couple thoughts right now. To echo Burnt, @Randuir, will the write-ups explain how someone was hospitalized? Also, will it be clear whether an area gets sabotaged by the elim team power or by an engineer power? Obviously I don't think any village engineers are gonna be sabotaging our amazing airship, but it could be helpful to know if the elim team has an engineer or not.

Sabotage is sabotage, and it won't be differentiated based on which faction did it or whether it was a faction or engineer ability. The same goes for hospitalizations, with no differentiations between elim attacks, part failures and trapper attacks.

3 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

One last question: Is there a vote minimum for the lynch and what happens in the case of a tie? (ok that's two questions but I always ask them together so whatever)

There is no vote minimum and ties are resolved using random chance.

Upon rereading the rules and thinking a little on what Devotary says here: 

7 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Trappers are the only ones who can ensure that hospitalised patients never leave, so if multiple people get attacked in the same cycle and then one of them is attacked again, that should tell us which one was the Trapper's target even if we don't get informed in the writeup. Doing so would narrow down the Trapper's identity though, between being present in the Hospital doc and not showing up to post in thread. The same is true for a Doctor who wishes to heal a patient. I don't think the best way to hide the identities of these players is to have them not visit the hospital/visit infrequently, or to ask several people to visit the hospital every day as cover, but I don't have any good ideas either.

I find it more likely that the SITC might have a Doctor and the NITC might have a Trapper (of course, there might be more than one of each, but we don't know that either). Ican't shake off the feeling that having the distribution like that would make more sense, because having a trapper just grants the SITC 2 kills per day. In a game of 17 people, to me, that feels like a lot.

On the other hand, with a doctor on their side, they can resuscitate any of their members in the hospital, which necessitates a trapper for the village. It seems like it fits, but it's hardly the only possibility. Just one possibility that I thought of. 

On that note, as Devotary said, it seems quite easy at the moment to figure out the identities of the trapper(s) and the doctor(s). I'm not quite sure what to do about that or whether we should just leave it as it is. 

When do you guys think the bird cage will get sabotaged? Sooner or later? Personally, I feel that while it is an appealing target, the Sak and the Kokerlii are better birds for mid/end game situations. 

At the moment, I don't have much else to say really. Just thought I'd give my two cents on the game mechanics. 

Also, given that there's no vote minimum, all the people with poke votes are equally up for the lynch right now. While Araris certainly cast his vote with the most murderous of intentions, I don't think Lopen or Drake Mrake cast their votes to kill their targets. 

@Amanuensis you want to say anything to Araris?

Edited by Mark IV

8 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Unless visitors to the hospital are announced in thread (@Randuir) or everyone besides the one visitor happen to post in the thread that cycle, I don't think this is that big of a problem. Granted, I wouldn't be that surprised if either of those things happened. That could make things very difficult.

1 hour ago, Mark IV said:

When do you guys think the bird cage will get sabotaged? Sooner or later? Personally, I feel that while it is an appealing target, the Sak and the Kokerlii are better birds for mid/end game situations. 

I think it'll probably get sabotaged pretty early. It would make sense for the elims to gather up all the Aviars in the first couple cycles, then sabotage the holding area so that none of the village can get any birds for the rest of the game.

16 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Unless visitors to the hospital are announced in thread (@Randuir) or everyone besides the one visitor happen to post in the thread that cycle, I don't think this is that big of a problem. Granted, I wouldn't be that surprised if either of those things happened. That could make things very difficult.

Visitors to the hospital are announced in the thread.

Just now, Randuir said:

Visitors to the hospital are announced in the thread.

Oh...well, that makes it harder to hide who the Trapper(s) and Doctor(s) are. Unless we do like Devotary suggested and have multiple people visit the hospital at a time, it looks like it'll be really easy to figure out who has those roles. I'd suggest that those roles save visiting the hospital until they're absolutely certain their target is village or elim, respectively.