Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ookla the Aleatory

Default Font

4 posts in this topic

Did the default font change again?

I'm almost positive it's fully Calibri like it used to be, but now there seems to be Arial for other things, like the "Create New Topic" title at the top of this page. That might have been like that before, though. 

The font for posts, at least, looks different. Is that just my imagination?

It's never been Calibri. It's always been Arial. It has not changed in a very long time. On desktop you can right click on anything and say Inspect element to view its styles and you can see what font it is.

Everything makes so much sense now. Thank you. This has been confusing me for months. It’s never been the font, but rather the size. Arial is weird and doesn’t shrink the letters proportionally. The ‘o’s and many other letters become rounder as they shrink and make it look like it might be a different font when it’s not.

Results of experimenting below proving the increase in width for anyone who might possibly interested*:

Spoiler

Sentence with first letter about the same size/second sentence slightly larger:

Spoiler

5d1a210dd6df9_Screenshot2019-07-01at10_55_59AM.png.5f69bf79b464480a5def081fde27586e.png

If they were the same, there would be a way to make them line up perfectly, but they never do. I tried layering, stretching, cropping individual letters--nothing worked.

Letter 'o' with the same width**:

Spoiler

5d1a211cb1b82_Screenshot2019-07-01at10_58_46AM.png.43809f972a36c40931c8fa7de1a9ffdf.png

Letter 'o' with the same height**:

Spoiler

5d1a21157b186_Screenshot2019-07-01at10_58_26AM.png.72d975c75b2e43c9e7687e0e2bc57870.png

*Disclaimer: There is a margin error that was not accounted for.

**Margin of error is especially strong here.

Various people do adjust their font size on posts, which could account for what you saw.