direktator

DESIGN PROJECT : Bollywood Stormlight

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

New member here!

So I just finished Oathbringer and my heart just shattered into pieces knowing that Kaladin/Shallan isn't happening. Don't worry, I'll learn to live with it! (or maybe I'll ship the OT3, because why not?)

To channel my woes and sorrows, I decided to focus on the other thing I love about this series : the unique world building. In here I'll be challenging myself to design concepts for a mock Stormlight IP (be it a game or a movie, I'm still not sure). DISCLAIMER : The designs I post here will take liberties from the description the have in the book. My mind's eye is kind of a rebel in that sense. The artwork you will see will be a combination of the book's description, Shallan's sketches and my own flavor mixed in.

I hope to post every week to keep my skills up and eventually have a complete portfolio for myself. Suggestions and inputs for inspiration and references are greatly appreciated!

07/01/2019 - INSPIRATION

I started reading TWoK 2 years ago and only got back to it this year. I got hooked enough to finally finish all three books and the Alethi culture just screamed 1300s Middle East-South Asia. The Kholin Monarchy, where you had one king and a dozen or so high princes with a 'department' assigned to them reminded me of Persia's shah and sastraps system. Another clue that really influenced the design I wanted to make was the concept of a safehand and havah, two fashion elements that brought the sari, kameezes and kurtiz in mind. ladymxdnight from discord, really helped me out on that one. And lastly, the one element that really sealed the deal on how I saw SA's world was the Parshendi singing in battle. When I read that, I knew I had to go Bollywood. Yep, you read that right. If it were up to me, SA would be a Bollywood film.

Thankfully, a really great Bollywood film came out a few years ago that got me really excited to design SA in this direction : Padmavaat by  Sanjay Leela Bansali   

01020304-07-01at2_32_48PM.thumb.png.37a13d150d042dbfec0cb6e3ed3dee0a.png0506

INTIAL SKETCHES 

As any concept artist will tell you, warm ups are important. After seeking out my references, studying them and recreating them to an almost maddening degree, I started doing simple and quick sketches to further flesh out the designs I see in my mind. Below are quick concepts for the Kholin Uniform, Jasnah and Shallan's Kharbranth havah and initial portrait sketches of Adolin, Elhokar and Kaladin. 

02 01

See you next week!

Edited by direktator
UPDATE

I wanted to share the concept sketches for Navani and Jasnah! I'm pretty happy with these roughs and will proceed to finishing themjasnah.thumb.png.31cc57da41de6436eb431dca8faaa07f.png

navani.thumb.png.73e8b520244825960c3b2ced2a368472.png

Awesome work! It's really fun to see a Bollywood style take on SLA.

The havah designs are great, and I love your stylized incorporation of the glyphs too.

One thing that would be great to see is infused gems in the costume designs, I'm excited to see what else you come up with!

3 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Awesome work! It's really fun to see a Bollywood style take on SLA.

The havah designs are great, and I love your stylized incorporation of the glyphs too.

One thing that would be great to see is infused gems in the costume designs, I'm excited to see what else you come up with!

That's a great idea! Alot of Middle Eastern/ South Asian armor and fashion have metal like bindings to them and it'll be an interesting look to add to the Parshendi

Ooooh, that's a cool idea!

I'm still low key mad at Shallan but my heart has healed enough for me to do a sketch of her

shallan.thumb.png.b0d2f28dcf61d91e9e27c9e9f2681ae7.png