Moash v Kaladin

Benedictify

I noticed recently that Kaladin has a "lighteyes name", and the lighteyes only have their position because of their similarity to the Radiants, while Moash has an ancient Singer's name... interesting. 

I also noticed (in re-reading Oathbringer) that Moash has a voice in his head saying "it's not your fault", and he embraces that idea, while Dalinar at the Battle of Thaylen Field accepts responsibility for what he did, and is thus able to escape Odium's control. 

Moash goes further down the revenge path, Kaladin (through the first two books at least) goes through a large transformation around his own feelings of vengeance, choosing to protect instead.

It's like holding on to your own ego and what it wants, vs. choosing humility and acceptance

11 hours ago, Benedictify said:

I noticed recently that Kaladin has a "lighteyes name", and the lighteyes only have their position because of their similarity to the Radiants, while Moash has an ancient Singer's name... interesting. 

Its the name a man from an educated family.  Lighteyed names have meanings.  Like Adolin means "he who is born unto light."  Darkeyed names don't have any real meaning.  Kaladin got his name because his parents have some formal education.

28 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

I want to know what language theyre using to define the names. What ancient language is the ancestral root? 

The below WoB does not exactly answer your question, but does give further information that you might enjoy

IneptProfessional

Since you mention languages on Roshar, are there any languages that are completely unrelated to any other on the planet?

Brandon Sanderson

Our basic language families are:

Vorin: Alethi, Veden, Herdazian, and more distantly Thaylen. Nathan is close to dead, but shares a root, and Karbranthian is basically a dialect. Other minor languages like Bav are in here.

Makabaki: Azish is king here, and most the languages around split off this. There are around thirty of these.

Dawnate: A varied language family with distant roots in the dawnchant. Shin, parshendi, Horneater. They share grammar, but they diverged long enough ago that the vocabulary is very different.

Iri: Iriali, Reshi, Purelake dialects, Riran, and some surrounding languages.

Aimian: These two are lumped together, but are very different. Probably what you were looking for.

That isn't counting spren languages, of course. I might have missed something. Typing on my phone without my wiki handy.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

Its the name a man from an educated family.  Lighteyed names have meanings.  Like Adolin means "he who is born unto light."  Darkeyed names don't have any real meaning.  Kaladin got his name because his parents have some formal education.

Sooooo what if Darkeyes have some Singer's/Dawnate names because their cultures used to be close once? So in the Alethi language, darkeyes names don't mean anything, but in either the ancient version of a human language, or the Singer's language, they actually have a meaning? I mean, in the real world, too, all words and names once had a meaning, they come from somewhere. It's possible that they aren't understood anymore.

58 minutes ago, Wind_Breaker said:

Sooooo what if Darkeyes have some Singer's/Dawnate names because their cultures used to be close once? So in the Alethi language, darkeyes names don't mean anything, but in either the ancient version of a human language, or the Singer's language, they actually have a meaning? I mean, in the real world, too, all words and names once had a meaning, they come from somewhere. It's possible that they aren't understood anymore.

Moash does not seem to fit in in with other darkeyed names that we have heard.  I think he is different then your average darkeyes.  There names are generally much shorter and they are created by generally illiterate people who don't necessarily have time for wordsmithing or the necessary knowledge of grammar and linguistics.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

Moash does not seem to fit in in with other darkeyed names that we have heard.  I think he is different then your average darkeyes.  There names are generally much shorter and they are created by generally illiterate people who don't necessarily have time for wordsmithing or the necessary knowledge of grammar and linguistics.

Moash's name apparently originated with the ancient singers, so it makes sense that it's unusual.

• Chaos locked this topic