Hollow Knight Discussion Topic (+ Memes for funsies)

47 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Nice job man! I still haven't beaten Pantheon of the Sage. Tell me how all goes with Pure Vessel!

I’ve made it to the end of the pantheon and then lost against the Pure Vessel; it’s not extremely difficult, just frustrating, especially when you’re trying to heal. I’ve got the quick-focus, deep-focus, and shape of Unn equipped, and I still usually get hit while trying to heal:wacko:

Anyways, practicing against it in the hall of the gods is very helpful too; the worst part is how long its intro takes

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

I’ve made it to the end of the pantheon and then lost against the Pure Vessel; it’s not extremely difficult, just frustrating, especially when you’re trying to heal. I’ve got the quick-focus, deep-focus, and shape of Unn equipped, and I still usually get hit while trying to heal:wacko:

Anyways, practicing against it in the hall of the gods is very helpful too; the worst part is how long its intro takes

I would recommend watching Perpetual Noob's guide on Pure Vessel. He's got some good tips for the pantheon, along with Pure Vessel itself

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am currently on my first playthrought (not sure about the spelling, I'm french anyways) and I have but the watcher knights to beat before the hollow knight, is Jhonnie's blessing a good bet for them? Should I combo with hiveblood?

Edited by Knight in Silknsong!!!!
Missing a word

4 hours ago, Knight in Silknsong!!!! said:

Hey guys, I am currently on my first playthrought (not sure about the spelling, I'm french anyways) and I have but the watcher knights to beat before the hollow knight, is Jhonnie's blessing a good bet for them? Should I combo with hiveblood?

First off, welcome to the Shard! We’re glad to have you!

Ok, so Jhonnie’s Blessing sounds very good for the Watcher Knights, I’ve heard that’s what a lot of people use with them. If you wanted to, try combining it with other lifeblood charms, it will let you soak up ridiculous amounts of health while only focusing on attacking. I wouldn’t recommend hiveblood, you have to wait a while to get that mask back, and imho, it’s just not worth it to try and dodge for that long. I always take a couple of hits from the watcher knights, but you may be a lot more skilled at dodging than I am:P

Here’s a separate charm layout that I recommend for any boss fight, it lets you heal insane amounts of health while mobile, so you can pretty much cheese your way through most boss fights if you’re careful. It goes as follows: Deep Focus, Quick Focus, Shape of Unn, Grubsong, and Thorns of Agony. I don’t know if you have all of these charms (or enough notches), but the first three are vital for this charm layout to work; you can get rid of the last two if you really need them.

One last thing, if you didn’t already know this, in the room right outside the chamber with the watcher knights, you can mantis claw up to the ceiling, break it, and then find a rope you can cut to eliminate one of the knights before the battle even begins.

Hope this helps!

I don't have thorns of agony yet (but I am looking forward to get it/them) nor shape of Unn, I use quick focus, mark of pride+longnail a lot, so I'm gonna see what I can do. By the way, thanks for the chandelier tip, I already knew it; but who cares? Considering the fact that we are all men of great taste (regarding video games) I would highly recommend you guys try Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (on switch) or Monster Hunter World (on steam). (PS: there is no way I dodge better than you, at least he bouncing roles.)

4 hours ago, Knight in Silknsong!!!! said:

I don't have thorns of agony yet (but I am looking forward to get it/them) nor shape of Unn, I use quick focus, mark of pride+longnail a lot, so I'm gonna see what I can do. By the way, thanks for the chandelier tip, I already knew it; but who cares? Considering the fact that we are all men of great taste (regarding video games) I would highly recommend you guys try Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (on switch) or Monster Hunter World (on steam). (PS: there is no way I dodge better than you, at least he bouncing roles.)

So, apologies for being slightly off-topic here, but have you read much of Brandon Sanderson's works @Knight in Silknsong!!!!?

35 minutes ago, Knight in Silknsong!!!! said:

Nope; what does it talk about? Is it good? Anyways, how on Earth do you beat these watcher knights, the whole game is easy save the pantheon, the coliseum and the watcher knights. And of top of that, I am loaded on work.:(

Anyways, do you guys know some metroidvania/FPS that are worth it?

Well I would recommend you read them, I think they're quite good, but this kinda happens to be a forum mostly dedicated to talking about Sanderson's books... 

This one thread is about the only place on this site where Hollow Knight is much of a topic of discussion. If you're looking to find more of a Hollow Knight-centric discussion place, about the only place I can think to refer you to is the Hollow Knight subreddit. Apologies if we've caused any confusion^_^

• 2 months later...

Hello yes I too play the game Empty Soldier. 
Void Guardsman 
Unfilled Paladin
Vacant Mercenary 

for real though this game is awesome and this thread is therefore awesome by association. I am playing through for the first time, and I have just gotten through the crystal peaks and have no idea where to go. I’ve been way way far down, past the city place and past the sewer place and I think even past the place after that but I couldn’t do anything. I also went all the way back to the very beginning on a whim and holy crap there’s a whole area up here. This game gives me chills. Anyway, where are you supposed to go after crystal place?

7 hours ago, Danex said:

Void Guardsman 
Unfilled Paladin
Vacant Mercenary 

for real though this game is awesome and this thread is therefore awesome by association. I am playing through for the first time, and I have just gotten through the crystal peaks and have no idea where to go. I’ve been way way far down, past the city place and past the sewer place and I think even past the place after that but I couldn’t do anything. I also went all the way back to the very beginning on a whim and holy crap there’s a whole area up here. This game gives me chills. Anyway, where are you supposed to go after crystal place?

Kinda a spoiler not huge if you don’t know what I’m talking about

Spoiler

Have you found any of the Dreamers yet?

13 hours ago, Danex said:

Void Guardsman 
Unfilled Paladin
Vacant Mercenary 

Spoiler

Have you found the dream nail yet?

Sort of spoiler I guess

On 8/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Darkfinder said:

Have you found the dream nail yet?

I had not when you first posted this 

but now I do. 

Ive also found one dreamer I think. I thought dreamers would be bosses but it just stood there while I whacked it.

It was in the place below mantis village.

all black and creepy. 

also I think I actually killed some people with the dream nail. Like some ghosts or something. In the resting grounds place. I wanted to read their thoughts with the dream nail but they literally just died...

i feel guilty.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:21 PM, Danex said:

I had not when you first posted this 

but now I do. 

Ive also found one dreamer I think. I thought dreamers would be bosses but it just stood there while I whacked it.

It was in the place below mantis village.

all black and creepy. 

also I think I actually killed some people with the dream nail. Like some ghosts or something. In the resting grounds place. I wanted to read their thoughts with the dream nail but they literally just died...

i feel guilty.

I killed all the people in the Resting Grounds. Like sure I feel bad but also I want dat Essence. 

Also has anyone here done the Delicate Flower quest? I've been trying for a while and it's storming impossible. What route did y'all take?

Edited by revelryintheart

1 hour ago, revelryintheart said:

Also has anyone here done the Delicate Flower quest? I've been trying for a while and it's storming impossible. What route did y'all take?

As someone who did complete the Delicate Flower quest, I'll tell you my strategy. So, what you do is first take a stagway to the Queen's Garden station. Plot a course as you see fit from that room to where the grey mourner is, and go there, killing all the enemies in your path. When you reach the Grey Mourner's hut Do not sit on the bench. Sitting on the bench will cause most of the major enemies you just killed to respawn. Retrace your steps back to the Queen's garden station, and avoid the thorns on the path to the Traitor's Grave.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Man traitor lord is hard, anyone got any tips? My current strategy is going all lifeblood, I can get 19 masks with the right combo. I can’t really find any consistent spots to heal in his fight, so I decided healing was moot and went with lifeblood. I do have cloth fighting with me if that affects strategy. I think the worst part about the fight is how the closest bench is hecking miles away with a ton of thorn parkour in between. That’s one downside to using a lifeblood build, if I take damage from thorns on the way there I enter the fight at a huge disadvantage. Is there really no closer bench? 

Also, continuing to have a surprisingly big moral dilemma about killing these ghost people to collect their essence. Like, I’m actually gonna have ptsd or something from this. 

Also Also, did y’all banish the Grimm Troupe or not, I guess it just comes down to what charm you want, Grimmchild or the song one. Grimmchild seems kinda super weak right now, does it get strong enough to be better than a charm that makes it possible to take literally no damage?

10 hours ago, Danex said:

Man traitor lord is hard, anyone got any tips? My current strategy is going all lifeblood, I can get 19 masks with the right combo. I can’t really find any consistent spots to heal in his fight, so I decided healing was moot and went with lifeblood. I do have cloth fighting with me if that affects strategy. I think the worst part about the fight is how the closest bench is hecking miles away with a ton of thorn parkour in between. That’s one downside to using a lifeblood build, if I take damage from thorns on the way there I enter the fight at a huge disadvantage. Is there really no closer bench? 

Also, continuing to have a surprisingly big moral dilemma about killing these ghost people to collect their essence. Like, I’m actually gonna have ptsd or something from this. 

Also Also, did y’all banish the Grimm Troupe or not, I guess it just comes down to what charm you want, Grimmchild or the song one. Grimmchild seems kinda super weak right now, does it get strong enough to be better than a charm that makes it possible to take literally no damage?

Don’t count on Cloth for anything. Pretend she isn’t there and you’ll do better. Besides that, The Traitor Lord only has like three or four moves, which with enough practice become super super easy to dodge. The only reason they’re dangerous is because they deal two damage. But stay on the defensive, and strike right after he’s attacked. There’s no right or wrong charm layout for this battle, but sharp shadow would be particularly helpful.

AND YEAH I feel very bad killing ghost people too. I have yet to touch any spirits inside the graveyard (except for one, as an experiment).

I vanished the Grimm Troupe, but I’m regretting it now because I don’t get the best minion in the game. On the plus side, (small spoiler) 

Spoiler

Now I get new dirtmouth music!

24 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

(except for one, as an experiment)

*Revek Disliked that*

But yeah @Danex, I'll just echo Truthless's thoughts. You can really use whatever charm build works with your style of combat. For instance, if you have a primarily spell focused style, I'd recommend building something based around soul, Like (Soul Catcher, Shaman Stone, Spell Twister), or if you use your nail a lot, something like (Long Nail/Mark of Pride, Quick Focus, Grubsong). I'd definitely recommend putting Sharp Shadow high on your list of charms to use, as it allows you to do .5 of your nail's max damage when Shadow Dashing through an enemy, but it also increases the length of your shadow dash, making some of the platforming tricky

I don’t have sharp shadow, its one of the 4 I’m missing. I need the very last one that turns into another one, the one I’m (assuming) you get from getting all grubs (last one in first row), sharp shadow, and one I don’t know. Do any of you know off the top of your head where sharp shadow is? 

Also, I just got the 900 essence reward and holy crap

Spoiler

It’s the travel medallion from botw. I’m so freakin happy, I can skip all the parkour up to traitor lord now. This is the best thing I’ve ever gotten. 

I got the 1200 essence reward too, and I’ve gotten every single tree thing and warriors dream, but I don’t have 1500 yet. Do I have to kill everyone in the spirits glade now?!? I really don’t want to ;-; 

11 hours ago, Danex said:

I got the 1200 essence reward too, and I’ve gotten every single tree thing and warriors dream, but I don’t have 1500 yet. Do I have to kill everyone in the spirits glade now?!? I really don’t want to ;-;

You should be able to awaken the Dream Nail without killing anyone in the Spirit's Glade. Are you sure you've gotten every tree and warrior dream? Have you tried going after the dream versions of bosses like Soul Master, and Broken Vessel?

Also, here's a map to where Sharp Shadow is. The Little red circle is where you'll find the area where it is

1245252919_preview_sharpshadowlocation.thumb.png.9fe66ea84cbbc78607394b90d3604a17.png

On 8/23/2020 at 8:39 AM, Wyndlerunner said:

Have you tried going after the dream versions of bosses like Soul Master, and Broken Vessel?

Oh, I didn’t know dream bosses gave you essence. I tried the Broken Vessel dream fight for a while but figured there wouldn’t be any reward, so I left. I’ll be sure to go smack em real good now. 

In other news, I finally beat Traitor Lord, I’ve got all the grubs, and I have the pure nail.  Seems like things are starting to wrap up, there’s almost nowhere else to go. I think the only blocked path and only area I haven’t been to yet is past the Watcher Knights. I am still missing 1 charm. The 6th one, after Shaman Stone. (Technically missing 1.5, gotta get the other half of the one). Other than that, I’m feeling like things are reaching an end. I know there’s still a ton of stuff to do, but I’ve been everywhere. It’s like, there’s no more Unknown regions. It’s like I’m both proud, and sad. Proud, because I’ve managed to explore this vast region, but also sad, because I have nothing left to discover. No more maps from Cornifer, no more hidden grubs to free, no more Stag Stations. It’s bittersweet ya know?

edit: literally 2 minutes after posting this I found Soul Eater. Only .5 charms to go!

Edited by Danex