Mid-Range Game 36: The Northern Wind

DeTess

An expectant buzz filled the air as the last journalists to arrive took their seats in front of the small stage. Journalists all across the country had been expecting an invitation to this press conference for several months now. It was common knowledge that the Norther Interest Trading Company was up to something big, but so far they'd managed to keep the exact nature of their project a secret.

Today, that secrecy was coming to an end.

The murmur of conversation among the journalists abruptly cut off as a bearded and bespectacled man took to the stage. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please?" He asked, unnecessarily. "As you are all aware, the Northern Interest Trading Company has suffered many losses over the past years in our efforts to decypher the mysteries of the Pantheon Islands. Many have wondered whether the eventual reward is worth the effort. To this question I say 'yes, a thousand times over!' Its ever been the nature of humanity to explore and innovate, no matter the cost. If we where not to give in to this impulse, we would not be human!"

"However, just as our drive to explore pushes us up against new difficulties, so does our capability to innovate provide new solutions. Over the past year, our scientists and engineers have been working tirelessly to design and create a new sort of vessel. A ship that does not have to brave the dangerous waters around the Pantheon to bring its crew tot he prize. A ship that is not limited to the well-explored beaches we have been limited to before. A ship that, for the first time in our history, will allow a group of intrepid explorers to take to the sky!"

"Ladies and gentlemen..." With a loud grinding noise, the large hangar doors behind the stage started to glide open to reveal the majestic airship within. "I present to you: The Northern Wind!"

General rules

Spoiler

General rules:
Factions
Southern Influence Commerce Syndicate Saboteurs

You’ve heard of the NITC’s new project, and decided it could do with a couple of set-backs while the parent company rush their own air-ship into production.

This is the eliminiation team. Each cycle, this faction can either attack one player or sabotage one airship part. Victory is achieved when all airship parts have been sabotaged or all NITC players have been hospitalized or dismissed. The faction has a doc to conspire in.

Northern Interest Trading Company

This faction is making the final preparations for the Northern Wind’s maiden voyage. Construction work is being finished up, and you are all preparing for and looking forward to the big expedition. This faction wins when all SITC saboteurs have been dismissed from the project or have been hospitalized.

The airship

The airship will play an important role in this game. It has a number of critical parts. If all parts are sabotaged, the NITC loses the game. The amount of parts will be based on the amount of players participating (though not on a 1:1 basis).

Dismissal vote

This is the lynch. It is used to decide who should be dismissed from the project and put under police investigation. It works just like any other lynch, only your character is merely fired and imprisoned, not outright killed. The role and alignment of the dismissed person is revealed.

Hospital

Any player that gets attacked gets sent to the hospital. The role, but not the alignment, of someone who has been hospitalized is revealed.

They get access to a shared doc with everyone else in the hospital, but they won’t be able to talk in the main thread, or respond to PM’s. All people in the hospital are immune to all actions except the dismissal vote or actions submitted by someone visiting the hospital

Any player can decide to visit the hospital by simply sending a message to the GM stating that you want to visit the hospital in the next cycle. This does not cost an action. Visitors to the hospital can’t post in the thread, vote or use actions other than the doctor’s heal or the trapper’s attack, but they do get access to the hospital doc. At the end of the cycle they leave the hospital again. Note that visitors are not immune to being attacked, or to being targeted by any other role. Elims will not be allowed to talk in the elim doc while visiting the hospital.

If a person gets hospitalized for a second time (either by getting attacked by a visitor or after having been healed by a doctor and then getting attacked again) their alignment will be revealed and they can no longer be healed by a doctor. They will remain in the hospital doc, however.

PM’s

PM’s are closed, except for specific roles/abilities.

Cycle length

48 hour cycles, with no split between day and night.

Roles and airship parts

Spoiler

Everyone can submit a single action per cycle at most. Both factions can hold any of the roles listed below.

General roles
Engineer: Engineers are the lifeblood of the airship. They know it back to front, and know exactly what needs to happen to keep it operational. An unscrupulous engineer could also use that knowledge to break things, however. Every cycle, an engineer can submit an order to repair or sabotage an airship part. Two repair orders need to be submitted to fix a sabotaged part, but these two orders don't have to be submitted by the same engineer.
Doctor: A doctor can spend a cycle in the hospital, following the same rules as a visitor. At the end of the cycle, one hospitalized person of their choice can return to work. If a person gets hospitalized for a second time, he’s injured too badly and can’t be healed again.
Trapper: You’ve been hired by the NITC to help their expedition. Unlike the corporate softies, you have no problem with getting your hands dirty to solve a problem. You can hospitalize one player each cycle.

Airship-dependent roles
Each of these roles needs a particular key airship part to do their job. If this part is not operational, they can not use their role. If a part is sabotaged while in use, it can have an effect on the people using it, depending on the part.
Internal Affairs: You've been hired to keep an eye on the workers and make sure none of them are selling information to the company's rivals. every cycle, you can lock one player in the brig for one cycle. that player is role-blocked, but also protected from all attacks.
If the brig gets sabotaged, all persons that are currently locked up are hospitalized.
Navigator: You will be responsible for getting the ship to its destination once it sets out on its journey. For now, you're tasked with familiarizing yourself with tools at your disposal on the airship's bridge. These tools include a number of high-power search-lights. Every cycle you can use these lights to track one person. The target of any action that person submits that cycle will be revealed in the write-up. (For Example: Melon Dingo targeted Amber Vulture, or Mauve crocodile targeted the Starboard Engine)
If the bridge gets sabotaged while in use, a flash of light from the lights will blind the navigator for one cycle. If they vote in the next cycle, it is redirected to a random person.
Biologist: you've studied the flora and fauna of the Pantheon in detail, and will accompany the expedition to aid in the capture and study of the Aviars. Right now there's not much to do for you though. You do have access to the ship's laboratory, as well as a stack of detective novels. Each cycle you can target a single person, including someone in the hospital. You'll learn the identity of one person that interacted with them the previous cycle. Voting (either getting voted on by the target or voting on the target) and Actions (either targeting the target or being done by the target) count as interactions.
If the laboratory is sabotaged while occupied, one occupant at random is hospitalized.
Messenger: It's your job to communicate back to the company's headquarters once the expedition leaves. To do so, you've got access to all of the most modern technologies in the communications hut, as well as messenger pigeons. Each cycle you can send a single message to HQ (aka: the spectator doc). You'll receive a short reply whenever your boss feels like sending one back.
Special parts
In addition to the airship parts required by specialized roles, there are some that everyone can use as long as the part remains operational by submitting an action.
Crew's Mess
This room provides a place for the crew to eat, relax and unwind. It also contains a message-board where people can leave anonymous messages. If this room gets sabotaged the messages posted that cycle are still posted, but will not be anonymous.
Aviar Holding area
The Holding area will carry the Aviar back from the Pantheon. Several Aviar and other birds are currently being kept there to test the facilities. Crewmen are encouraged to interact with the birds to learn their behaviour. You can use an action to request an Aviar for the next cycle, but no more than three Aviar are loaned per cycle. The birds available are:
Sak: This bird warns you of impending danger by showing you visions of your own mutilated body. If you would be hospitalized while caring for this bird, you are instead role-blocked. The human psyche can only handle seeing themselves die a couple of times, so you can only benefit from a Sak once per game, and you will not receive the bird again once you've received the benefit.
Kokerlii: Shrouds your thoughts from the dangerous predators hunting on the Pantheon, which is not particularly useful here. It's also a particularly pretty bird with a mind of its own that'll prevent people from tracking you.
Pair of Kukupa twins: This Peculiar bird is always born as twins, and can communicate quickly over long distances, as well as mimic human speech in a manner similar to a  parrot. You can open a single PM with another person for as long as you've got the birds. This does not cost an action.
If the holding area is sabotaged, everyone gets a bird at random. The Saboteur is guaranteed to get an Aviar. These birds do not have to be returned until the Holding Area is repaired.

For this game @Young Bard will be my co-GM, and @Fifth Scholar will be the impartial moderator. This game is planned to start July 10th at 12:00 Amsterdam time, but with two games starting rather close together the game's start might be delayed slightly if necessary.

FAQ:

Player list:

1. Xinoehp512
  2. Lumgol Eight Thousand Five Hundred and Twenty-Ninth of the Just a Smidge After Twilight... or, I guess, Twi for short
  3. StrikerEZ
  4. BrightnessRadiant
  5. Ventyl
  6. Elandera
  7. Amanuensis as Saluden Leiken, a Willshaper Worldhopper from Roshar.
  8. Ax's boyfriend as Arr K. Thousantoo, an ancient worldhopper who recently recovered from his incident with the constabulary.
  9. MrakeDarshall as Quill, a hemalurgist by trade who was marooned on First of the Sun quite some time ago, and has survived mainly by virtue of his... Er... "pets"
  10. Devotary of spontaneity as Auseor, a merchant working with a group of salvagers.
  11. Mark
  12. Shanerockes
  13. _stick_
  14. TheMightyLopen
  15. Alvron as Second of the Sky
  16. Araris Valerian as fourth of the moon
  17. Burnt spaghetti as 3rd of Sunset

Spectators:

1. Furamirionind
  2. Butt Ad Venture
  3. Snipexe
  4. Rathmaskal
  5. cadmium compounder

Quick links:

Edited by Elbereth

I'll play as Saludan Leiken (Sal for short), a Willshaper Worldhopper from Roshar.

ED1TING IN RP FROM MR11:

THREE AND A HALF YEARS LATER

Rain pattered on dark glass, the collective moisture distorting the shadow of a face cast upon it. Where beams of light shined through the torrential darkness, scenes of chaos were briefly revealed. Autos carrying people and equipment, engineers sprinting with machine parts, a tall man wearing a wide-brimmed hat shouting from the top of a makeshift tower. All of them were gathered here for one purpose. One mission. A mission centered on the immense airship that loomed above them all.

The best of the best. The Northern Wind.

And Saludan Leiken would be its Captain.

Edited by Amanuensis
Adding New RP

I do believe I recall reading the post from the AoGC thread a while back, and saying to myself I would want to play this one. This setup looks pretty weird, but weird in a good way.

Sign me up as...

Technically, the only character I have from First of the Sun would be Quill. So sign me up as Quill, a hemalurgist by trade who was marooned on First of the Sun quite some time ago, and has survived mainly by virtue of his... Er... "pets"

As thanks for deliverance from isolation on the islands, he has agreed to tag along for a single expedition back to the Pantheon on behalf of the Northern Interests Trading Company.

If the holding area is sabotaged, everyone gets a bird at random. The Saboteur is guaranteed to get an Aviar.

So does this mean that there are some generic birds that aren't actually Aviar?

2 hours ago, MrakeDarshall said:

So does this mean that there are some generic birds that aren't actually Aviar?

That is correct. If more than three people try to get an Aviar from the holding area only three will get an Aviar, and the rest will get a chicken or whatever other bird Bard or me feels like handing out. Likewise, if the holding area gets sabotaged some people will get an Aviar, and other people will get a more generic bird.

The start of the game will likely be delayed a bit, as I'd like to have 12 players as a minimum, and ideally closer to 15-20.

I really really want to play, but due to already participating in the LG, and having a vacation going on, which will force me to mostly use mobile, on a more limited basis. So I will ask to join the spec Doc.